Old 30-12-2010, 07:10   #46

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Sorry about that Brad not the
Old 30-12-2010, 08:18   #47
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Same to you my friend - and lets face it, we all contribute to thread drift from time to time!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 18:38   #48

Re: Caribbean Marina Suggestions ?

Looking for Dockage in or near santo domingo in order to sail there for my husbands US B1B2 Visa... Will need to stay for 5 nights on our 43ft monohull sailboat, she's a Dufour.
Also have young children on board, me and two kids have our American passports but husband is Irish & British... So we are going to the Us Embassy/Consulate for his visa. Any recommendations for dockage/moorage/or anchorage would help. Will be arriving I. August 2014z
Thank for your time
Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 18:31   #49

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Your only real choice on the south shore close to Santo Domingo is Zar-Par Marina.
See: Marina Zar Par

If you don't have easy access to the internet here is their introductory paragraph:
The Marina is located at: 18°25.50N 69°36.67W on the south shore of the Dominican Republic (Island of Hispaniola). The harbor is referred to as San Andreas (old harbor) or Caucedo (new harbor). Coming in you will pass the new harbor (mega port) and leave it to port. As you turn to starboard at the end of the channel entering, you will leave the old harbor also to port. Favoring your port side, you will then leave the private club Nautico to port, and ahead you will see the Marina. The bottom is mostly sand and mud and the controlling depth is 10 feet, (when the wind is out of the NE, the depth will be less by about one foot. And if you arrive at low tide, allow for another foot.) Vessels drawing more than 7’ should contact the Marina before entry for assistance. CALL ON VHF CHANNEL 6

Their current rates from the website are: US$19/day for mooring ball;
Marina Slips - US$1.18/ft/day includes water but electricity is $3/day extra.
No weekly rates shown but a 10% discount off the daily rate for a month.

Security can be an issue in the D.R. so being in a slip in the marina is, IMHO, your best bet.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 19:51   #50

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

[aargh, did not notice date of OP]

[QUOTE=wagerfiend;284450]...

... Belize, or Roatan? I'd like to take my Gulfstar 50 from Galveston to the destination and leave her there for a while..../QUOTE]

For leaving a boat during hurricane season, I would go with Rio Dulce, Guatemala. Many cruiser do. More below:

Belize has a few options: Cucumber Beach near Belize City. Roberts Grove in Placencia. I've got 75' of unoccupied dock space on Placencia Caye. Roberts Grove and Placencia Caye would be good for most conditions, both protected from all directions. Cucumber Beach's entrance faces East, and its a straight shot in, so if the wind howls from there...not good.

Many boats in Belize head for the Rio Dulce for hurricane season or just to run from individual storms. No worries about hurricanes there (its surrounded by mountains). Lots of small marinas to choose from, with boat keeping services, and two good boat yards. One day run back to Belizean waters. And an over night run to the Bay Islands.

Roatan has a few marinas: Barefoot Caye (quite nice), Fantasy Island, Parrot Tree, and a couple of others. Lagoon Marina (in La Ceiba) is still closed to my knowledge.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:35   #51

I am currently docked on Roatan at www.barefootcay.com . First rat3e marina with onsite dive operation, lovely pool, restaurant and extremely friendly staff. Roving armed guards at night. Fuel dock close-by. Entrance is at Brick Bay about a mile west of French Harbor. Call them on VHF 18A and they'll send a panga to guide you in, but the entrance is easy-peazy.

www.yachtaide.com
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, marinas, western caribbean