Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2011, 05:27   #1

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
A Broadcast Email from Norwalk Cove Marina

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I thought I would post my email response to a broadcast email I received from Norwalk Cove Marina regarding new taxes on the boating public proposed by the State of Connecticut:

I read with interest and sympathy your broadcast email about the proposal for new taxes in CT. It is certainly a policy that none of us would like to see come to fruition.

I read with particular interest your statement, " Depicted by tax advocates as “rich yachties” and “elitists”, CT boaters are wrongly portrayed and are being targeted as a new source of revenue. As we all know, the vast majority of boats in CT are owned and operated by hard working, middle class families..."

Your characterization of boat owners seems appropriate, as is your righteous indignation at being targeted as "rich yachties and elitists." But there is a truth in there that you folks at Norwalk Cove Marina should not just protest about but take to heart.

In August of 2009, I was towed to your repair dock, due to the loss of the fresh water pump on the diesel engine of my 1990 Ericson 32. The RETAIL (yes, RETAIL) price of the pump was $151.00 from your source. The process of replacing the pump took less than an hour. You charged me over $600 for the repair.

I ask you to examine your own policies in light of what you rightfully recognize is an inappropriate and injurious proposal by the State to gouge boat owners. I believe that you at Norwalk Cove should "walk the walk" if you're going to "talk the talk," and not just raise your voices in a somewhat hypocritical protest, because it's convenient to your argument. Moreover, based on my experience with your marina, your assumption of the role of spokespersons or protectors of the "hard working, middle class families" rings false.

If you argue for honesty and fair treatment, you should practice it yourselves. You weren't able to in my case.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 05:40   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
thanks for the warning about Norwalk Cove Marina.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 07:52   #3

I wouldn't have posted it if they weren't all of a sudden portraying themselves as the champions of fair financial treatment for boat owners.
Old 19-02-2011, 11:06   #4

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
So what are these new taxes proposed by the State of Connecticut on boats?
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 11:58   #5

From the body of the Norwalk email:

This is what’s happening: The "rich boater" mystique that the legislature and new administration have conjured up to describe the average CT boater, has incited a call to consider dropping existing boating industry sales tax exemptions in order to increase revenue. The boating industry in Connecticut has been given exemptions over the years to allow fairer competition with neighboring states such as Rhode Island, who, by the way, enjoys a tax-free environment. Presently, there is no CT sales tax on winter storage fees, wet or dry. There is also no CT sales tax on repair or maintenance labor charges. Connecticut assesses a tax on materials but not on labor. All this will change, making it more expensive to get work done and to operate a vessel in Connecticut...if the legislature and Governor Malloy have their way.
Old 20-02-2011, 10:09   #6

Thank you to admin for finding a different category for my post. Shouldn't it be under "Marinas," though, instead of in "Dollars & Cents"?

Just asking.
Old 20-02-2011, 10:22   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
Thank you to admin for finding a different category for my post. Shouldn't it be under "Marinas," though, instead of in "Dollars & Cents"?

Just asking.
Ask, and you shall receive . . .

TaoJones
Old 20-02-2011, 12:48   #8
cruiser

Norwalk Cove Marina, Inc:
3 reviews averaging 5 out of 5 stars. Any business can make mistakes and occasionally treat customers wrong but I have a feeling that Norwalk Cove generally does a pretty good job.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 13:02   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Lessee...
"over $600 for the repair."
Less dockage at the repair dock, let's say...$5/foot/day to dock a boat in that area?
$600-150=$450. Less the pump, $450-150=$300.

So no matter how you slice it, the labor price was $300 an hour?! Or is this like auto repairs, where the rube pays either "book" price or actual time, whichever is greater,and there's a $300 book price for the repair?

It would be nice to hear the marina's side of things, but damn, that sounds steep no matter how you slice it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote