Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 22:09   #1

Lund Government docks

Lund is one of the gateways to Desolation Sound, one of the most popular cruising destinations on the west coast. It's the end of highway 101, or the beginning - you can motor to southern Chile on paved roadtop from here. But if you came by boat, you're likely going to contact the wharfinger Rosemarie and beg for a slip space for the night.

But there is another solution.

Instead of coming into the main docks and getting rafted three deep even on the outer floating breakwaters, you could just as well turn north into Finn Bay where there's a small float with a couple of boats undergoing a refit and a shiny motorboat or two, and usually a couple open spots. On weekends it might involve rafting on to someone else, but unlike the main docks it's pretty quiet out here.

The cost is the same as the main dock (or the floating breakwater), and you'll need to dinghy over to town in order to visit Nancy's Bakery or have dinner at the Boardwalk Restaurant or the Lund Hotel, or to use the showers, but it's sure worth it compared with the noise, dogs, crawling across your foredeck/cockpit, commercial craft at o'dark thirty, can-you-shift-your-springline-so-we-can-get-out/in? You check yourself in; there's a fee box in the little shed. Don't drink the water, but it's fine for washing the salt off your deck.

We also saw a boat tie up at Dick's Boat Repair dock for a night (also in Finn Bay.) Don't know if they had some other relationship there, or if they were paying for the slip.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:13   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I've printed this out and added into my Dream Speaker series, thanks.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:14   #3

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
....you're likely going to contact the wharfinger Rosemarie and beg for a slip space for the night.
Just so no one thinks that you really have to beg for a slip in Lund. I talked with Rosemarie this summer, she has been with the harbor for a long time (15 years or something) and she told me she has never turned a boat away or been unable to fit someone in as long as they listened to her directions the entire time she has been harbor master. Thanks for pointing out the alternative. Lund is very friendly place.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 16:27   #4

::chuckle::

I've never heard of anyone being turned away either, but I've listened in on the radio as boaters are looking at stacks 3 deep on every dock... they sound like they're pleading to me.

Rosemarie is great! and this summer she had an understudy, too, so hopefully the tradition will continue. Last summer my partner took a spill on the steps, doing considerable damage to herself including a fractured elbow cuff, and Rosemarie provided the first aid.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote