Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 09:12   #1

Boat: Alcan 370
Puget Sound Marinas

Greetings - I was reading postings from back in 2010 regarding Puget Sound Marinas. I am moving my 37' Aluminum from Lake Powell back to the North West where she was born. I am experienced at inland but have no experience with Cruising Life, Salt Water & North West Maintenance Issues, etc. Marinas - I am liking Port Townsend because of the rain shadow effect that looks to equal lower rainfall? (My boat will be vacant 8-weeks at a time) I am looking for any comments, but I am hoping that Micro Ship is still living aboard in the Sound to offer his experiences since 2010?

Thanks in advance!
Nonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:42   #2

Re: Puget Sound Marinas

Really, there's not a bad spot in the entire region. There are a few dumpy marina, particularly in the south end. But hey they are cheap! And 'dumpy' is all relative anyhow.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 21:32   #3

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37

Depends on where you want to cruise (north, south, west), but the west side of the sound is far more affordable than the busy side.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nonja.

http://www.olympicrainshadow.com/oly...shadowmap.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:45   #5

Boat: 1969 MORGAN 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonja View Post
Greetings - I was reading postings from back in 2010 regarding Puget Sound Marinas. I am moving my 37' Aluminum from Lake Powell back to the North West where she was born. I am experienced at inland but have no experience with Cruising Life, Salt Water & North West Maintenance Issues, etc. Marinas - I am liking Port Townsend because of the rain shadow effect that looks to equal lower rainfall? (My boat will be vacant 8-weeks at a time) I am looking for any comments, but I am hoping that Micro Ship is still living aboard in the Sound to offer his experiences since 2010?

Thanks in advance!
Go to and join for free ACTIVE CAPTAIN. It a great source for marina info and lots more.

Don't forget to subscribe to their newsletter.

https://activecaptain.com/

Regards

Bill
smoothsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:33   #6

Thank you all for your great input! I am seeing that my question needs refining... My experience is limited to inland fresh water. Please comment on things like wintering, corrosion, mold, etc. Also, if I plan to LA for 2-weeks, then be absent 8-weeks should I store on the hard? Are there marinas that allow such a thing, etc. I heard that folks run heat lamps to keep the boat interior dry? (In the desert we store the boat with buckets of water inside to humidify) I am a real novice moving from the desert to the NW area... How about taxation issues on out of staters? THX
Old 07-08-2012, 20:48   #7

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
I don't think Port Townsend qualifies as being in the rain shadow. John Wayne Marina in Sequim does

YMMV

Brad
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 21:57   #8

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Lots of US flagged vessels on the Canadian side too so don't rule that out. I'm not sure what the tax advantages/disadvantages might be. Sometimes our lame Canuck-buck works in your favour - not so much so right now.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:46   #9

Great idea about the Canadian side! I am pretty interested in avoiding as much rain as possible, not sure if that realistic? Being a desert rat I'm not sure how much precip I can tolerate? The Sequim comment looks promising too... Thaks all for your comments!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:16   #10
J_m

Boat: 1987 Hughes H40 Ketch

This does really depend on where you want to cruise .. and convenience factor (proximity) to services and for your case - a major airport(??) for your commute. Seems most folks leave their boats in year round up where we are (Semiahmoo .. Blaine) .. and very few Live aboard in the winter. We use lot's of solar vents and a dehumidifier and the boat stays very dry (aside for the occasional leaks we keep chasing :-). You will get used to the rain.
J_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:31   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

If you want access to the islands and cheap storage on the hard, Colony Wharf in Bellingham for the storage at $6 per foot per month is your best bet. $240 per month for a 40' boat ain't too shabby. I have all four of my boats there as well as my shop. Blaine, just three hours lazy cruising North is a good little inexpensive marina.

Edit: The wind usually always blows in Bellingham, even during our notoriously windless Summer.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:29   #12

Travel - We normally drive... 1,000 miles take about 16-hours in our Sprinter MH. (I drive while she sleeps, then trade, etc.) Bellingham & Semiahmoo .. Blaine sound like good ideas. The comment about powered vents gives me some homework ideas. I'd appreciate any & all comments about mold/mildew control, especially while boat is vacant. Thank you all for your interest!

Tags
marinas, puget sound