Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-05-2009, 12:09   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The copper companies have lobbyist. You need to start taking your congressman to lunch, or throw them a huge birthday party. Simply, you are not the one lining the pockets of those who decide.........i2f

SAILING is not always a slick magazine cover!
BORROWED..No single one of is as smart as all of us!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 13:12   #17

I agree and I think this economic down turn to wake up the smart marina owner. The fact that those that are still boating have choices and should use them .There are many empty slips (at least in my area). we should chose those marinas that serve us not the other way around. Its absurd that simple sewer hook up cant be installed in marinas they have them in all RV sites and there is no big charge.

jpssailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 15:19   #18
breaker of your dreams

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Maybe if all (at least most) boaters followed the current rules there would be less new ones being pushed. A fews ago while working on getting my boat really to move the tide was flowing and out turds were floating out with the current past my boat on both sides. And this when there were only 3 dock fingers up-current. So it kind of made me wonder how many of those boats were pumping their tanks during the ebb so it would just "go away". And this was in a no discharge zone to start with.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 05:16   #19

I can understand the cost to smaller marinas to install trailer park plumbing to each and every slip, we don't want to lose mom and pop size facilities, but the big "modern" marinas could comply with pump out docks that could handle more than one boat at a time. I don't think anyone if provided a station they can access when leaving or returning from the marina would pass on the opportunity to do the right thing. Clear Lake has the 3rd largest concentration of recreational boater in the nation and after hurricane Ike only 4 of 6 stations operational. If private buisness wil not pony up on their own, and today they are upgrading with the help of insurance, then why will the stae of Texas or for that matter municipal interest who as we speak are discussing limiting live aboards for discharge violation, not install well designed pump out stations. I really amazes me that they will spend money inspecting boats one at a time utilizing CG aux. or police that could be serving us with needed safety assistance when they could impact the problem with an investment to improve water quality looking forward. They have no real excuse as sanitary sewer infrastructure is already in the ground and available to recieve the waste. There is also dock space owned by the cities of Clear Lake Shores, League City, Seabrook, and Kemah. One would think if they were really concerned about improving water quality 4 well designed stations in each city certainly would impact the situation.
stuffinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 05:37   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sewer overflows are generally larger contributers to waterway pollution, than are live-aboard boats.

Sanitary sewer overflows (SSOs) are discharges of untreated sewage from municipal sanitarysewer systems as a result of broken pipes, equipment failure, or system overload. Combined sewer overflows (CSOs) are discharges of untreated sewage and storm water from municipal sewer systems or treatment plants when the volume of wastewater exceeds the systemís capacity due to periods of heavy rainfall or snow melt, etc.

In a combined sewer, there is only one pipe which carries both sanitary and storm drainage. During dry weather, combined sewers carry all contents to treatment plants. However, during wet weather, the volume of water may exceed the treatment plant's capacity, and some of the water overflows untreated into the discharge (lake/river/ocean).

Undersized sanitary systems with sewers and pumps that are too small to carry all the sewage; system failures due to tree roots growing into the sewer, sections of sewer pipe settling or shifting so that pipe joints no longer match, or sediment and other material building-up causing blockages; equipment and pump failures; and power failures can also contribute to sewer overflows.
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 08:51   #21

I still remember when this was the land of the free. When I am King, there will be a limit on the number of laws that can exist. For every new law that's made, one will be retired. It will force the legislature to pass only those laws that are necessary. Clean water is a great idea, but a little honest realism would be nice.
How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges?
keelbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 19:34   #22

I stayed the past two winters at the city of hollywood fl city marina It is a clean marina. They provide free pump out One is not allowed to even dump fish parts when cleaning the catch of the day But interestingly there was never an issue with having the botton cleaned
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 21:42   #23
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
A large part of the problem is there are too many people. I spent some time up on Prince Edward Island, and the local seaweed harvesters were having a problem with the run off from the local potato farmers that was killing off the seaweed that they had been harvesting for a long time. The commercial potato growers run off was poisoning the waters in the area. There weren't enough live aboards there to even merit a mention.
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 22:07   #24

In the home stretch of life.....

Originally Posted by jpssailing View Post
Wow , Well Im glad Im 50. Had a lot of fun and fond memories of owning boats. Glad Ill be gone when they make it completly safe and non threatining .
Funny, I have essentially the same attitude as you do regarding our similar age. I figure things are going to continue going downhill & I won't miss it once I'm gone

In the meantime, I hope to tune out the political extremists around me.

BigDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: