Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2019, 10:32   #16

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60
Re: Marinas In / Near New York City?

Port Washington is the way to go, very protected (2 hurricanes aboard), relatively clean water, all services and 40 min from the city via the LIRR. There are a number of marinas there with slips and moorings
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 10:34   #17

I would avoid any of the marinas on the river, very dirty with debry and a lot of motion, also besides 79th street very expensive....btw 79th street only moorings for transients, long waiting list for slips
Old 15-02-2019, 14:30   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Michele-
If you had a very generous budget you could look into South Cove, right in Battery Park, but that's more for folks who let other folks carry their checkbooks.(G)
It's confusing, but it's North Cove, not South Cove. I imagine the moniker is its relation to Battery Park, not Manhattan. From where it is definitely southward.

It's lovely, expensive, I would try to spend as much time as possible there. Consider your transportation costs in money and time should you moor farther afield. And besides, it's fabulous darling.
https://bpcparks.org/whats-here/parks/north-cove/

Oh yes, it's cold there this time of year. Check out the adjacent Winter Garden. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Garden_Atrium
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 14:41   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

iyam-
Actually, north/south ain't confusing, but I've been throughly flu'd out this week, and if that was the only mistake I made in the last couple three days...I'll be glad.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 15:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
iyam-
Actually, north/south ain't confusing, but I've been throughly flu'd out this week, and if that was the only mistake I made in the last couple three days...I'll be glad.(G)
NO NO NO I did not mean it that way! I simply know it as a point of confusion having sailed out of there for a few years. Sorry to hear that you're under the weather, get well soon! Besides, you rock!
Old 15-02-2019, 22:13   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

iyam-
You're too kind. And apparently either rich, or you sailed with MYC?
I try not to rock, it makes me seasick.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 09:15   #22

MYC? Any resemblance to real MYC members, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Old 16-02-2019, 11:14   #23
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

lots of good info here!
I can attest to the marinas in Atlantic Highlands, NJ. good protection, lots of bars, cafes, stores nearby, and a fast ferry has quite a few trips daily from next to the marinas to and from the Battery Park/ Wall Street tip of Manhattan. price is not bad, and it's a good trip on a boat so almost like having a slip on Manhattan for a NJ price.

I like City Island (Bronx), but it is a true hell-drive to get anywhere by car or train from City Island. If you intend to visit Manhattan you're better off staying in CT or NJ!

Also add that the IGY guys at North Cove marina are very pleasant and very competent. It's an expensive place but very prime location and better protection than other places on the Hudson.

In a nutshell: if you want nice or clean anything in NYC you are going to pay a lot.
Old 19-08-2019, 10:45   #24

Dear Boating Community: A friendly update here to mention that New York City is now home to a brand-new recreational marina: ONE°15 Brooklyn, the city’s first quay in decades. Set on a vibrant esplanade on 8 acres between Piers 4 and 5 in Brooklyn Bridge Park, ONE°15 Brooklyn Marina offers 105 slips for vessels between 16-200+ feet in length. Its sleek, innovative design and wave attenuation system give it some of the calmest waters in the New York Harbor. The attenuator consists of a series of steel barges designed specifically to deflect waves and serve as a floating dock. Its active Sail Club and Sail School has also found its way into nearby/surrounding communities. It’s Community Dock also offers free and low-cost boating options for students and interested boaters who have had limited access to waterfront activities. The marina also donates 2% of its annual services revenue to support the community dock. The marina has also just launched two waterfront dining options from renowned chef Francois Payard – one, a brasserie and bar with locally sourced entrée options; the other a grab-and-go adjacent to the restaurant offering sweets, snacks and traditional on-the-go fare. Head to www.one15brooklynmarina.com for more info.
ONE15Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 11:00   #25

Boat: Somebody else's boat......

I can see visiting NYC for....a day, maybe 2, sure. I can NOT see intentionally trying to stay in NYC for a season. That just doesn't make sense, my friend. There's a lot of places outside the city that will be cheaper, less crowded, and allow for public transpo access. Check out Maryland, Jersey, and every area up and down the coast from NYC, and you'll find a better and less costly spot to camp out.
Dan Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 05:28   #26

Marinas in NYC are very expensive and anything on the Hudson River is dirty and too current strong. I recommend marinas in Manhasset Bay ( 40 minutes from Manhattan by train), relatively fair of price and plenty of places to shop supplies and places to eat, also the water is fairly clean (swimmable).
If your boat is not over 45' you can also try City Island or New Rochelle.
I'm in Safe Harbor/ Capri Marina in Manhasset Bay, very clean, affordable (moorings inexpensive), free pump out and water taxi.
Ciao
Old 23-08-2019, 07:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
There are negatives to the marina just below the Brooklyn Bridge (One 15?), but what a view! I'm most definitely a country boy, but I can still appreciate the eye candy appeal of having your yacht there for a long summer. If you expect to have visitors to the yacht imagine their awe at looking across the East River at the south end of Manhatten. Cheap for that most memorable experience.

Hi, Boatman1. Thank you so much for taking some time to describe your experience at ONE°15 Brooklyn Marina. We’re thrilled that your stay was as good as we had hoped! We’d also like to remind visitors that we are now open at full capacity, with various new amenities – including two waterfront dining options – and an active Sail Club and Sail School. Be sure to spread the word that New Yorkers are finding their way to Piers 4 & 5 near the Brooklyn Bridge!
ONE15Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, new york