Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-12-2007, 12:40   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
No I meant the Internet Spam, not the tinned stuff.
Although, I didn't know the eadible spam was actually meat. I probably had Spinich in the back of my mind.Do we get something similar here in NZ Grant?? Like tinned corned beef or something??
Because nobody wants to eat the stuff...other than some people from Hawaii, where its considered a cultural delicacy.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 21:15   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
My ISP recently did a massive server and software upgrade and now I get maybe 1 a week when previously 10-15 day.
You have to watch those Email filters thought Gmac. They not only filter out the spam, but also Emails that just look similar. So if someone said to you they sent an email and you didn't get it, chances are it is in the ISP's trash bin waiting for you to check them. Xtra has a real problem with that happening. And all the binned emails are stored waiting for viewing and deletion if needed.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 22:58   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: R930
Yes I've considered that one Mr Wheels. I have had the very odd person who said they had emailed but next to none really. One who says he sends emails we don't get actually doesn't send them. His office lady found 100's of his emails sitting in his 'drafts' folder. He has a slight technology issue she says, like he shouldn't be allowed near any .

Then again there could be a trash folder somewhere with 100's of 'why don't you answer my email' emails

I'm not with xtra so the upgrade happened without us knowing, which was nice. The drama some of those people have had sounds nasty. I'm plugged directly into some new Telstra fibre optics, always going and very fast. Those boobie... Opps.. boat photos load very quick
Old 15-12-2007, 23:41   #19

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I have a telecom email address and a domainz.net one for my business. The telecom one gets very few spams. The domainz one that costs me a fortune (they host my website) gets at least 80 spams per day. Luckily outlook catches them and puts them in a junk folder and when it gets to a few hundred I delete them.
Old 16-12-2007, 15:06   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
where its considered a cultural delicacy.
You can include the Philippines to that list.

I've been at the airport wanting in line for flights to PI & having to watch a PI lady dump out her suit cases because they were too heavy for baggage. And out rolled nothing but cans for spam.

And that wasn't the last of it. My wife wanted to haul some once and I had to lay down the law, stating that we were not in import business.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 04:05   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Your anti spam blocks reports from 2 minutes:

Quote:
This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between reporting posts. Please try again in 37 seconds.
I have 5 posts to report and it want me to spread them over 10 minutes. Can you change that option please

Mark
Old 21-12-2007, 09:05   #22
Senior Cruiser

Mark - no we can't - PM sent to you explaining that you only need to report one post of a particular spammer - we'll find the rest.
Old 21-12-2007, 09:08   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

GMac-
Much as I hate the concept of white-listing email (especially if that has to happen on my own computer) I've found great value in using a free white-listing email service, available from Bluebottle Spam-Free Email Accounts: POP3, IMAP & Webmail

They have free accounts and paid accounts, and I've gotten pretty good service from them. Whenever I need to give an email address someplace that might be spam-generating or spam-harvested, I use the Bluebottle account and no spam gets past it. It just can't.

As for the Spam in Hawaii...We all know the locals just make a big thing out of worshipping Spam, to scare away the white men from the mainland. THEN they feed it all to the volcano gods. Spam, the food of at least two uses.[g]
Old 21-12-2007, 20:18   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
So here's a funny paradox...

In order to cut down on spammers registering on the forum we have a 2 part registration.

1. You register.
2. We send you an activation e-mail with a link you must click on to finish the activation process.

This stops automated spam bots from registering. We still get spam - but they have to be real (determined) people. We have cut spam down immeasurably by doing this.

But..

When new registering members with white listing services register, their activation e-mail goes to their spam box and their service sends our server a note that says "click here" if your a real person and want "mr. new member" to respond.

Our server doesn't/can't do this because it's a machine and can't determine spam from real mail so and Mr "new member" never gets registered here or sends us hate mail saying we ignored their registration.

Cyberspace is a strange place.
Old 27-12-2007, 18:37   #25

Boat: Matsu, Columbia 34
Send a message via Skype™ to hallie
hmm. yes it is, it is indeed.

it puts me in mind of strange recordings i've gotten on my voicemail, which was itself picking up the recorded messages from political campaigners, my library (telling me my holds were ready to be picked up), and misguided bill collectors who associated my number with someone who hadn't had it for years. the machines now talk to each other; they don't need us anymore.

people who have been on the internet in the last two years have to know that spam is a huge problem, and that legitimate emails don't get through. all the spamhater clubs i've belonged to remind me to check my spam box for legitimate emails once a week or so or expect some things to go missing. it's not your fault if people who want to come on here are not considering this possibility. and if they aren't, are they really savvy enough to participate in this community?

i have to laugh at my own, very recent, registration, though - i read the terms and conditions very carefully as requested, and learned (early on; in the first few paragraphs) that this is a community that exists to worship the mighty airstream trailers and their proud owners. hahahha! and i thought we were here to talk cruising! what did i know?

i signed up anyway and haven't seen word one about airstream trailers, but i'll talk trailers anytime; i love airstreams.

when people lost sight of the way to live came codes of love and honesty
~Lao Tsu

life is dangerous and always ends in death.
hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 19:22   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallie View Post
i have to laugh at my own, very recent, registration, though - i read the terms and conditions very carefully as requested, and learned (early on; in the first few paragraphs) that this is a community that exists to worship the mighty airstream trailers and their proud owners. hahahha! and i thought we were here to talk cruising! what did i know?

i signed up anyway and haven't seen word one about airstream trailers, but i'll talk trailers anytime; i love airstreams.
Haha - I can fix that and thanks for the heads up. The same fellow who oversees this forum also has an airstream forum.
Old 27-12-2007, 21:39   #27

Boat: Privilege 39
I'd bet money that hallie is the first and only person ever to actually read through the TOS...
Old 27-12-2007, 22:04   #28

Boat: Matsu, Columbia 34
Send a message via Skype™ to hallie
*sheepish grin*
i probably wouldn't have, actually... it was the word 'airstream' that caught my eye!

when people lost sight of the way to live came codes of love and honesty
~Lao Tsu

life is dangerous and always ends in death.
hallie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: