Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 10:46   #1

Marina Improvements

Greetings,
I along with many others have watched post Ike repairs and improvements taking place in the Clear lake marinas and thanks to money provided through insurance or FIMA these facilities are rapidly becoming some of the best marinas in the country. Fixed docks are being replaced with floating systems and in the case of Watergate Yachting center the landscaping and clubhouse facilities are attractive and a pleasure to use. That being said the question that comes to mind is why was there no money spent on pump out improvement? For what it's worth the number of stations and the capacity and ease of use for something that is increasingly becoming a subject that surrounding communities continually bring to the table concerning liveaboard owners has not only been ignored but the area as a whole has less pump out stations now than before the hurricane. This is an example of how little the owners of these marinas care about the subject and in the long run the boat owners will bear the blame for an ongoing problem. There is still no shared desire from the marinas and the cities that they are in to provide infrastructure to simplify waste management. I have always believed that if pump out stations were made available, primary entry and exit channel with multiple boat capacity, people would do the right thing and this unaddressed issue would for the most part disappear. I am sorry for the rant but the money is obviously available and nothing has changed.
stuffinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 10:58   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Are you a liveaboard at Watergate? They don't want liveaboards, the way I see it....their rules have changed since we moved our boat there 2 years ago. When our home is sold, looks like we will have to move the boat since we don't meet the new 41' (minimum) requirement.

Besides pumpout unavailability, they never replaced the dinghy dock/sorage on our side of the facility.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 16:52   #3

Boat: Moody 42
?I thought Watergate did have pump out facility?
Watergate is IMO a sorry outfit. They are charging high prices and only want to cater to larger boats. Spent two years there and lucky that I was not there for The hurricane. Waterford is much nicer as is Boardwalk.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote