Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2011, 07:24   #16

Re: La Ceiba , Honduras - Lagoon Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
I would not leave my boat In Puerto Rico during the hurricane season but that is just me.
Why not a shorter trip and leave your boat on the Rio Dulce with 300 other boats. Fresh water lake too.. Why all the way to Trinidad. Alot of sailing misery they dont need. Good luck. If they go to Trinidad then bring good rain gear and a few lightning rods.
Where is Rio Dulce? Googled and saw Guatemala as one possiblilty. Probably have confused you (sometimes confuse myself) by leading you to think the boat is in Honduras now. It was in Ft. Lauderdale and they are presently sailing SE with hopes to get to Trinidad. New owner (my cousin's hubby) says insurance required Trinidad marinas during hurricane season. He also sometimes has work there himself so is familier with the country.

Looking forward to a clear connection conversation with my husband today as they are at the San Salvador marina in the Bahamas for a bit of rest and a few repairs. Did manage to get from the noisy wind connection from the Sat. ph. yesterday that they do not have enough time for Trinidad and were thinking Puerto Rico.

Trying to learn as much from yall as I can as this is all new territory for me in the sailing world. Thanks so much!
LSUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 08:28   #17

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUE View Post
Where is Rio Dulce? Googled and saw Guatemala as one possiblilty. Probably have confused you (sometimes confuse myself) by leading you to think the boat is in Honduras now. It was in Ft. Lauderdale and they are presently sailing SE with hopes to get to Trinidad. New owner (my cousin's hubby) says insurance required Trinidad marinas during hurricane season. He also sometimes has work there himself so is familier with the country.

Looking forward to a clear connection conversation with my husband today as they are at the San Salvador marina in the Bahamas for a bit of rest and a few repairs. Did manage to get from the noisy wind connection from the Sat. ph. yesterday that they do not have enough time for Trinidad and were thinking Puerto Rico.

Trying to learn as much from yall as I can as this is all new territory for me in the sailing world. Thanks so much!
Rio Dulce is in Guatemala. I'm at a marina there now.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 08:33   #18

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
pirate Re: La Ceiba , Honduras - Lagoon Marina

Rio Dulce, Guatemala

Panama and maybe Rio Dulce should be included in the insurance policy as safe hurricane free places as well as Colombia. Trinidad is not a bad place but a long way from Bahamas. What size boat does he have? What is his experience. I would not think the insurance policy would cover now Hurricane season has started on his trip South to Trinidad. Check your coverage before you go.
I have the best policy... Self insurance It lets me go where I want without conditions. The agent is pretty nice too.:
Old 27-06-2011, 09:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
Rio Dulce, Guatemala

Panama and maybe Rio Dulce should be included in the insurance policy as safe hurricane free places as well as Colombia. Trinidad is not a bad place but a long way from Bahamas. What size boat does he have? What is his experience. I would not think the insurance policy would cover now Hurricane season has started on his trip South to Trinidad. Check your coverage before you go.
I have the best policy... Self insurance It lets me go where I want without conditions. The agent is pretty nice too.:
72 ft. Frersketch with 10 ft. draft is the boat. Just talked with a marina in Puerto Rico that cannot acommodate a boat that size. They told us to contact Nanny Cay in the Virgin Islands. That website seems to be able to handle this boat. When I talk to the guys I will pass that along.

As far as experience, the owner who is my cousin's husband, is an ROV owner/operator as his occuptation. He is European and has been working on the water all of his life. Sailing is new to him though. He can take apart and fix almost anything and is really a smart man but got a bad case of Sailboat Fever. One of the four men on the boat does have sailing experience. My husband and I have owned various smaller boats all of our lives but not sail boats......... which we knew from the start was a different but intriguing animal.

This type of adventure is one my husband has always longed to do so he bought into it even though I had reservations about the timing. Have done a whole lot of praying for safe travel and that's about all I can do along with trying to educate myself on here (thanks for the patience guys).
From the start I'd hoped that they would have left the boat in a marina in Ft. Lauderdale thru hurricane season. They just kept saying that the insurance dictated Trinidad and with him having connections there for repairs guess that was the draw there.
LSUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 09:44   #20

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

To get back to La Ceiba, it's best to stop first in Utila to check in and if you enter the harbor, do so early in the morning or late afternoon and go directly to the Lagoon Marina. If you just go in and drop anchor, all sorts of agents and officials will descend upon you demanding fees. For the price of a couple of first class theatre tickets you do get to bust their chops for a few hours.
The marina is very nice, but you get the feeling the Port Captain wants to keep tourists away from all the drug traffic.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 05:12   #21
Marine Service Provider

I have been there to buy Mercury parts. Looks very well organized, but I did not feel too much friendliness, maybe because I am a Honduran ..... now if you come to Roatan we have Gibson Bight Marina close to West End on the north shore. Very protected.
roatanseazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Honduras, honduras, lagoon