Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-05-2006, 02:39   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
You should see a drop down list labeled "image tools" just above and to the right of the image. If you pull that down you should see an option to delete your images...
No - not visual so I suppose you have achieved this by a pop-up - which I block cause I dont like adverts/viruses

A number of my photos seem to have disappeared again?

Old 10-05-2006, 08:38   #62

Boat: currently "on the beach"
For real sailors, the SSCA board is no frills, solid information. The SSCA is a separate org that provides a free BB. No ads.

The board that this site now most closely copies is Sailnet. I assume this has to do with the software being used. Sailnet is big, so if you plan to chase them for #'s - good luck. They also offer much more than the bulletin board with ship's store and all the rest. Additionally, their ads and links are SAILING related, not just anyone that will pay a buck to post an ad. This is, or was, a Cruiser's Forum, not a cell phone or Miata site. The SailNet banners are tighter. The ads are smaller and positioned off to the side so you do not have to scroll down or click to another page to see whats up.

At the time this site was sold, there was no option to keep it non commercial. If I had been asked, I would have opted to pay dues to keep the site commercial free. I pay dues to the SSCA specifically to help them operate the BB without ads. Membership is optional and nonmembers can post so they get the best of both. I'm not sure that this option, or something in between, would work for you, but a poll might be interesting.

My assumption is you, Andy, want to build this site up (meaning more hits) to increase it's commercial value. It's your site and you are running a business, so I have no problem with that. My point is, while you may be able to attract lots of new "members", if you lose those that have a real depth of knowledge of boats, not computers or websites, then you have lots of questions with a limited variety of educated opinions. What this site had was a lot of guys that knew a lot and disagreed often. It was this mix that gave us a special edge. All the tech stuff adds nothing to the quality of the content of the Forum.

If you go to SSCA or Sailnet you will find many of those that post here also posting there. You will also find those that used to post here.

In my opinion, the Forum needs a major downgrade back to a cleaner format where non techs can easily navigate and post. Lose the highlighted words and most of the rest of the slick stuff. We want to read whats up, not be dazzled by technical capabilities. Most of us have other things to do, so ease of popping in and checking new posts is key. Don't encourage people to post just for the sake of posting. Currently you have a huge "register now" banner that shows before a member chooses to sign in so they cannot quickly see whats up. Your priority should be existing members, not new registration. If someone wants to join, they can find the option if displayed as a single word on the banner. If you make it a pain in the ass to see whats being discussed, they and I click over to the other boards and see whats new over there. We know there was a "major upgrade" so we don't need to be told every time we come to the site. If someone is new, they don't care what it was like before. I suggest you remove that HUGE banner so folks can see today's news.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:46   #63
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot
No - not visual so I suppose you have achieved this by a pop-up - which I block cause I dont like adverts/viruses

A number of my photos seem to have disappeared again?
Can you let me know more about the photos that are missing. What were they? Where were they? Was it in the photo album or in the discussions themselves?

FWIW - No members will ever see pop-ups and no advert viruses will ever be served. Right now Google is the only ad agency advertising on the site and they try their best to target the ads. In protected areas (like your UserCP) they don't know what the pages are about (because they are protected) so they serve ring tone ads and other non-relevant stuff...
Old 10-05-2006, 13:11   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Cant remember exactly what they were, and doesnt really matter that much as I always retain the original, but sure there were about 4 more photos.

I managed to access the image tools when I expanded an individual picture. The need to go to "edit " picture as the first step in deletion is not exactly ergonomic, neither is the need to expand an individual picture to be able to access these tools.
Old 10-05-2006, 15:36   #65
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Cant remember exactly what they were, and doesnt really matter that much as I always retain the original, but sure there were about 4 more photos.
There were about 10 photos (mostly from March I think) that were corrupted in the server move/upgrade. They were showing up as red Xs, so I just deleted them. If you think those might have been yours, please re-upload. I appologize for the inconvience. At least it was a tine percentage of the 1,700 images were ported over...
Quote:
I managed to access the image tools when I expanded an individual picture. The need to go to "edit " picture as the first step in deletion is not exactly ergonomic, neither is the need to expand an individual picture to be able to access these tools.
I agree, I will send your feedback to the software vendor. There are a few extra clicks needed for various functions in that software...
Old 10-05-2006, 16:31   #66
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt lar
The board that this site now most closely copies is Sailnet. I assume this has to do with the software being used. Sailnet is big, so if you plan to chase them for #'s - good luck. They also offer much more than the bulletin board with ship's store and all the rest.

Additionally, their ads and links are SAILING related, not just anyone that will pay a buck to post an ad. This is, or was, a Cruiser's Forum, not a cell phone or Miata site. The SailNet banners are tighter. The ads are smaller and positioned off to the side so you do not have to scroll down or click to another page to see whats up.
I will look into ways of reducing the horizontal scrolling needed to access the info. Also, please note the value of the targeted ads on out site. For an example please see this discussion about Bilge Pump Discharges. It should show targeted ads. I will install some other tempalte stuff so the ads become more targeted and talk to Google about how we can reduce junky ads and get the quality of the ads to increase.
Quote:
At the time this site was sold, there was no option to keep it non commercial. If I had been asked, I would have opted to pay dues to keep the site commercial free. I pay dues to the SSCA specifically to help them operate the BB without ads. Membership is optional and nonmembers can post so they get the best of both. I'm not sure that this option, or something in between, would work for you, but a poll might be interesting.
This is something that I have thought of, to offer "upgrades" so people can have an ad free interface. We have a handful of other projects before that can be addressed.
Quote:
My assumption is you, Andy, want to build this site up (meaning more hits) to increase it's commercial value. It's your site and you are running a business, so I have no problem with that. My point is, while you may be able to attract lots of new "members", if you lose those that have a real depth of knowledge of boats, not computers or websites, then you have lots of questions with a limited variety of educated opinions. What this site had was a lot of guys that knew a lot and disagreed often. It was this mix that gave us a special edge. All the tech stuff adds nothing to the quality of the content of the Forum.
The discussions should be the same, if anything people can respond easier with a quick reply at the bottom of every page of the discussions. What tech stuff is making it harder?
Quote:
If you go to SSCA or Sailnet you will find many of those that post here also posting there. You will also find those that used to post here.
Are there certain people that just stopped posting here? Who are they? Why did they stop? If you let me know who they are (either here or via PM) maybe I can get them to share their feelings and guide CF to become a better place...
Quote:
In my opinion, the Forum needs a major downgrade back to a cleaner format where non techs can easily navigate and post. Lose the highlighted words and most of the rest of the slick stuff. We want to read whats up, not be dazzled by technical capabilities. Most of us have other things to do, so ease of popping in and checking new posts is key. Don't encourage people to post just for the sake of posting. Currently you have a huge "register now" banner that shows before a member chooses to sign in so they cannot quickly see whats up. Your priority should be existing members, not new registration. If someone wants to join, they can find the option if displayed as a single word on the banner. If you make it a pain in the ass to see whats being discussed, they and I click over to the other boards and see whats new over there. We know there was a "major upgrade" so we don't need to be told every time we come to the site. If someone is new, they don't care what it was like before. I suggest you remove that HUGE banner so folks can see today's news.
I am going to leave the huge banner there for a while longer becuase it is how people who have not been by the site in quite some time (ie Gisle himself has not been by since before the upgrade, March 25. Do you think he should not see the announcement because he has not been by recently).
Old 10-05-2006, 19:20   #67

Boat: currently "on the beach"
OK - Trying to respond in order...

I looked at the bilge pump post. First thing I saw was a banner that says "get rid of these ads.....register today...it's FREE". You are suggesting that the ads you put there will go away once they register with you. Not true... and why stick it in their face at all. People worth having will have something worth saying and they will not be pressured into membership. you can lose them with all the ads, but you will never win them by saying you will make the ads go away. Your intro plea says this is a friendly place, but for most of us these days, people selling stuff are not viewed as friends. There are 3 links to companies selling some type of pumps. These companies are there because they are the big hits on Google. Well, they can "pump" up their numbers to get that spot, and I would prefer to do my own pump selection with suppliers I know, or suppliers recommended by a member with no motive to sell stuff, not someone Google determines to be a good choice. That's another point...it is the sailors on this board that should have the first hand knowledge of a product and give advise based on their experience. Who you gonna ask...Gord or Google ?

Those that left will not spend the time to make this a better place. They did not like the change and they drifted. I can tell you that the issue of not being able to save a bookmark that takes you to today's posts without all the clutter is one primary problem. You have given up too much space to advertizers and some do not like it.

I think Gisle can find his way home without billboards. He is, after all, a sailor.

Its not a question of ease of response. It has to do with who makes the response. If you loose all the old salts, you loose the teachers. The discussion becomes shallow and the more interesting aspects of complex trade-offs never comes around. This is key to the debate of bigger being better. It does the board no good to recruit 5,000 newbies. It does do you some good, because you are counting heads, not knowledge. The Forum would be stronger with 500 new members with real experience. To attract that crowd, you have to show it to them, not ask them to build it for you. Don't get it wrong, I like to see our "sport" grow and welcome newbies, but like any classroom, the more experienced the average member, the higher the quality of the discusson and advice.

The ads are the problem. They have far too much space and they are on top of everything. With SSCA, you can save a bookmark that pops you right on the lists of active threads. Same with Sailnet. With the Forum, you have to click and scroll three times to get to the meat. Another thing I have been told, that is true for me as well, is we want to click on the site and see what's up without signing in. Look how many folks are signed in right now and how many are guests. Many of those guests are members, but they do not want to bother signing in. Many are truly guests and your ads and pressure to register will not, in my opinion, motivate them to register. It is a major turn off.

I am not on a crusade. I will get off my stump now and leave it to you to set your own course. My boat (remember boats, see link for photo) is in the water with upgrades ( there's that word again) and new sails (Google) due this week so I am going sailing (highlighted in green).

I do appreciate your serious reply, Andy. I think you are a good guy. I just don't think you understand sailors and especially those over, say, 45. Might say I think you missed the boat on this one. Oh - that's bad. Best of luck.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 20:01   #68
Kai Nui

THe common factor in both Talbot's and Capt Lars response seems to be the same as my concern. That is how intuitive the software is. For the old tractor guys, this is sort of like an old 50's John Deer, compared to running a Cat 992. The old JD had a number of levers and pedals, with mechanical linkages that you could feel when they engage. The Cat has a couple of joysticks that are electrically linked and have no feel for how the machine is running. The Cat is easier when you finally get used to it, but you heart is always with the old JD.
The things I like about the new format are: The quick reply is very convenient.
To return to the list of recent posts is two clicks away instead of having to bo back to the index page and then to the list from there.
The font change for threads that have been read is also very nice.
Overal, I think the new format is quite a bit faster, and I like that.
I do agree that the banner page should go away. I think the point has been made. The changes are obvious to anyone who has been here awhile.
Andy, I too realize this site is a business, and as with any business, the most important practice is to recognize the most valuable assets. The "Old Salts" are that asset. Without them, this would just be another in the huge list of forums.
As for the idea of dues, I am against it. Nuff said on that.
I would encourage any other of the members who have concerns, to post what you like and dislike about the new format. Andy has shown his willingness to make changes.
This is the first forum I have joined. Since, I have joined 3 others, but have never returned to the others This is clearly a special place, and I would never want to loose that. I have made some very good friends on this forum, and I would hate to loose that connection with such fantastic people.
So, I pose this question. Of all the changes, list one that you like, and one that you hate.
As I mentioned, the one I like is the Quick Reply.
The one I hate is the banner page.
Old 10-05-2006, 21:52   #69

My two cents.

I liked the forum the way it was before the month of April.

April.

The month that changed everything, on this forum.

It will never be the same again?

That's my two cents!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 22:00   #70
Kai Nui

K, nothing will ever be the same from one day to the next, but the uniqueness of this forum is in it's members, not it's software.
Old 10-05-2006, 22:01   #71

Kai. You're so right about that!!

Only the members can make this place better. Or worse!!:cubalibre

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 10-05-2006, 23:17   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I can't rerally understand whats the problem guys. Either something is drasticly wrong with my computer, or I simply don't see an issue with adds. I have above, three adds in the form of a few words Highlighted. I can chooose to click on one if I wish, or just ignore and they aren't in the way at anytime. so what's up?? and I missing something?? And if I am, then is there something that can be turned on and off that hides the adds???

OK, now who exactly is missing?? I don't know of anyone that has diapeared from here, due to the software change. A few had gone well and truely before Andy cam along. Hmmm, I change my socks and use underarm, so I don't think it's me.
I love the new features, it took a little learning, but I soon picked up the new abilities and find them real cool.

And I really have to say, there is one major thing I really REALLY REALLY like about here. It's you guys. Just as Kai has said. It's the people here that make this place special. I have got to know many as names on here, some better than others, and I hope to meet a lot of you all one day on our travels, whether they be my travels or yours. My place has an open door to cruisers from here and beware, one day I might knock on yours.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 23:37   #73

Would love to meet ya Alan.

In either way. Whether it was you cruising my way. Or me cruising you're way. Would love to chat and drink cold beer with ya!!

Old 10-05-2006, 23:41   #74
Kai Nui

The liquor locker is always stocked I agree about the new format in general, but I have heard a number of member rumbles about the above issues. Nothing that can not be solved. We just need to hear input. As I mentioned, the ads do not bother me, however I did run across one that was a problem. I have not had it repeat in the past couple of weeks, so it may be gone.
Old 11-05-2006, 00:18   #75
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for voicing your opinion capt lar. I have been thinking about this a lot today and will keep thinking about it until I have a solution. I have some interesting ideas brewing and just need some time to refine them...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: