Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum News & Announcements
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2008, 14:16   #1
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Notice: Community Rules Updated

Cruisers Forum Members:

We have updated our Community Rules and wanted to make you aware of the changes. Three statements have been added and are quoted here for easy review.
Quote:
Friends don't always agree on everything or even on most things. They can agree to disagree. When that happens, they try to keep their discussions logical and free from name calling and so forth, or more often they just spend their time on other topics. They don't take every opportunity to express their disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, and fan flames. When they are incapable of avoiding this sort of thing, they become much more disruptive than welcome.

Most of us, while we welcome perspectives on all sides of any issue, would not invite a frequently and apparently intentionally disruptive or rude person to a gathering of friends at our homes, nor to any other gathering of friends that they are hosting.
Quote:
At times the moderation team will pull a post (or thread) out of the view of the general membership to discuss issues, arguments, or other concerns that might be going on in that discussion. When this happens please do NOT start another thread asking why the original post/thread was pulled the moderation team will either return the post/thread or communicate with the members involved about it being removed permanently and why.
Quote:
Official Warnings and 3 Strikes System:
Our moderation team takes every effort to make sure members are aware of our rules before issuing an Official Warning or a Strike. It is customary (but not required) for the moderation team to send a Private Message (PM) to the member informing them of our rules and asking them to adhere to them in their ongoing participation.

Once we know the member is aware of our Community Rules and we see that he/she has violated them, we will issue an Official Warning. Following the Official Warning we use a 3 Strikes and you are out policy. If the member continues to violate our Community Rules we will give them a Strike for each violation and on the third Strike you will be banned. It is up to the moderation team to decide if this is a temporary ban and you will be given the opportunity to come back on probation or if this will be a permanent ban.
Our team has been having many discussions about how to best manage the discussions that are turning sour. We will be working hard to make sure our community rules are adhered to and enforced fairly. We ask that all of our members try to work with us and not let certain differences of opinions become so heated that they bring the spirit of the community down.

You can get to our Community Rules at the bottom of every page by click on the link that says "Community Rules". Here is a link for easy access right now.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 14:28   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Andy R, Gord, Wheels, et al,

Thank you for all of your efforts to make this forum available, open and generally productive. The resources of the moderators and the participants make possible a sharing of diverse knowledge, and spirited discussion. There will always be those who haven't developed the self control or humility of maturity, so we rely on you folks to temper the debate, steer away from impending disasterous collisions, and on occasion, act parentally and send an offender to the chair in the corner to reconsider their actions and the consequences on others. We should probably double your current wages, or at least give you profound attaboys.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 14:34   #3

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Sounds reasonable.

I also thank you for making the community such a great place.
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 16:05   #4

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Official Warnings and 3 Strikes System
I am not quite sure but, I might have 1 strike. But I do no I have 2 balls
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 17:00   #5
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
I am not quite sure but, I might have 1 strike. But I do no I have 2 balls
Actually Morgan, I don't see that you have any strikes in the system. I hope that doesn't mean your balls are missing too? (just kidding of course)
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 19:34   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
We ask that all of our members try to work with us and not let certain differences of opinions become so heated that they bring the spirit of the community down.
Hear, hear!

(Can I get a Harumph?
harumph,harumph,harumph
I didn't get a harumph outta that guy.
Give the governor a harumph.
harumph.
You better watch your ass)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 20:18   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I must admit Andy to never having read the Community Rules (Bottom right hand corner) until now.

They make perfect sense, are well phrased and in keeping with the spirit apparent in this great Forum.

Congratulations to the authors….. and I will endeavour to keep my toes (and balls) outside the door so that they don’t get stepped on!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 23:56   #8

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I have to concure with Pelagic. Never looked at the rules before. I am a man. Directions are only read after everything else has failed. LOL Kidding aside you guys ( moderators ) are doing a great job.
Old 15-06-2008, 02:47   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Some other forums have an indicator bar (under the Avatar / name) of how close members are to being banned. So I am told

Only visible to the member, otherwise if others know someone is on 90% they can start baiting (usually to get there they upset a few folk along the way). So I am told

The idea being that it is a constant (albeit subtle) reminder to post with some thought - and of course it can get lowered over time.

On the new rules / clarification, seems all very reasonable to me. As someone else who has not fully () read the rules might be worthwhile including something about using PM's nicely......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 06:45   #10

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
I have to admit also that I have never read through th e community rules either. I probably should.
What I like about this forum is the friendly atmosphere here. If this forum didn't have the moderators that work at keeping it straight and friendly, I doubt that I would give this forum a second visit. I have seen other forums that were largely unmoderated. I don't return to those forums,
Thanks guys for doing a great job here. That means admins, moderators and members.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 07:27   #11
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Stupid Signs

IF the rules are reasonable, AND a person has a reasonable amount of common courtesy, them they probably don't have to read the rules to stay out of trouble. So, if you haven't read the rules, and you haven't gotten in trouble, then you probably have a reasonable amount of common courtesy.

I did read the rules, and I thought they were all based on common sense. That is, I read the rules after my very first post was pulled. Ah, so no rants allowed. Not exactly a common rule in forums, but turns out to be common sense once I got familiar with the tone of the forum.

Most rules about behavior should not be needed. I call them "stupid signs". Came from noting street signs like where a turn lane has no balk line, has a solid white line to the left, and no sign at all. This means it is a lane by itself and the traffic light doesn't apply to that lane. You just keep going. But in some places there is a "Keep Moving" sign. This is a "stupid sign". It is for intersections where so many idiots don't know the law that they impede traffic flow, so they put up the "stupid sign" to tell them to just go. It's for the people that haven't taken the time to analyze how traffic moves and what the various lines on the road mean. I had figured out most of it myself before I ever started driving by just watching and analyzing my surroundings while I was riding with my parents.

Most of the rules for this forum are "stupid signs". They are there for people who haven't spent enough time analyzing life to understand the simple law of "Love Your Enemy". How to treat other people reasonably.

A well crafted set of forum rules, when read by a considerate person, will all elicit responses like "of course", "that's obvious", etc.

So, Andy. And all the mods. Once again, thanks for running the most well behaved forum I've ever been in.

But, I'll say, that having to spell out a 3-strike rule shows that even the stupid signs are not enough. Sad.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 09:58   #12

Boat: Irwin sloop
the changes are logical and reasonable. thank you for a great forum.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote