Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2006, 17:47   #16

Hopefully the punk will spend some quality time in jail with "Bubba the cellmate?"

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:05   #17

Boat: Islander 28 Irish Eyes
Police may not be that aware of animal control laws. I would have called the ASPCA or local animal control people. Here in New York there are stiff penalties for animal harrassment and the ASPCA people or the local animal control people think it is a serious crime compared to the police.
Irish Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:17   #18

In some major cities of the US. They have the animal police.

They have certain powers of the law. They mostly have the courts ears?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 22:53   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Surely for all of us that choose a life on the water, we enjoy it most, because of the wildlife. I envy you teamivey, Beaver? Otters? Racoons? Bald Eagles? ? wow.
Yeah I know the little presents birds leave over your deck are annoying, but a quick was down with the water hose quickly solves that issue.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 13:32   #20

Boat: 48' Hi Star
I too am apalled at the wacko shooting the geese. I know some of you have complained about "nuisance" animals. Well, look at it this way -- we are taking away their habitat. They were there first, after all. As far as I'm concerned, one of the pleasures of living aboard a boat is being close to nature. I tell my friends who live in the country and complain about the "wildlife" to go move back to the city. Although, of course, there is "wildlife" there too.
Cheers
Iris
sailorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 18:01   #21
Kai Nui

Iris, I do not disagree with you. However, humans, like any invasive species, depends on the control of other species for survival. I too enjoy the local wildlife. We even throw bread to the seagulls (flying rats), but when wildlife becomes destructive, encouraging it to relocate is perfectly acceptable in my book. The damage and destruction done here every year by sealions does great financial harm to local marinas and boat owners, not to mention that sealions have attacked people on the dock in recent years causing injury. I am in no way in favor of injuring or torturing animals, but there are circumstances where I feel it is necessary to drive them away from certain locations. If anything, the sealions benefit from it They do not naturally make their homes on docks and boats, and stealing fish off the hook does not benefit their hunting skills. Have you ever been trapped on your boat by a sealion that refuses to leave the dock finger? Or have you ever had one destroy a dinghy? I admit that geese are less destructive, but they are agressive. Over population of any species is not good for anyone. If the goose problem up there is that bad, it might be within reason to address it by relocating some of the geese. Again, I am not supporting this whacko's actions, but the problem is real, and should be dealt with.
Old 05-04-2006, 22:06   #22
Kai Nui

Well, here's another one. Opening day of sport salmon season, while being video taped by a local environmental group, already determined to put a kink in the fishing season, some idiot in a sport boat ran over a raft of sea otters. There were about a dozen otters floating in mid channel (a common hangout for the otters here). The boater was cited, but they are undecided on the fine if any. I hate to say anything negative about my neighbors, but the owner of a local commercial boat, the "Charlie Noble" (some of you will remember the name from previous posts), was interviewed by the local news. His take on the situation was you do not throw people in jail for running over squirels in the road, and otters are inteligent animals. They know to get out of the way. I have the highest regard for the commercial fishermen here, but am I missing something? Sure sounds calous to me.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:16   #23

Boat: 1972 37' irwin center cockpit
goose problem? otters being ran over!?

Look the fact of the matter is, the guy who shot at the geese with his paintball gun did so because he was an Ahole period. Same as running over a raft of otters. This really is the only plausible reason for such behavior.
As far as a goose problem, I don't even know what that would entail. I don't think I know of anyone else down here that consider the geese to be any problem at all. Most of us do feed the birds around here. I do see the difference in the sea lion problem, but even there, me being of the long haired hippie clan would probably enjoy their company also.

Just got a picture from brother who is cruising the Bahamas, of them swimming with some pigs that happened to wander down the beach. Of course I know some of you will only have looked at that as bacon potential. Haha.
teamivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 16:29   #24
Kai Nui

I just can not understand that mentality. Why do it? There is no beneficial result. Even a thief (lowest life form) shows a benefit for their actions. I guess you have to be one to understand it. I sure don't.
Old 10-04-2006, 23:09   #25
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Birds - Arrrrrrrrggggggg.. A disadvantage of having a split rig is that the triatic is as close to parrallel to the water as you can find on a boat. I don't have problems with the night herons, the blue herons, the egrets, sea eagles, hawks, or either land or water variety of flying rats (I have a little trick for them and they look elsewhere for their perches).

But, I have a blackbird problem. They just love that triatic. And, I think I've finally figured out why they have to stop on my boat to crap before they find their night time spot in the palm trees. They don't wanna crap all over each other or smell up their perches for the night.

So they find MY boat and leave a daily surprise and informational collage of what food is currently ripe in the local fields. I have tried all sorts of things to try and keep them off, but after a few abortive landings, they "figure it out" and line up 50 across and deluge my boat.

Standard crap is not too much of a problem, but the blueberries and raspberries (strawberries too) tend to stain whatever they land on. I wanna a machine gun!!!

My boat is, apparently, the magnet for my dock - all my dock mates are very happy my boat is here - keeps them off their boat. I've tried the fake owl, the flashing reflective material strips, ex-aol CDs, etc. I STILL want a machine gun; but I will listen to alternatives?
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 00:18   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
You tie nylon fishing line tightly above the triadic. You need to make a means of keeping the line about 2-3" above the triadic cable. Pull it tight.
Birds can't land on it. They can't see it, they try to land and this line is in the way and they can't get a footing on it. It works, it's simple.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 15:59   #27
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Alan - I was considering something along those lines, but it didn't jell until your post. The important thing about that method is that I don't have to take it down everytime I go out.

Thanks muchooooo!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 17:37   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Just because of where you live does not make you immune to the problems of rest of the world. It happens in all places. Places on the water are not unlike the many small towns all over the world. It's not always the big city that makes these types of incidents.

Sometimes it's the birds and sometimes it's the neighbors. And then sometimes the two come together to prove who you are.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 17:23   #29

Boat: 1972 37' irwin center cockpit
court date

Just to update everyone, the paint gun maniac trial is may 2nd and I will be a witness for the DA. Really I take some pleasure in nailing this guy. I know he claimed to the police that he wasn't shooting at the geese but rather just scaring them. What he doesn't know is that I have photos of a goose with paint on his head and a crushed in skull and eye. I will be sure to bring those into court also. The charge is discharging a firearm in the city.

Sean
teamivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 17:31   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Sean,

This is much better than TV. Real life isn't normally this good. I guess he scared the goose too much. You have to know we here at CruisersFroum are pulling for you and justice for that goose.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote