Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2015, 05:09   #1

Marina in the Ottawa area

I am interested in finding a suitable marina or Yacht Club on the St Lawrence within a 90 minute drive of Ottawa for a 35' sailboat 5'6" draft. I am not looking for live aboard, just seasonal moorage. I am only interested in the Canadian side of the river.

I've been doing my research, expecting to find lots of options, being the Thousand Islands and all but I have been disappointed in the results, so I'm hoping someone on here can recommend the gem that I have over looked.

Here are the options I have found so far.

Prescott: Sandra S Lawn Harbour; this seems like my best choice, deep draft, big wide river for sailing on, under 1 hour drive to Ottawa.

Morrisburg; Crysler Park Marina; also an interesting option, deep draft, lots of slips, and interesting locale- within walking distance of Upper Canada Village, about a 1 hour drive from Ottawa. Major disadvantage- its on a 25 mile section between two Seaway locks.

Cornwall; Marina 200, decent marina, not too bad of a drive, access to Lake St Francis. Major disadvantage- it's a nightmare to reach the cruising grounds of Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario from Cornwall.

Brockville Municipal Marina; doesn't really look suitable for a 35 foot sailboat.

Kingston; too far.

Have I overlooked anything? Any good recommendations?
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 06:10   #2

Boat: Ontario32
Re: Marina in the Ottawa area

I can not recommend a gem of a marina for you but, try and contact the Canadian power and sail Squadron for the Ottawa area. They have a web site and the members may be able to help you.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 06:15   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I am interested in finding a suitable marina or Yacht Club on the St Lawrence within a 90 minute drive of Ottawa for a 35' sailboat 5'6" draft. I am not looking for live aboard, just seasonal moorage. I am only interested in the Canadian side of the river.
This is outside your target zone, but I'm currently at Belleville's Stillwater Marina. Based on my research of the area, this marina is about 1/2 the price for storage. I'm going to find out about dock rentals this season, but I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper than most marinas. It's a complete DIY space, and pretty easy going. Anyway, it's more like 2 hrs away from Ottawa.

When looking I also considered:
There are a few in Kingston (as I guess you know).
Old 28-03-2015, 06:24   #4

Iroquois has a marina. It's located west of the lock in the downtown area.

It was pretty rundown last time I was there 5 years ago but it's just west of the locks.

Here's the link:

IMS - Home

I don't know your plans but if you're thinking of renting a car to visit Ottawa, you may be better off in Cornwall or Prescott. Bigger towns with more amenities.

Just my two cents,
Connie
ConnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 06:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is outside your target zone, but I'm currently at Belleville's Stillwater Marina. Based on my research of the area, this marina is about 1/2 the price for storage. I'm going to find out about dock rentals this season, but I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper than most marinas. It's a complete DIY space, and pretty easy going. Anyway, it's more like 2 hrs away from Ottawa.

When looking I also considered:
There are a few in Kingston (as I guess you know).
Excellent info. I found the Pecks website. The location couldn't be better. I notice they avoid mentioning water depth. On another website I found a mention of 6'. I wonder if that's 6' in may or 6' September. Or if it's 6' at the fuel dock or 6' at the end of the runway where you'd find a large sailboat.

Have you been into this marina?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-03-2015, 07:30   #6

Quote:
Excellent info. I found the Pecks website. The location couldn't be better. I notice they avoid mentioning water depth. On another website I found a mention of 6'. I wonder if that's 6' in may or 6' September. Or if it's 6' at the fuel dock or 6' at the end of the runway where you'd find a large sailboat.

Have you been into this marina?
I've never sailed into any of them FV, but I did go look at this yard. I also draw 6' so I was looking at yards that I thought would accommodate us. My notes don't include this detail for Peck's, so you should check with them, but since they were on my short list I believe they would be OK for you.

Check with them though. I found the staff very responsive.
Old 28-03-2015, 08:24   #7

Boat: Niagara 42

I had my boat (a Niagara 42 launched at Pecks last summer. At that time (probably high water for the season) there was plenty of room (i draw 5' 8"). The owner Greg is a super nice guy and he assured me that he always has plenty of room leading up to his launch well and fuel dock (note he does not sell diesel) at all times of the year.

I sail out of the Trident Yacht club near Ganonque on the Bateaux Channel. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Drobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 11:05   #8

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Waupoos for a total relaxing experience, a bit further but great places to sail to, swim off the dock, great food and wines in walking distance, sheltered, friendly.
A bit further but worth the drive.
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 11:34   #9

Drobert,

Trident looks very nice. Are they accepting new members?

Bill, I think Waupoos would be a little far for me to drive, but the Bay of Quinte/Prince Edward County is definitely a place I intend to spend some time visiting.

Old 28-03-2015, 12:32   #10

If I were looking for in this area I would probably choose Kingston over any place along the St. Laurence. The 1000 Islands are a very nice cruising area but with the currents and channels more suited to power boats. Kingston offers a variety of sailing from big lake sailing on Lake Ontario to well protected sailing on the way to and in the Bay of Quinty to nice day sailing in the bay between Kingston and Wolfe Island.

I think for the most part cruising in a sailboat in the 1000 Islands will be done with the iron genny rather than the Dacron one but nevertheless well worth some time there.

Colins Bay Marina might be worth checking out.

I know you said Kingston is too far but I think the real sailing grounds in the area are to be found from Kingston west and you'll find it a lot easier to get to them at 60 knots in your car than 6 knots on your boat.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 12:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
If I were looking for in this area I would probably choose Kingston over any place along the St. Laurence. The 1000 Islands are a very nice cruising area but with the currents and channels more suited to power boats.
Don't mean to hijack, but there are currents in the Thousand Islands . I am planning to sail around there this year. Didn't know there were currents to deal with. How big are they EBS? What causes them?
Old 28-03-2015, 13:32   #12

Boat: Albin 25

Quote:
I am interested in finding a suitable marina or Yacht Club on the St Lawrence within a 90 minute drive of Ottawa for a 35' sailboat 5'6" draft.
I cruise in the 1000 Islands from my marina close to Gananoque. I enjoy starting my day right in the heart of the cruising grounds with good access to all the park islands. Thing is, my Albin 25 has a draft of only 3.5 feet while many of the sailboats seem to have to cruise with sheets down in among the islands, although there are plenty of wide open spaces as well.

I recommend you try searching using the Active Captain website, as the marinas are all there as well as reviews and info on each one.

https://activecaptain.com/X.php

Clark's Marina where I am has berths available but check the draft. I do see sailboats there. Gan Munic Marina is terrific but there is a long wait list.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 14:01   #13

Quote:
Don't mean to hijack, but there are currents in the Thousand Islands . I am planning to sail around there this year. Didn't know there were currents to deal with. How big are they EBS? What causes them?
Mike,

The Thousand Islands is actually the upper portion of the St Lawrence River, the flow is over 7 kilotonnes per second. All the water that flows down the St Marie's, all the water that flows under the blue water bridge and all the water that flows over Niagara Falls also flows through the Thousand Islands.

The current really isn't very strong in the upper islands, but as the river narrows and there become fewer islands to disturb the flow the current increases.
The current below Kingston is only about half a knot, but by the time your at the down stream end of the islands, its 2 or 3 knots.

Any place where there is an acute narrowing of the river, anticipate stronger currents. Generally the current is stronger in the main channel on the US side then on the Canadian side where the islands dirty the flow. You can expect stronger currents in the American Narrows, as well as to the North of Hill Island. Expect an more current (over a knot) around Mallory Town. Over 2 knots in the Brockville narrows.

If you get down past the first lock at Iroquois, the current gets down right nasty, but chills out before you reach Morisburg. You'll be easily able to spot the eddies below the down stream portions of the islands.

Ebs

Thank you for the heads up, I know the Sailing around Kingston is much better than the Sailing in the Thousand Islands. But in my experience, the boat you get the most enjoyment out of is the boat you use, that's why I'm looking for something an easy drive from Ottawa.

My moorings have been on the open water of Lake Ontario for several years, so I'm okay with the more confined waters of the river for a few years. I have my trusty Perkins, the boat motors well.

Old 28-03-2015, 14:06   #14

Quote:
Depends exactly where you are how strong the currents will be but the Thousand Islands are in the St. Laurence River flowing out of Lake Ontario. Areas around Ivy Lea Bridge never freeze in the winter for example. There is a control dam at Iroquois, On. and flow is regulated there but never completely shut down.

In my opinion a lot of the 1000 Islands area is better done by motoring.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 14:12   #15

Boat: Tartan 37C

I'm not sure how far it is from Ottawa but I really like Gananoque. It's a great little town with a really nice (deep) marina. I have a friend that has a boat there and go sailing with him from time to time. They have a great patch on the St. Lawrence they call the 40 acres that is good to sail and close. Kingston is also a very nice day sail away. In general very nice area with lots of summer stuff to do.

Cheers
Kevin
sailingjazz is offline   Reply With Quote