Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-08-2006, 12:01   #61

Boat: Watkins 27
Oh yes I know all to well that we are terminal predators. We have the greatest knack of preying on each other. It's a dog eat dog world we live in. If I can step above that then I feel I am one step closer to becoming a true human as the One Above made us.

Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 17:09   #62
Bob Norson

I think your post on page one, Kai Nui, wrapped the thing up very well. I agree anyway. I can understand the guy going off the rails but agree with you he picked a poor option. In Bowen harbour the plague is a flock of f**king swallows. I remember spending all afternoon cleaning up the boat in anticipation of a cruise with another couple. We left to go have a dinner here at the factory and when returned to the boat about 2200 found her covered. She was no longer "WhiteBird" more like "ShitBird". Under moonlight me and the other guy washed her down again. Leaving the stuff on, it will dry like eopxy! I threatened after that to get a tennis racket with an extended handle for the next time they swooped!.... but I didn't. Then the little creatures got in the port I left open in the heads and in a few days built several nest's. A god awful mess... I threatened nuclear attack or at least bio logical retribution... but I didn't.

I took a bunch of those ecologicaly unfriendly plastic shopping bags and tied them all over the boat to flop and shake in the breeze and insured the boat was buttoned up tight and no covers left on that made a handy shelter for them. It took a couple hours to remove all the crap before sailing and to air out the heads! (Whew!) But it did bring the **** level down to managable... Then the sea eagle discovered what a wonderful perch my windex made!

I went sailing to get off the tense track of land life... I have made a lot of progress at learning how to be more tolerant and accepting of the nature I have chosen to live with... but some of the lessons are pretty shitty! (sorry.. a little)

Old 02-11-2006, 21:18   #63

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Bob you need to get that boat away from the marina and use it a bit more, but then you would'nt be able to provide that magnificent publication.

cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 17:32   #64

Breathing life into an old thread....
The original post on this threat in my opinion was quit disturbing.
As most I was raised knowing that what I had killed I was responsible to eat. I think it is a short walk from maiming animals to much higher devious.. Well just an opinion.
Now high jacking the thread a little bit, here are a few items to other people's arsenal for bird protection for their homes and or BOATS.
I live and work on two coasts, Florida and California. Two summers ago a flock of ducks arrived, and ever since then they comes every season with a few dozen more friends. Every year they clear out the fish ponds. No one in the neighborhood feeds the ducks. We brought in a professional company to deal with the birds without any luck. It was actually to the extreme that I had someone power spray my entire back decks and pool surface daily to keep up with the ducks. My Doberman dogs were useless, pretty much the ducks could take the kibble right out of their mouths.
My neighbor who was also fed up with the birds after his 70 year old wife supposedly slipped on crap and took her hip out. I do not think he was thinking and put out Warfarin a rat poison. I was not aware of it and my dogs got into it. This was not done intentionally, however it does show the utterly stupid things people do when they get desperate. The vet let me know that my dogs had been poisoned hence an automatic call to animal protection services. They immediately found the poison at my fence line. Since I knew the neighbor well and knew that there was no way that he or his wife would intentionally harm my dogs, I simply refused to pursue him or his wife for anything besides the vet bills. The local animal services did not see it that way and charged my 71 year old neighbor with animal cruelty. Long story short the dogs were fine and a few fines were paid.
I went onto the web to find some solutions for this probelm.
These are the tricks I tried:
The plastic owl on a pole that would turn with the wind.
Result: Ducks paid no attention to them, in fact several times other birds would be perched on top of the plastic owls.

Rubber SNAKES made from rubber, or latex to resemble the real deal.
Result: Scared the crap out of several people when they are wandering in the gardens, and I think several of the snakes became food for the ducks.

Alligator/Crocodile, both rubber and blow up
Result: No result and my yard was looking like a trailer park

Bought a little puppy dog with an attitude and a bark..
Result: Just more crap to clean up.

Fire Crackers/Noise makers.
Result: This house is in the LA area so they momentarily scared the birds off but brought in Helicopters and the police..
I was fed up, no longer felt comfortable using my pool. I wandered into a pool shop to purchase some "shock" for the pool. Inside I struck up a conversation with the owner about the ducks. He walked over to a shelf and picked up a half dozen $2.00 blow up swans. These blow up kids toys barely look like swans.
Result. I put two of them in the pool, two in my yard and one on the boat. I see ducks in my neighbors yards but never in mine. Amazing $2.00 fix.

Before you jump up and buy some swans be aware that I took a few swans to my Florida home. Within hours of putting the swans on the boat, and in the fish ponds I had a flock of Canadian Geese drop down on the boat covering it in crap. The swan acted as a decoy. Each coast has different problems. You will never guess what we are having "FRESH" for Christmas dinner...

cchris0411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: