Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 21:08   #1

Boat: 1970 Morgan 40
Send a message via AIM to cmesiam
Looking 4 a Marina in Norfolk

I'm looking for a inexpensive marina (live aboard) in the Norfolk area. Maybe even a Apartment or townhouse with a slip in the Greater Norfolk/Hampton Area. Does anyone out there know of any good Marinas in that area? Looks like I might be moving up there in the next few months.

Thanks
cmesiam
cmesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 15:42   #2

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
cemesian

Don't know of any apartments/condos with slips. If you want Hampton, you could try Salt Ponds Marina at about $250 a month or Southall Marina (I liveaboard there) for about $200 a month. Nobody on the Hampton side allows liveaboards but there are a lot of "extended cruisers" living there. In Norfolk, you can try Willoughby Spit or Littlecreek Marina area. Littlecreek is a great location with easy access to the bay. Neither technically allow liveaboards "no ask...no tell".
Check those guys out on the net.
jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:58   #3

Boat: 1970 Morgan 40
Send a message via AIM to cmesiam
Jim,

Yes, I've talked to the folks at Salt Ponds, they seemed very nice and affordable. I'll talk to the others as soon as I get a chance. I'd rather be on the soouth side of the river inlet though. The traffic there seems unbelieveable! I'll be working at LittleCreek Naval Amphib Base. Yes, they have a marina there, but do not allow live aboards.
cmesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 14:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Salt ponds does have draft issues if you are 5 ft plus. Little Creek is actually a great place but availability would be the key. Willoughby Spit may be OK. It's sort of stuck out in the middle of no where. I will say none of these places are in great residential neighborhoods.

For others York River Yacht Haven in Gloucester Point on the York River is nice with floating slips on some but not cheap. Severn River Marina is in the Mobjack is located about 7 miles from Gloucester Point and would be the cheapest. It's not a fun commute to Norfolk. We live close to both of those. They both have good draft. Little Creek has about the best draft. We have friends there as well as Salt Ponds.

As mentioned the live aboard issue is best handled as don't ask and don't tell. I know folks living aboard at all the above places.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 16:02   #5

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
OK, if you are working at Little Creek there are several marinas, including the one we keep our boat at as a live aboard. Off the Little Creek inlet towards Pretty Lake there is Bay Point Marina, Taylors Landing, Little Creek Marina, they all have live aboards, but there is a maximum number they allow. There is also Cobbs Marina you could try.
Vinings Marine Group cover most of these marinas, check out Vinings Marine Group for the contact numbers. Also try the marinas on Willoughby Bay, Rebel Marina and Willoughby Harbor.

Bob
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 16:05   #6

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
Little creek has its own marina, so you can stay on base if you like. Lately they have been a little cranky about live aboards. The rest of the marinas in that basin do accept live aboards. I would highly reccomend that you do not go to hampton the commute would eat up the savings.

Bay Point has quite a few liveaboard "squids" :P

Salt ponds is getting dredged again this year hopefully soon!
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote