Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2006, 01:18   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
When he suggested “...You'll either end up paying less. Or more, ...”, Kevin reminded me of the scientist who said (speaking of extraterrestrial life) ”There’s either life out there, or there isn’t - either proposition is mind boggling”
Anyone recall who that was (I don’t)?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:28   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Fees here on the lower Chesapeake vary quite a bit. For say a 40 ft boat. Some of the more out of the way places will cost $7 / ft / year (we don''t have to haul in the winter). Our Yacht Club charge $75 / month. Places near bigger cities will go up from $9 to $10.

At the fancy marinas on holidays they want 2 night minimum with rates in the $3/ft/day. Northern Bay on the weekends can go $4.50 / ft / day. Off season (end of September to end of May) around here $2.50 to $1.75 /ft /day. All these won't include electric that can be $5 - $8 / day but can include TV and Internet.

All the per foot fees often have a minimum that seems to hit for boats at least 30 some odd fet long so a 28 ft boat pasy like a 30 ft. We are doing a special trip this 4th of July and will spend two nights at Tides Inn. It's a nice resort and they get minimum $100 / day over that weekend through the 4th. Right now thay want minimum Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights in a row but they let us have Sat / Sunday. The US Air force Air Combat Command Band does a great concert in the town every year just before the 4th.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:37   #18

Gord.

Sounds like your talking about Carl Sagan?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 18:19   #19
Kai Nui

Paul, are you aware of any additional fees there for multihulls?
Old 07-04-2006, 19:04   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Multihulls are mostly a problem of space to put them. I'm not aware of any extra fees (maybe some places). Mostly you have to go at the end of T dock as there are not many slips set up for them. I'm not sure why though. Multihulls are not that uncommon around here. The brand new marina at CApe Charles is set up with 50 ft slips double wide so you would easily fit there but occupy 2 slips. Not sure if they would charge a lot extra. Off season no problem though. Weekend holidays all bets are off.

If you get in the neighborhood let me know. I'm the dockmaster at our community marina and we have a 45ft T dock with deep water. Multihull or not .
Old 07-04-2006, 20:00   #21
Kai Nui

Deep water is another interesting point. When we stopped at the fuel dock in Pittsburg, Ca before bringing the Challenger down here, we grounded with 5'6" draft. At the fuel dock!
Old 07-04-2006, 21:57   #22

There's this one place that I'm highly considering for my home port marina. I talked to them by phone (two) weeks ago.

I told them what the draft of my boat was. My draft is 5ft. The harbor master said, that at low tide. It wouldn't look pretty. The owner of the marina is suppose to have a dredger come in. And dredge the slips out. Making them deeper.

Then it would work for me by then in September/October?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-04-2006, 03:35   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Draft is an issue here too. I draw 5-3 and there are places I can't go and marinas I can't get in or out at low tide. Mnay small marinas can't handle you if you ned a lot of water at low tide. We have a nomnal 3 ft tide range so you really can't forget to ask thatose questions either.

I'm lucky my slip has 6-8 at a low low tide.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:43   #24

Yeah Paul.

The one thing I definitely had on my mind about river marinas. Is how, will low tides affect me?

Also the harbor master addressed me asking what my draft was!! So I told her (female harbor master), what my draft was. And she was very kind in answering back about that some more of their slips needed dredging!!

She said that the marina owner had plans to dredge more out this year. So hopefully that'll happen. And that way I could have a deeper slip to tie up too later this year. When I make that place my home port, later this year?

Old 08-04-2006, 10:57   #25

Boat: Ensenada 20
Paul, I was looking for where on the water Hayes, VA is and was surprised that Yahoo Maps show it in the mountains of western Virginia!!

Is there another Hayes, VA?????
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 13:47   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Well Hayes in not an incorporated town as none of the towns in Glouester County are incorporated. We have some of the smallest post offices in the country. Ordinary VA down the hwy post office is so small you can stand in the middle and open any PO BOX in the building without moving. If there are two people inside waiting in line the next person stands outside.

Hayes is closest to Gloucester Point, VA located across the York River from Yorktown, VA. on US hwy 17. We are up Sarah Creek, NW Branch 37-15.7 N 76-28.9 W by the chart should get you close enough. 7 nm downstream on the York River puts you in the the "fat" lower part of the Chesapeake Bay.
Old 16-04-2006, 12:31   #27

Boat: C&C 27
In Clear Lake, Texas Slips run about $5 per slipfoot for fixed and $7 per slipfoot for floating piers. Live aboard are added to that. Some marinas have special transient rates that range from a few $ per night to ,well, a lot more. If the plan is to keep a boat here for any length of time the amenities and management can easily make paying a dollar more per slip foot worth it.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 18:57   #28
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
East Central Florida

In East Central Florida (Melbourne area) $10.00 to $12.50 per foot per month. Some Marinas have a 6 month to as much as 5 year waiting list because of the marina shortage here. Live aboard adder ranges from $130.00 per month to $155.00 per month.

These are not yacht clubs, and some of the working marinas are currently listed for sale. Who can blame them?

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 19:27   #29
Kai Nui

Waiting lists in this area range from 30-90 days for a permanent slip here, and indefinite on the liveaboard, to 15-20 years for Santa Cruz for an assigned slip.
Old 16-04-2006, 19:51   #30

15-20 years!!!!

Hey Kai.

Makes ya kinda wanna build your own slip huh?

Tags
fees