Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2010, 05:58   #1
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Marina Costs in Morocco, and Best Place to Leave Yacht WhileTraveling Inland

Wondering about Morocco, Im thinking about sailing out of the Med and want to check out this country for a few months this fall, Anyone have links to the marinas there ? Rates? What not to miss? ,Advice?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 06:21   #2

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
I can only comment on the Med coast, so if you are turning left to go to the Canaries, you would need further research on the Atlantic coast (though I have the charts!)

We went from Tanger to Mellila in 2007. There is a small marina east of Mellila which hadn't been open long when we were there and there were rumours of silting, but the King keeps a yacht there so it can't be all bad.

Mellila, actually Spanish, is very cheap and a good place to refuel. You can visit Morocco from there and your boat will be safe. But it's a long way from the more inteersting bits of the country unless your key ambition is the desert.

Next west is Al Hoceima. I know of cruisers who have been satisfied with it but we found it very challenging. You dock alongside the ferry dock so getting ashore is hard, it's the only place in the country where officials were rude, and it's a long steep climb into town.

Then there's El Jabha which is a cute fishing village - moor alongside the fisheries patrol boat. Security dependent on the military patrols of the port so not bad, but I wouldn't leave my boat there for long unattended.

Smir is a very westernised, very secure marina, with a holiday resort around it. Some people love it: we found it artificial and it charges European prices. (Both Al Hoceima and El Jebha did not charge us anything.) You could certainly leave your boat in perfect safety at Smir and easily reach Chauchofen (sp).

Ceuta is also Spanish (just opposite Gib.) Sweet town and you can easily cross into Morocco. I think but can't be certain that it's on the national train network.

Tanger we liked and found the boat security good. We left RG there for a trip inland, visiting Fez (absolutely fascinating) by train. If we had been better organised in advance we would have also done a desert trip. It's not that much cheaper than european prices, but considerably less than Gibraltar. All these stops except Tanger are on our blog (in signature) right at the beginning, as we started keeping it in Gib.

You cannot anchor anywhere in Morocco without prior permission and the coast is very closely surveilled by the military.

We had a great time and enjoyed Morocco, despite initial nervousness as two women traveling. Only one (non-official) tried either to bribe us or ask us to carry anything untoward. Fez and Tanger were great to visit and the scenery around El Jebha is fantastic. Tanger also has a fabulous souk to stock up in, particularly on savon noir (black, olive soap) and all kinds of dried fruit and nuts.

HTH and enjoy the trip.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 03:06   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Roaring Girl nice post and Blog! i am really more intrested in the Atlantic coast side.
Old 19-03-2012, 09:32   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Marina Costs in Morocco, and Best Place to Leave Yacht WhileTraveling Inland

Anyone want to add anymore on good place on the Atlantic side where i can sight see ?
Old 19-03-2012, 09:58   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Marina Costs in Morocco, and Best Place to Leave Yacht WhileTraveling Inland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Anyone want to add anymore on good place on the Atlantic side where i can sight see ?
You might want to check out the comments on this blog on their Morocco adventures.
Old 09-06-2012, 16:26   #6

Boat: Morgan 462
We left our boat in Rabat. Safe from weather and good security. Catch the train anywhere it goes in Morocco from near the marina. Check into country easy at marina.
terra57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Morocco