Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 13:18   #1

Moorings and Dock Slips around LI Sound

Hi Everyone,

I am hopefully getting my first sailboat (31ft) in a couple of weeks and looking for a marina/yacht club in the City Island, Port Washington, Mamaroneck area. Can anyone give any suggestion on a marina or a yacht club in this region. I am looking to stay 1-2 nights on the boat during weekends so safety is important. Also, I want to be in an area where you can easily access calm and clear water for swimming. I live on the UES so I don't want to get stuck in the traffic driving back/forth so that's why I am not looking any place past Pt. Washington on the LI Sound and Mamaroneck up north. I feel like I am asking for too much so apologies for the long post.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated especially if you have recent $/foot information as well.

Cheers
ScorpioNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 10:04   #2

Re: Moorings and Dock Slips around LI Sound

City Island. Take a couple weekend days and walk around, talk to shop owners. You'll likely find something especially in a month or so as season starts wrapping up.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 10:39   #3

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Re: Moorings and Dock Slips around LI Sound

Just saw this, chances are you are settled with your new boat and are all set by now.
However if you are still looking, consider a mooring at Steppingstone Marina in Great Neck.
Located on the sound in a approx. 15 acre park, inexpensive moorings as is run by Great Neck Park District which will moor out of village boats for a modest upcharge (still inexpensive) waterfront is run by young, helpful, eager to please crew, and launch service
is included with extensive launch hours, 6 am to 11 pm most days in summer.
Anchorage can be bumpy at times, Manhasset bay is approx 1 mile to east, City Island
directly north, Port Wash LIRR line stops at great Neck and express trains takes 22 minutes to city, drive from UES is easy ride depending on time/traffic.
If interest, happy to show you around. Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, mooring