Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2015, 19:54   #1

pirate Advice on California Harbors?

We just finished outfitting our boat for the long haul (a 1966 Islander 33) and will be leaving Monterey and heading to Mexico in a few days. Can anyone recommend the best marinas/harbors/anchorages along the way?
Mostly we like quiet and under the radar places...those not swamped with weekenders and party boats.

Thanks -
David and Mia - crew of the s/v Rain Dog
Chef David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 20:10   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Advice on California Harbors?

San Simeon (anchor out) and Moro Bay were both recommended by a cruising couple returning from Mexico this winter.
Old 19-04-2015, 21:18   #3

Boat: Club Sailor; various

The newly renovated guest docks in Marina del Rey are pretty nice. They are at the foot of Burton Chace Park with several smaller yacht clubs and a strip mall containing a supermarket, restaurants, and a West Marine store within walking distance:

Marina del Rey - Harbor Guide - Guest Docks
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 21:31   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

When you get to Morro Bay....give me a call if you need a ride around town or anything. We live aboard on a mooring in the bay and are the SSCA cruising station hosts so we are always happy to help.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 21:36   #5

If you are not in a hurry,start with still water cove and then to Phiefer cove, and then San Simion. Bouy your anchor in San Simion since I once watched a boat that was buddy boating (big mistake) cut their anchor line because they could not get it up, and they "HAD TO KEEP UP WITH THE BUDDY'. A little manuvering or even a cold water dive (it was only about 20 feet) might have saved an expensive anchor and chain. Morro bay is wonderful if the entrance is not nasty. Call on channel 16 to see if it is safe. San Louis is a good anchorage, and if you are tired after you go around Conception, duck into Coho and get a good nights sleep before going on to Santa Barbara. Coho is hard to locate unless you read the Coast Pilot very carefully, but it is a very nice anchorage if the wind is normal NW. It is a great trip. Best of luck. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 21:45   #6

As Third Day mentioned , Morro Bay is a great place if the surf isnt going across the entrance. The people are friendly and the Yacht Club is a welcome respite. The first time a went through Morro Bay (many years ago) I joined the Yacht Club as a Cruising Member. I carried the Burgee thru Mexico and the South Pacific. I am not a Yacht Club sort of person, but the MB Yacht club was an open and wonderful place. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 02:26   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Chef David,

This isn't the best time to head for Mexico. Cyclone season starts in June.

Don't know where you're located, but you may want to slowly cruise south, till at least Oct/Nov. The season's not over till Dec., but likelihood lessens after Nov.

Although it isn't a place where you'd want to spend too much time, I have to say Stillwater Cove was a wondrous place for us. It was spring, and the dolphins gathered for a migration; it was wondrous! ...and the Fates gifted us with a fogbow on leaving. Absolutely magic!

Suggest you take your time working your way south.

Ann
Old 20-04-2015, 06:59   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Advice on California Harbors?

If you don't already have a good cruising guide for California you should get one. Charlie's Charts ( Pacific Coast ) has good up to date info on all the harbors and anchorages you are asking about. It includes great info about the Channel Islands anchorages which should not be missed. No one mentioned Paradise Cove near Malibu for a stop between Santa Barbara or Channel Islands and Marina Del Rey or Catalina.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 08:10   #9

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Cat Harbor on the back side of Catalina is a very protected harbor with a good anchorage (free) or this time of year it has moorings for about 35 a night for your boat but if you buy two nights you get five free. The front side of the island also has that deal but the anchorage part can get crowded. There is a bar and a small store that will have most of the essentials you would need. Let me know if you make it and I will sail out and buy you a Buffalo burger (if you're not vegan or something like it.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 08:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Killam View Post
Cat Harbor on the back side of Catalina is a very protected harbor with a good anchorage (free) or this time of year it has moorings for about 35 a night for your boat but if you buy two nights you get five free. The front side of the island also has that deal but the anchorage part can get crowded. There is a bar and a small store that will have most of the essentials you would need. Let me know if you make it and I will sail out and buy you a Buffalo burger (if you're not vegan or something like it.
Only a Buffalo Burger? What about a Buffalo Milk?
Old 20-04-2015, 08:48   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide

Someone mentioned anchoring troubles at San Simeon. I have anchored there many, many times and only once did the anchor line get snagged on something below. It came loose without too much work. San Simeon is a beautiful place and I often see cruisers there so don't miss it.
EveningTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 09:10   #12

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Hey old frog. I 'm buying the burgers you're buying the buffalo milks. I just got back yesterday and you're getting the cheaper end of the deal.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 09:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Killam View Post
Hey old frog. I 'm buying the burgers you're buying the buffalo milks. I just got back yesterday and you're getting the cheaper end of the deal.
Sounds like a plan...
Old 20-04-2015, 09:42   #14

Boat: Catalina 387

Dang... Now I want a buffalo milk.... Not going over till May...

Dana Point has a small ancorage that's usually pretty quiet. Guest slips too. Although heading south, you'd not go near Dana Point, as you should go via Catalina.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 09:46   #15

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

There's a nice anchorage in the lee of Island White in Long Beach/San Pedro Bay.

Alamitos Bay is under construction, they probably don't have slips available, but you might be able to get one in Shoreline, although they are pretty full of boats temp relocated from AB.

We're heading south to MX this year with the ha-ha.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california