Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2018, 02:15   #1

Dodgy Repairers in Phuket Mafia

As I am not likely to return to M9 Marina Chalong Bay Phuket, here is a warning about if you decide to haul out here at M9.
First the good news, the location is good the Marina employed staff is ok but the cost is not cheap any more 2018.
My warning is about employing the yard contractor who makes out he can repair or refit all things to do with boats , he destroys more than he fixes.
The contractors name is Mr Gow (pronounced cow ,khow , ghow etc).
Be warned he has very limited experience in proper professional procedures and in all instances will cut costs whilst providing substandard workmanship.
If you, the boat owner complains or does not want to pay he has several threats to make you pay up .
He could call the police he could call immigration these are his mates who provide him commission on their victims.
Another threat is his team of young Thai men who love to threaten Foreigners with a bit of kick boxing practice .
Fortunately I saw this conman for what he was early and avoided employing him the whole I was there .
This shun did cause me trouble also as just mentioned and after a nasty verbal stoush where I stood my ground he sicked his immigration mates onto me .
Technically speaking a foreign Captain can work on his own boat but Thai immigration is notorious in making up rules as they go many grey areas.
One immigration gang of officials (without ID) would visit the many Dive companies on Friday afternoon and take into custody the European instructors (mainly female) holding their passports until a fine was paid or they could wait in jail for processing in court on Monday.
In most circumstances the company had to pay $20 or $50 to get their workers back.
These Government Mafia style groups operate on the edge of the law with virtual immunity .
Non Thais should never go to court to challenge a Thai or its system , they love it and will bleed you dry with a decision in the foreigners favour very rare .
Oops I kept up my rant a bit more than expected, like I said I dont think I will be back in Thailand too soon , a bit of a shame really as I have friends there and a lot of respect for the power house women who keep the place running , its just the lazy self righteous men that put me off .
These comments are particular to Phuket, an area void of most Thai culture as the local population are mainly recent immigrants trying to cash in on the tourists.
Lance Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote