Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 14:22   #1

Boat: Columbia C45 45'
Ensenada BC Mexico

We are thinking of going to Ensenada later this year and would appreciate recommendations on marinas. I did a search and the newest post I found was from 2011. TIA.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:34   #2

Boat: Hylas 47
Re: Ensenada BC Mexico

I sailed south through Ensenada in 2009, and up through Ensenada in 2011. Jonathan at Cruiseport Marina was more than courteous both times. He was probably the most helpful marina operator I've ever had the pleasure to come across. The people at Marina Coral were friendly and helpful when we went to buy fuel.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:35   #3

Boat: Hylas 47

The fish tacos were amazing. Ask Rich Boren for his recommendations.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:14   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Marina Coral was very nice when we were there in 2000. Nice marina with good staff and full resort hotel amenities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:32   #5

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We have stayed at both Marina Coral and Cruiseport although Coral is outside of town by what would be a very long walk. Also, everything at Coral is looking worn, including the marina facilities. Cruiseport is much more modern and is near the town's center.

Baja Naval, known for it's high-quality (if expensive) haul-out and boat yard, also has a few slips and sometimes they're available for transient yachts.

Ensenada had been thriving until the US State Department issued a travel warning for Mexico. Many of the shops geared for tourists closed, leaving the Main Street a little depressing. Regardless, we look forward to returning there, if we ever get back to the west coast of North America.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:58   #6

Since you're in San Diego, have you checked The Log? activecaptain? There are so many resources for you.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 20:09   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by john540 View Post
The fish tacos were amazing. Ask Rich Boren for his recommendations.
Talk about timing...I just returned from Ensenada today delivering a water maker, which was really just an excuse for a Taco Run!

The "best" marina I think depends on what you are looking for. Coral is more of a "resort" but for me is too far removed from easy Taco cart walking of down town Ensenada. But if you are into the swimming pool resort type of place...well I can see the value of staying there.

Baja Naval...yes...it is certainly "down town" but honestly, the Marina to me seems more like a staging place for the haul out yard.

If I'm staying in Ensenada, it's an easy choice for me to stay at Cruise Port. Clean, friendly, nice showers and bathrooms and easy walking distance to some fabuous tacos and things to do. The negatives: 1300ppm TDS (read undrinkable) dock water and poor/sketchy wifi on the docks. I had to go up to the "cruisers lounge" in the office complex for reliable Wifi.

If I was in San Diego...heck I would drive down to Ensenada and check them all out. I made the drive there and back today and it was pretty easy and non-drama filled.

Ping me and I can give you a list of good Tacos in town and on the way down!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 15:10   #8

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Talk about timing...I just returned from Ensenada today delivering a water maker, which was really just an excuse for a Taco Run!

The "best" marina I think depends on what you are looking for. Coral is more of a "resort" but for me is too far removed from easy Taco cart walking of down town Ensenada. But if you are into the swimming pool resort type of place...well I can see the value of staying there.

Baja Naval...yes...it is certainly "down town" but honestly, the Marina to me seems more like a staging place for the haul out yard.

If I'm staying in Ensenada, it's an easy choice for me to stay at Cruise Port. Clean, friendly, nice showers and bathrooms and easy walking distance to some fabuous tacos and things to do. The negatives: 1300ppm TDS (read undrinkable) dock water and poor/sketchy wifi on the docks. I had to go up to the "cruisers lounge" in the office complex for reliable Wifi.

If I was in San Diego...heck I would drive down to Ensenada and check them all out. I made the drive there and back today and it was pretty easy and non-drama filled.

Ping me and I can give you a list of good Tacos in town and on the way down!

We are planning to drive down as soon as we receive our passports, mine expired years ago and my wife has never had one. Then we are planning to drive down and stay for about a week to look at all the marinas and explore the town and area.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 15:49   #9

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Good Plan... you will find Marina Coral on your right not far after you pass through the last toll stop before Ensenada on Highway 1. Cruiseport Marina is downtown at the end of the little row of shops south of Baja Naval. Depending on the time of your arrival, just follow the crowds from Papa's and Beer downtown trying to find their way back to CruisePort Marina. I recall enjoying a sundowner sitting on the bridge of a clients boat in the marina watching the drunks trying to run down the dock to catch the cruise ship before it left (usually with their passports aboard). I offered a couple of rather blasted young ladies a ride back to San Diego once but they 'fessed up through streaming tears that thier passports were aboard the ship as it pulled out of the harbor! Needless to say, I didn'r need that kind of hassle at the C&I dock on Shelter Island coming back in to the US! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 17:46   #10

Had a boat in Cruise Port Marina once, they were good and they even negotiated the price.

The Plus side of that marina is that it is downtown vs Coral which is farther out and would require a bus ride or taxi to town.
Njordr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico