Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2010, 16:40   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
Question Ensenada Marinas ?

I need to leave a boat in Ensenada for several months this fall.
Do you have any recommendations for the inexpensive and fairly safe marina?
Old 19-04-2010, 07:34   #2

Curiseport marina is reputed to be safe. The Marina at Ensenada Cruisport Village...
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 14:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailPenelope View Post
Curiseport marina is reputed to be safe. The Marina at Ensenada Cruisport Village...
Thank you SailPenelope. I was told there are couple of places not advertised on the web = less expensive. Have you heard about others?
Old 20-04-2010, 07:06   #4

Well, I'm actually going to be at Cruiseport next week (Newport-Ensenada race). The captain of the boat I'm on chose Cruiseport for its high security and low surge. He's spent quite a bit of time in Ensenada, so he should know. He mentioned one other....Juanitos.....but said there was a lot of surge there.....that you'd actually be better off anchored.
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 07:21   #5

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
You can find out a bit about the Marinas at The Log.com Marinas Guide . There is also Sergios, and what used to be Marina Ensenada, but status is ??? I stayed at Baja Naval over the holidays. A bit surgey but reasonable security and low prices. If you want to leave your boat for lengths of time, Cruiseport seems to be the recommended place. Very low surge, very good security because of the cruise ships that dock alongside.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 07:48   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
We just had our boat in Ensenada for a few months and spent a couple weeks there. Cruiseport essentially has no meaningful surge. That's not true for the others. There are more amenities at Baha Naval. Both Cruiseport and Baha Naval have helpful and friendly staff. I'd rate the security at Cruiseport as better. They are both convenient to the town, though Baha Naval perhaps a bit better.

Cruiseport is quite new and the docks and facilities are in excellent condition. If you go there, say hi to Jonathan for me in the office. Great guy, very helpful.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 09:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailPenelope View Post
Well, I'm actually going to be at Cruiseport next week (Newport-Ensenada race).
Thank you for the info and good luck! Go fast and have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sded View Post
You can find out a bit about the Marinas at The Log.com Marinas Guide .
Thanks. I may decide to go there before by land... Thank you for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post

Cruiseport is quite new and the docks and facilities are in excellent condition. If you go there, say hi to Jonathan for me in the office. Great guy, very helpful.

ID
Thank you for your input. I'll say hi to Jonathan from you...
Old 20-04-2010, 11:15   #8

Boat: Hylas 47
Cruiseport was very nice, but definitely more expensive. Baja Naval was more convenient for walking places. The staff at Cruiseport were very helpful, even gave us rides in their car to pick up ice.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 21:05   #9

Thank you everybody for your excellent tips.
Just came back from Ensenada. My friend needed help with moving his 44 custom cutter from California to Ensenada. We arrived early morning and went to Baja Naval where he made arrangements before. Plenty of surge indeed. Now I know what you were talking about. They required mexican liability insurance. We later moved to Cruiseport since he is leaving the boat for several months and less surge and better security was a factor. I also secured the spot for myself over there.
The security in Cruiseport was more than we expected. We were coming back to the boat after dinner and my friend forgot his ID. Oops! We couldn't get through the security. After about 40 minutes back and forth on the radio with supervisor the finally let us in.
Intentional Drifter: Jonathan says hello!
Thanks again,
Old 18-12-2010, 12:48   #10

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Hello everyone,

I just reserved a slip at the Coral Hotel Marina for a month. Was that a bad choice and need to switch Marinas?
helmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 13:13   #11

Marina Coral is very nice and should suit you fine. The Hotel has lots of amenities for you to use (like a gym, etc), and even a very nice restaurant with a Sunday Brunch worth visiting. It is a few km out of town, but has a shuttle and a bus ride is only $8p to town. Even a nice walk once in a while. More surge than Cruiseport, since it is only a single breakwater, but well worth a month visit. Security also does not appear to be quite as good, but certainly good enough. They will do your checkin/checkout very reasonably and efficiently also. We stayed at Baja Naval over Thanksgiving, but will probably give Coral a try next trip to Ensenada.
Old 18-12-2010, 13:20   #12

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Thanks for the fast reply. I'm going to be leaving it there then coming back and sailing the rest of the way down to San Jose del Cabo where ill leave it for another month. Then sail up to San Carlos
helmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 13:24   #13

I was told that the surge is highest at Coral, then Baja Naval and almost non existing at Cruiseport.
I am (or my boat is) at Cruiseport until March, then I will sail south.
People like Coral for its amenities. I'd say you can see if surge bothers you. If it does you can always switch to Cruiseport.
Old 18-12-2010, 13:24   #14

Should be a fine choice. For local information, there is a cruisers net on ch69 at 0800 if you need anything while there. Lots of longer term boats there as well as transients. For surge, many use chain ends around the dock cleats and good chafe gear around the boat chocks. Don't think the surge is any worse than Baja Naval from observation, but haven't stayed at Coral yet. Naval has a much longer fetch when the wind comes up, but ??? In any case ask someone to watch your boat while you are gone. The cat liked Baja Naval fine, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	banavcat.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	22049  

Tags
marinas