Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 13:18   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Just a Vent

This past weekend I went sailing for the first time in my new to me boat. Yes, this was my first time I ever sailed. A 2 year restoration. Single handed and docked myself. Only rounded up once. Today I amended my insurance policy thru Progressive due to behavior of the people at the boat harbor. The marina does not require insurance. I lowered my deductibles and increased my boat value. The harbor has a large commercial fishing fleet. It bothers me that I have to do this. This all stemmed from the weekend warrior (Anchorage crowd) bumper boats and total disregard for personal property. Upon leaving in a swarm of hurried day boaters, I had to manage an enormous wake created by a large sport fishing boat in the "no wake" zone of the narrow exit channel followed by many smaller sport boats riding my butt yelling "hurry up". Everything was on the floor of the cabin that was not tied down. Others were not so lucky. I saw a sport fishing boat back into a pleasure boat with a resulting crunch. The fishing boat continued on its way while yelling "sorry no insurance". The docks were awash with bad attitudes and the F word could be heard from every direction emanating from walking tattoos that resembled humans. And on my return from a wonderful sail somebody decided to birth in my slip. Luckily they were still there and when I asked them to remove their boat I got snears from the young females that were aboard. I had to ask them to put my dock ropes back (they were in their boat) and I am pretty sure they were the ones that made off with my water hose and sprayer. The guy driving was angry and on leaving said "yeah, you gotta nice boat". I took that as a threat of retaliation. Maybe this is a one time event but definitely not what I had envisioned as "boat life". But what did I expect from a place that has a stripper barge moored just outside the harbor, yup strippers attracting that kind of crowd. Rant over.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 13:33   #2

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35
Re: Just a Vent

Sounds like S Florida on Memorial Day.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 14:03   #3

Just another holiday weekend at peanut island! I usually have enough "courage juice" too ignore the idiots and just look after my stuff and my people. Fun to watch the boat ramp on days like that.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 14:54   #4

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Stripper barge, huh? That has to be a goldmine.
Old 20-06-2017, 15:04   #5

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Goldmine, maybe. I consider it more like a wild bush where guys get pruned to the root. Once your on that tub you cannot get off till the next water taxi comes along. Your stuck. No POV's allowed. Swimming is not an option in this glacier fed water.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote