Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum News & Announcements
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2006, 09:48   #76

Boat: Lancer 36 at Mission Bay, San Diego
everything is screwed up! Can't get past logging in

except for this one time. can't go any further, I get a "done" but have a blank screen. have rebooted several times. can go to other forums fine
WindDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 17:42   #77

Boat: currently "on the beach"
I changed my bookmark and I can now skip directly to the new posts on the discussion board, sidestep the ads, and sign in if there are new posts of interest. I think this is the homepage Wheels is using. I found before that if I did not sign in on the Home Page portal and then found a thread where I might have worthwhile input, I had to go back to square one. I wonder if this new software can allow someone to sign in when they decide to post with a memorized password. I cannot get it to do so, but that means little.

As to those missing, if you don't miss 'em, then no worries. There are many posting here that are seen more often on "the other 2", so believe me when I tell you, the Forum needs to hold onto the old salts or turn into another flame and dribble site.

Again, I think the challenge for you, Andy, is to find that balance where you can make this a reasonable financial endeavour without burying those that contribute in promotion. It may not be the best business plan, but the board with the highest level of knowledge and least amount of flames will be where I contribute. Happily, this board avoids the flames most of the time. I hope you can hold down the ads. It appears to me you have already made some adjustments. I still think the "Take Me To The Discussion Board....banner could be scaled down or deleted. It doesn't seem to take me anywhere that I can't get to easily anyway.

Hey Kai - I don't drive a tractor and I'm not that old. I honestly believe we need to complain about ads. They are everywhere, all the time, so abundant that no one reads 'em, but apparently this mass assault works on our ever softening brains. Maybe it's "just business" but I own a business and do the marketing. Subtle and sophisticated works on the monied folks, not beat 'em with a pipe until they sign. Call it marketing etiquette. You want bigger fish, use better bait. Focus on quality, the "feel" of the site, not numbers, and the numbers will follow.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 20:38   #78
Kai Nui

Larry, the analogy was not really meant to be user specific, but it is the best I could do on short notice
Old 19-05-2006, 08:44   #79

Sorry - Out of the habit of using those smile things. I assume you know I am smiling when I poke your ribs. Larry

Old 19-05-2006, 18:48   #80

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Been away for seven months, takes some getting used to. Still remember the old format fondly.
Old 19-05-2006, 20:15   #81
Kai Nui

Still waiting for that "tongue in cheek" smiley. Don't worry Larry , I knew what ya meant
Vasco, you HAVE been conspicuously absent. The new features will take a little fooling around to get used to, but when you figure them out, the site works much faster than it used to.
Old 19-05-2006, 23:30   #82

Speak for yourself Kai.

I am still running into problems with some of the so-called upgrades.

I liked the old site set up better, IMHO!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 01:12   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
C'mon K, drag yourself into the next century mate. We've all been here waiting for you to catch up

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 07:00   #84

Kai, no time to surf while cruising

Been away since November. Most of my internet connections were "borrowed" from unsecured wireless routers while anchored. Good enough for sending email but that was all. Occasionally used pay spots in the Bahamas but they weren't the best and if one user was on Skype it slowed down to unusable. Back home now until next November.
Old 20-05-2006, 07:12   #85
Kai Nui

Vasco, Best of all reasons to be MIA
K, your opinion is duely noted.
Old 20-05-2006, 07:17   #86

Stop the email !!

How do I get this board to stop sending me emails every time someone posts to a thread that I posted to. Have tried all the no email stuff in options but still am getting email.
Old 20-05-2006, 07:21   #87
Kai Nui

Vasco, there is an explanation somewhere here, but I have not found it yet. Bottom line is go to the user profile page.Choose "edit options". Select do not subscribe to threads .
This will stop the emails.
Old 20-05-2006, 09:11   #88

Yeah Kai.

I've been so duly noted so many times. I might have a book version of me written about how many times I've been duly noted?

But, I still like the old site version of software, over this one any day!! And that's my humble opinion, til the day I die of old age!!

Alan.

Ha Ha Ha.

I have moced into this century. But, me and computers.....well I am always working on that everyday.

I still believe that I was born 100 years too late. I loved the good ole days, better than these days. That's just my humble opinion!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 18:22   #89

OK Kai -

Vasco - Hey Rick, Welcome back. Were you in the Abacos or the Exumas ?

Larry

Old 22-05-2006, 10:54   #90

Thanks capt lar

Mostly in the Exumas, haven't been to the Abacos for the last two seasons, think I was last there in 02 or 03. It is becoming more like Miami so I skip it.