Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 08:37   #1

Moorings on GA coast

So I've caught the bug! Looking at the logistics of becoming a live aboarder. I need to remain in Georgia for a few more years for pension reasons. I have researched some marinas on the Georgia coast that offer live aboard options. However, I cannot find any information on mooring cheaply or free while I make the transition and possibly renovate a boat. I've browsed the internet ads for marinas and tried looking on activecaptain.com. Would any of you know of any GA coast moorings or be able to direct me where to find such information?
jstwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:43   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Moorings on GA coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstwell View Post
So I've caught the bug! Looking at the logistics of becoming a live aboarder. I need to remain in Georgia for a few more years for pension reasons. I have researched some marinas on the Georgia coast that offer live aboard options. However, I cannot find any information on mooring cheaply or free while I make the transition and possibly renovate a boat. I've browsed the internet ads for marinas and tried looking on activecaptain.com. Would any of you know of any GA coast moorings or be able to direct me where to find such information?
I believe GA has some restrictions on "living aboard" a boat. I remember seeing a sign posted at a marina a couple years ago when we passed through. Perhaps someone knows more or can post a link.

I think you would find it far easier to renovate a boat at a slip in a marina than anchored or on a mooring with no electricity and having to move tools and supplies by dinghy.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:59   #3

Ga. has relaxed it's stance on live aboards. One can obtain a waiver to do so provided the marina has pump out station on the premises. They tell me the wavier is pretty much automatic as long as you claim to have a qualifying ship and the marina meets grade.

Also considering the possibility of remod on the hard. I'm still in middle GA and just have a small boat right now. Just trying to work it all out in my head first.
Old 08-03-2015, 19:48   #4

OK so I went back onto activecaptain.com and realized I must have had a tab closed or something. I'm finding all kinds of anchorages on there now. Does anyone out there know if or where I can find out about adding a mooring to spots like that? The couple that bought my old boat were planning on mooring it somewhere around Hilton Head. They have already had the screw installed.
Old 08-03-2015, 20:23   #5

Boat: csy 37

St. Marys, just above the Florida border, is very cruiser friendly, has a town dock for dinghys, and a well protected anchorage. Rather than the expense of a mooring, get good anchoring gear. You can take it with you when you leave...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:32   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstwell View Post
OK so I went back onto activecaptain.com and realized I must have had a tab closed or something. I'm finding all kinds of anchorages on there now. Does anyone out there know if or where I can find out about adding a mooring to spots like that? The couple that bought my old boat were planning on mooring it somewhere around Hilton Head. They have already had the screw installed.
You might start by contacting the GA Department of Natural Resources. If they can't tell you, they can probably point you in the right direction.

Tags
mooring