Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 08:44   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Anchorage outside of marina

We have a similar issue here in Kingston Ontario.

The city's feature transient marina also has a large basin where boats would anchor. Usually large boats with good anchors, but also people too cheap to pay for a slip...or a good anchor. The problem arose when the wind shifted or picked up...which happens almost daily. Poorly anchored boats with no one aboard would ping pong about the basin, usually ending up bashing into boats at paying slips. And it also became too crowded. So finally, signage went up, and enforcement patrols, for no more anchoring.

So many boats moved over to the nearby river mouth, just north of the causeway bridge. This was fine for a couple more years till again it became too crowded with some boats left there unattended for months. I don't know how, but they have enforced no anchoring there too, likely at the request of the adjacent marina who co-incidentally installed many new docks.

So now you have to go some distance from town to find an anchorage. The irony is that the city was established here because of the good, safe anchorage downtown.

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...y=_x%7DlGnfxqM
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:09   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
We have a similar issue here in Kingston Ontario.

The city's feature transient marina also has a large basin where boats would anchor. Usually large boats with good anchors, but also people too cheap to pay for a slip...or a good anchor. The problem arose when the wind shifted or picked up...which happens almost daily. Poorly anchored boats with no one aboard would ping pong about the basin, usually ending up bashing into boats at paying slips. And it also became too crowded. So finally, signage went up, and enforcement patrols, for no more anchoring.

So many boats moved over to the nearby river mouth, just north of the causeway bridge. This was fine for a couple more years till again it became too crowded with some boats left there unattended for months. I don't know how, but they have enforced no anchoring there too, likely at the request of the adjacent marina who co-incidentally installed many new docks.

So now you have to go some distance from town to find an anchorage. The irony is that the city was established here because of the good, safe anchorage downtown.

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...y=_x%7DlGnfxqM
I refused to weigh anchor in Confederation Basin (Kingston Harbour) several years ago when the local water cops told me to move. I challenged them (as stated before) that it was a federal harbour and they did not have jurisdiction. after 20 minutes of heated argument I told them to arrest me or go away..... they went away. There is a list of Federal Harbours on the Transport Canada website.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:34   #18

People and places seem to think the water is theirs anywhere near their place. It's terrible in Florida, people with water front houses seem to hate anyone anchoring out front, even way out...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:57   #19

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I refused to weigh anchor in Confederation Basin (Kingston Harbour) several years ago when the local water cops told me to move. I challenged them (as stated before) that it was a federal harbour and they did not have jurisdiction. after 20 minutes of heated argument I told them to arrest me or go away..... they went away. There is a list of Federal Harbours on the Transport Canada website.
How great for tourism is that? Those boaters are a steady stream of $$ to the downtown.

It may amuse you to know that Confed is having real financial trouble. For the last decade or so, they have been operating at a loss. So each year, they increase thier rates, and decrease staff/services to cover the loss. What they fail to understand is that the increases send customers away. A big loss occurred when they increased insurance requirements from $1 million liability to $2 million. That created a real issue for many boaters, and a good number left...leaving another loss, so another rate increase. Long story short, beatiful location, lots of docks and staff...very few boats. The sad part is that it hurts downtown businesses. Some boaters are big spenders. And almost every boat needs some supplies and entertainment. Its a real shame. Confed used to be absolutely full for the entire season. Those days are gone.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:06   #20

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Head View Post
I'm not familiar with DNR up that way but my experience with DNR in the SE-US is on par with any of the other alphabet boys (DHS, ICE, CG, SO). Law enforcers and revenuers.
In other words, just a bunch of idiotic enforcement zombies who lucked out by finding a bureaucratic office employing people who enjoy doing anything to give them a sense of power to frustrate tax payers; many of whom could never hold a job down or make a living doing something more useful.
Like as not, the marina probably thinks or believes they have rights & control over the approaches to their 'money pit' . . . Sailing and the sea is the last great "freedom from bureaucracy". . .
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:06   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
How great for tourism is that? Those boaters are a steady stream of $$ to the downtown.

It may amuse you to know that Confed is having real financial trouble. For the last decade or so, they have been operating at a loss. So each year, they increase thier rates, and decrease staff/services to cover the loss. What they fail to understand is that the increases send customers away. A big loss occurred when they increased insurance requirements from $1 million liability to $2 million. That created a real issue for many boaters, and a good number left...leaving another loss, so another rate increase. Long story short, beatiful location, lots of docks and staff...very few boats. The sad part is that it hurts downtown businesses. Some boaters are big spenders. And almost every boat needs some supplies and entertainment. Its a real shame. Confed used to be absolutely full for the entire season. Those days are gone.
It's shame, we've been in Kingston several times over the last couple of months,most recently last week for the Bob Dylan concert and two surveys there the two before. Beautiful town but I am totally convinced no government should be involved in business whether it be a marina or gas stations. They simply can't help but screw it up ..... nature of the beast.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:33   #22

Quote:

Gets worse. Used to do boat work, got called by someone docked there, marina kicked me out because I didn't have a "city passport" to allow me to work there. It was a weekend, no other service available so left the boater completely stranded. He told me he was never coming back to Kingston.
City Passport issued by city hall and you have to pay for it. Almost seems like a sanctioned kickback program.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:14   #23

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
In other words, just a bunch of idiotic enforcement zombies /snip

Yep, that's about right.
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsobers View Post
Hi all. So, the other day, I inadvertently found an anchorage just out past 2 different marinas. Apparently neither marina nor the coast guard knew about the anchorage. One of them called the coast guard on me while I was fishing. It so happens that the marina that called is the same one I am trying to join. Mostly because I don't want a hassle come haul out time and winter storage. I could anchor out there all summer and then look for winter storage when the time comes. I welcome any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,

Bill
Log onto Active Captain and add as an anchorage, lets 1000s of boaters know.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 13:15   #25

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
It may amuse you to know that Confed is having real financial trouble. For the last decade or so, they have been operating at a loss. So each year, they increase thier rates, and decrease staff/services to cover the loss. What they fail to understand is that the increases send customers away.
I've never been there. I'm not even a Canadian citizen. But let me offer one other possible perspective.

If the city owns a large parcel of prime waterfront real estate with a marina on it, there may be local real estate developers would would love to get their hands on it. They may (pure speculation) be very generous toward the local politicians. Through pure coincidence, those same politicians may be enacting policies that just happen to cause the marina to fail. Once it's proven to be a failure, what else is there to do but sell it to the developers?

Not saying it's happening there, or even could. But it's a tried-and-true method of privatizing government-owned assets on this side of the border.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 13:21   #26

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Head View Post
I'm not familiar with DNR up that way but my experience with DNR in the SE-US is on par with any of the other alphabet boys (DHS, ICE, CG, SO). Law enforcers and revenuers.
My experience with Dnr has been wardens, surveyors, property trespassers, over zealous authorities that now carry tactical armory
As said earlier revenuers and law enforcement. A recall a story of a couple of them having to have fish surgically removed from their butts after messing with some boys they had apparently underestimated.
Also bumper stickers : Support the DNR! With a rope !
Old 02-07-2017, 13:49   #27

Boat: CLC Skerry

Some marina managers and employees dislike it when boats avoid dock fees by anchoring near the marina, and then dinghy ashore to buy supplies, or don't come ashore at all. Rather than treating anchored cruisers as potential customers for their products and services, marina employees treat them like cheapskates and cheaters. Its short-sighted and mean-spirited, but it happens. If it happens to you, write an appropriate comment on ActiveCaptain or the marina's web page.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 15:05   #28

Should I pay to use the marina or just anchor out for the summer and worry about winter storage later? It's about $1400 for the summer. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with paying.

It's funny tho. The marinas have been passed on for several generations and nobody knew it was an anchorage. I don't see how that's possible.

Thanks for all the responses.
wjsobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 15:12   #29
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Wow. I guess we're lucky here in SE GA, then. There is a mapped anchorage area here just west of the marinas. No issues that I've heard about. And the CG and DNR in our area are really nice people. We get boarded by the CG once per year (although they try for more) because we are about the only boat out on the water past the shipping channel on a regular basis. They have to board SOMEBODY. LOL. DNR has always been good. They've contacted me numerous times when I've reported sea turtle sightings, both dead and alive. No issues at all.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 15:58   #30

No problem with the CG. They were very polite and professional. Didn't board my boat. Just talked a while.
wjsobers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor