Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 13:33   #1

Cheapest Dockage around New Orleans

Hi all,
I've been shopping around for a while and am starting to get a better idea of what type of boat i'm interested in. I considered the possibility of living aboard but am starting to move away from that, I think. I'd still like to have a boat for both short holiday trips of a couple of days and for summer cruises around the gulf.
So, my question is: what are some low-budget options for dockage? I'm looking closely at a Hughes-Columbia 36 that I think I can get a deal on. I'd be willing to look at options outside of the city if it means lower costs. Does anyone have any info on great deals in the area? As far as I know, mooring fields aren't really a thing around here, is that correct?
Some numbers I have found:
Orleans marina charges $575 quarterly for a 35 foot slip. That jumps to $861 for a 40' slip. Can I get away with squeezing in to a 35 footer if I jump on the Columbia-Hughes 36? If not, the difference in cost of dockage could be a deal breaker. And even still, ~190 a month is taxing on my monthly budget.
Any ideas? Or inside hookups for super cheap dockage? I know SYC has a ton of empty slips. Not sure if that's a possibility....
Thanks and any help is appreciated.
Duncan
dtbjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 17:12   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Cheapest Dockage around New Orleans

SouthShore is cheaper I think, you could also try the North Shore. Mandeville and Slidel both have cheaper slips than in the city.

I think there is a marina in Kenner but have no idea what their prices are like.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 17:44   #3

Boat: never mind...

What you see at SYC is the West End, which has gone unrepaired since Hurricane Katrina. The New Orleans Municipal Harbor is on the south end of that harbor and is functional.

West End’s Katrina | Gulf Latitudes

Dead end at West End? What's the delay in rebuilding this jewel? | The Lens

Just interjecting what little info I have.

There are slips just across the state line in Mississippi at Bay St Louis, Gulfport, etc. Less than an hours' drive.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 18:02   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Take a look at Bonfouca Marina in Slidell - AKA the 'trailer park' - lots of liveaboards there, comparatively inexpensive. You do know that just about any marina you go to is going to want liability insurance?
You said $190/month might stretch your budget - you might be in for some surprises regarding boat ownership. Just sayin'.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 19:05   #5

Orleans Marina is unlikely to have any open slips, but you might try giving them a call. The Municipal Yacht Harbor by the Southern Yacht Club may have a slip but no power or water (don't get me started on the inability of our pathetic city government to do anything at all). Southshore is a good bet for liveaboard near the city. Seabrook on the Industrial Canal may have a slip for a few more bucks or try the RV Park next to Seabrook. Oak Harbor in Slidell would be the next place to try, as well as the new marina across I-10 from Oak Harbor (not sure of their pricing but I think it's opened now). Bonfouca Marina has been mentioned. Other than that try Marina Del Ray in Mandeville. Slips are available, but you may need to look around to see what suits you.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 19:12   #6

Awesome, thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll start poking around. The Municipal Yacht Harbor might be worth looking into knowing that it's not affiliated with SYC.
The Hughes-Columbia I looked at today was actually in the Bonfouca Marina. Of course the seller forgot to mention in the ad that the boat had no mast.... The hunt continues. Quaint looking place though.
dtbjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:02   #7

I'll second the suggestion to consider driving an hour east. Rates are less than $300 per month for a 35 foot liveaboard, and plenty of available slips.
PeteHalstedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:36   #8

Greetings from Baton Rouge, I was looking over Craig's list New Orleans last night. Search for boat slips for rent - 100 ( Slidell la)

Also, there's Bonfouca Marina Slidell listed. Starting at 4.00 a ft. Good luck.
gmasichuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:40   #9

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

One of the nice things about Bonfouca Marina in Slidell is that you can work on your boats here... That might be a consideration you would want to think about. You are also close to stores (Home Depot and wal-mart is just down the road). We have been at marinas where it is frowned on to have even an ice chest outside��. You can also park right by your boat....no lugging things down a finger pier. Good luck on your quest.
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:57   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbjan View Post
Hi all,
the difference in cost of dockage could be a deal breaker. And even still, ~190 a month is taxing on my monthly budget.

Any ideas?
You shouldn't get a boat! Sorry!

Tags
cheap, dock, new orleans