Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-09-2013, 00:35   #1

Boat: Lagoon 39
Cape Town

Hi all, I'm interested in finding a berth in or near Cape Town for a few months. Any suggestions please?

We are in a 44ft cat.
Thank you

Old 11-09-2013, 00:46   #2
SFH

Boat: Jeanneau Yacht 53
Send a message via Skype™ to SFH
Re: Cape Town

Hi
I depends what you are looking for.

You have to decide whether you want to be on the Atlantic ocean or Indian Ocean side.

Hout Bay is a nice one and quite laid back. I have been going out from the site for years for diving. Not a lot of facilities and about 20min of driving to the city

If you want to pay bigger money you might want to berth right opposite to V&A Waterfront shopping mall in the center of Cape Town. Ask my wife and she would settle in this place on the instant

On the Indian Ocean side in False Bay, Simonstown, has a nice marina and from here you can visit all the nice cities, wineyards etc. on the Eastern side of the Table Mountain.

Rgds
Steen

Old 11-09-2013, 01:06   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Hout Bay is nice but quite a way from Cape Town. If you want to be in Cape Town itself then Royal Cape Yacht Club is cheaper than V&A. Also Elliot Basin although I think I've heard that isn't open to guests any more.

Be careful on your way round the coast... we had 58 knots on the nose as we tried to enter Hout Bay, nothing more than 25 out at sea but the wind can really funnel down that Bay!

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Simonstown was very good when we visited.

b.
Old 11-09-2013, 13:49   #5

Boat: Dufour 2800

Hi Sander,
Here are links to Cape Town marinas:
Hout Bay Yacht Club
fbyc.co.za
rcyc.co.za
Berth here
Hout Bay is about 30 mins drive from city center and Simons town is about an hour away.
There are others further up the west coast about an hours + drive - Mykonos marina and Saldahna yc. These are more affordable but more remote.
Old 11-09-2013, 14:02   #6

Thanks for all the advice. I think we will try V&A for a limited time as it is expensive but probably the best for visiting Cape Town and then move elsewhere for the medium term. Those winds sound scary. We're planning to arrive via Knysna mid December.
Old 11-09-2013, 14:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Hout Bay is nice but quite a way from Cape Town. If you want to be in Cape Town itself then Royal Cape Yacht Club is cheaper than V&A. Also Elliot Basin although I think I've heard that isn't open to guests any more.

Be careful on your way round the coast... we had 58 knots on the nose as we tried to enter Hout Bay, nothing more than 25 out at sea but the wind can really funnel down that Bay!
Tony Herrick's South African Cruising guide warns boaters about the 'Doctor' that frequently visits the Cape Town area. This strong wind can be quite hazardous. I am probably not alone in failing to realize Mossel Bay is part of Cape Town. Long story short, many boaters find themselves in need of assistance when the doctor arrives. Include me in the group. The wind hit 65 knots as the tow vessel struggled to make 1.5 knots against the wind and waves.

Also, if you go into Mossel Bay be aware anchoring there due to this wind is very hazardous. Not recommended.

Finally, if you take a slip in the marina make sure it's on the inside. The outside berths are downright dangerous when the doctor is around.
Old 11-09-2013, 16:16   #8

Boat: 50' catamaran

You have the following options;

Cape Town V&A - good security, flat water, expensive, lots of shops, tourist congregate at here.

Royal Cape Yacht Club - industrial area, security, some repair facilities, filthy, tightly packed, no immediate amenities or shops.

Granger Bay - big wave surge (dangerous), lots of boats damaged here, security, no amenities, no stay onboard

HoutBay - Cheapest, security, stunning area, 20 Km away from city, well serviced by Cape Town yacht industry, very relaxed place, plenty maneuvering space, fish smell from factories nearby, ample shops for dinning and general amenities, area is a popular tourist attraction - also a fishing harbour.

Simons Town - Secure gates (not sure about guards), fair prices, water surge, sleepy town, very little going on, 35 Km from city, little boating facilities.

Elliot Basin - CLOSED.

If you don't mind splashing out, then the V&A is recommended.
Otherwise I would suggest HoutBay.

The winds are not that crazy! It can certainly get windy and rough, but nothing a decent boat cannot handle. The +40 Knot winds happens about 4 to 5 times a year. The +60 Knot winds is probably about once a year. About 95% of the time, you can expect winds between 10 and 35 knots.
Old 12-09-2013, 00:08   #9

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I think we will try V&A for a limited time as it is expensive but probably the best for visiting Cape Town and then move elsewhere for the medium term. Those winds sound scary. We're planning to arrive via Knysna mid December.
We spent 6 weeks in Knysna staying with my wife's sister during November and December a couple of years back. Then headed to Cape Town for New Year. It was a lovely trip with a couple of great stops along the way but you do need to pay really close attention to the weather forecasts.

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Tony Herrick's South African Cruising guide warns boaters about the 'Doctor' that frequently visits the Cape Town area. This strong wind can be quite hazardous. I am probably not alone in failing to realize Mossel Bay is part of Cape Town. Long story short, many boaters find themselves in need of assistance when the doctor arrives. Include me in the group. The wind hit 65 knots as the tow vessel struggled to make 1.5 knots against the wind and waves.

Also, if you go into Mossel Bay be aware anchoring there due to this wind is very hazardous. Not recommended.

Finally, if you take a slip in the marina make sure it's on the inside. The outside berths are downright dangerous when the doctor is around.
Just amending my post. I meant Hout Bay, not Mossel Bay.
Old 12-09-2013, 14:36   #11

You could also look at Saldanha Yacht Port. It's an hour north of CT (similar to Simon's Town), but a very nice place on the edge of a national park, cheaper than RCYC, boats are looked after, there is a boat lift, and there are some services in Saldanha and nearby, like upholstery, stainless, and others.
Old 13-09-2013, 13:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
You could also look at Saldanha Yacht Port. It's an hour north of CT (similar to Simon's Town), but a very nice place on the edge of a national park, cheaper than RCYC, boats are looked after, there is a boat lift, and there are some services in Saldanha and nearby, like upholstery, stainless, and others.
If in the Saldanha area, then rather go to Club Mykonos!
Good marina on par with Yachtport any day, amenities, shops, restaurants, substantially cheaper than YachtPort, friendlier than Yachtport, unlike YachtPort - no "milking" the rich cow, etc.

YachtPort is a nice marina with a decent lifting crane but isolated with no other amenities in the immediate area. The trouble starts when you want to do your own work - the mooring rate then becomes much more expensive. The fees they charge lately is stupendous. The higher they charge, the less customers they get - to compensate for this shortfall and to meet overheads, they charge even more, etc. Their quotes to do some of the work you require is high - very high. In addition, they overestimate materials required and there is no credit for using less materials than estimated. They quoted 30 liters of anti fouling for my boat - we did the entire job with 17.5 liters of anti fouling for the same brand.
Old 13-09-2013, 14:01   #13

Quote:

Quote:
Just amending my post. I meant Hout Bay, not Mossel Bay.
There are no anchoring facilities at HoutBay - you probably meant mooring!?
Old 14-09-2013, 05:03   #14

Yes, we prefer a mooring in order be able to leave the boat and go exploring.

First things first though, we will have to move the boat from Knysna to Cape Town which could be challenging as we don't know this coast and haven't really sailed the boat properly either having bought her only in May!

Flights booked for mid December. Maybe we should look for assistance on this first leg? Some of the comments posted here have me a little worried!
Old 14-09-2013, 05:20   #15

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Our boat is in False Bay and we will be leaving in December some time with a stop in Cape Town before heading north.

Herrick's cruising guide mentioned earlier is very helpful. If you are starting in Knysna you are already past some of the nasty bits further east where harbours are very far apart. The basic idea is that you wait in harbour until you get a weather window and then go to the next harbour and wait there for the next window, the frontal systems seem to come through every 3 to 7 days. There is a terrific radio net called peri-peri net which is very helpful with weather and advice. BTW, you can only leave Knysna harbour with the right tide and weather. Final comment, we found that South Africans in general are very helpful.

Still looking for our next boat. Have decided we want to have something that will keep us happy for the next 10 years or so. By then I will be pushing 80 and if i am still sailing that will be a very good thing.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: