Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 14:41   #1

Boat: 1988 Heritage East Sundeck 36'
Melbourne, FL Area Dockage

Seeking longterm liveaboard dockage for a 37' sailboat with 5' draft beginning approximately June of 2012 in the Melbourne / Palm Bay, Fl. area. Would appreciate any info regarding recommendations on marinas or leads on private owner facilities available.
moonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 15:42   #2

Re: Melbourne Florida Area Dockage

First there are a couple of considerations to be made. Do you have ground transportation, do you want to be on the mainland side or the beach side of the river, and are you planning on staying thru next storm season? Waterline marina has few openings but nice facilities and a good manager. They are on the mainland side in a very nice cove that has a top notch park. It is called Ballard Park and has tennis courts, boat ramps, and covered picnic areas. The city of Melbourne municipal marina is on the mainland side with several open slips. They are just a couple of blocks from downtown, easy walking. There are a lot of downtown activities from art shows to Friday fest which is a monthly downtown block party. They were hit hard from the storms in 2004 which broke several docks which have since been repaired. Tele-Mar marina is on the beach side of the river with close to 50% open slips. Very well protected from storms with good docks. There is Oars and Paddle park next to the marina. Not much within walking distance with the ocean about 1 mile east. The office personel are very nice as a sharp contrast to the owner. There are more marinas around the area from Cocoa, which is a short drive, to Ft. Pierce, which is a longer drive, these are the only places that a sailboat can get out to the ocean from Melbourne.
PEACETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 16:28   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Melbourne Florida Area Dockage

I agree with what Peacetime said about the Melbourne area Marina's. I stayed at the Waterline marina for about 3 months 5 years ago. My concern about the waterline would be your boat's draft. 5 feet is getting a bit marginal. My boat draws 4 feet and I was showing less than a foot under the keel a couple of times. If you go in there be very careful. I'm told that the bottom in there is soft mud and you could definitely see a lot of mud being kicked up by the Manatees, so touching bottom is probably not going to do major damage to your boat.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 16:34   #4

Telemar Bay Marina
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 17:28   #5

Re: Melbourne, FL Area Dockage

Plan to have transportation as soon as can acquire something. Yes, expect to be there next storm season. Have been out of USA cruising for 10 years & getting homesick. That might not last long though from what I hear about things. Have a buddy in Palm Bay area & hope to engage in some home remodeling with him. Might try selling boat, who knows. Looking for a somewhat protected marina without silly rules that make just getting along hard. Rather independent after being a liveaboard cruiser in Caribbean. Cost is of course a consideration but want laundry, showers, power, etc for convenient living. Looking at map it appears a marina from south Cocoa to Sabastion would work. Not concerned about quick ocean access as when going it will be for major trip, not day sails.
Old 19-09-2011, 18:45   #6

Boat: Bristol 29

You might also look a wee bit further north to Port Canaveral or one of the marinas on the Haulover Canal. I agree that your draft makes a lot of marinas on the river questionable as most of them are badly silted up. Harbortown Marina and Harbor Square Marina are both hurricane holes on the canal and both have deep water.
Old 20-09-2011, 07:26   #7

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

how about the grant or sebastian area??? there are some marinas there and the grant ones look hassle-free...
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 14:02   #8

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

I have a sailboat at Harbor Square on the canal. It is a small marina with fairly deep moorage. My boat draws 5 1/2' and where I am moored it will occassional stick in the mud. I am a steelie so I don't worry about it TOO much. There is wifi, laundry, and parking. This is a small marina with nice liveaboards. Another plus is the USCG puts their smaller boats there when BIG storms approach the area. Moorage is about $9.00 a foot. I am sure there are nicer marinas in the area but I like the small homey atmosphere of Square Harbor. Hope to see there.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 14:18   #9

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Most of the names you have mentioned did not come up in my search on-line for marinas in the Melbourne area. Just heard from my buddy there & he lives in Grant, about 5 miles from Sebastion, so guess nearest to that is where I'd hope for.
Old 21-09-2011, 06:05   #10

If you want to be close to Grant area then I would look to Viero Beach area. To my knowledge there are no protected marinas ( from strong SE storm winds ) in the Grant area. Viero beach does have a city marina which fills rapidly during the storm season. It is located on the east side of the river which helps with fetch problems from a river that is, at places, over 1 mile wide. Good luck
PEACETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 18:26   #11

The website: ActiveCaptain is a valuable resource to use for up to date info on marinas in most locations. Its free, and very useful.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida