Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:33   #76

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Ahoy Newbies - Ever read the book 'Three Years Before The Mast'? Hope your voyage as Mods will be less ardorous than that - . Knottybuoyz - you've been there before so only insanity would compell you to do another stint.

Seriously congrats to all and many thanks for your help in making this the best boating site out there.

Fair winds (and words!),

Randy

Old 23-03-2008, 13:35   #77
cruiser

Thread that went down the gurgler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Sean - Your anchoring style looks just like mine so that's at least 2 of us who don't power set or think it's needed every time. As much as I think I could be in love with you due to this I'm sorry but Littleboat's short boat short handed just does push my buttons more

Awww... that's sad. Guess I'll have to go for the guy who was anchored next to me today in a 35 (ish) Sea Ray. He looked like a Brazillian soccer player / Antonio Banderez guy with a tight little set of shorts that were way too short. He was dancing on his foredeck for his "guests" (a couple of other guys ), singing at the top of his lungs and flipping his long hair around to CHER!! ha ha

Words can barely even describe!!! Miami is certainly a trip... ha ha

Old 23-03-2008, 15:12   #78
Kai Nui

OK, first, I own a multihull, and am an admin.
Second, Little boat, you have my greatest respect and admiration. The right size boat is the one that fits you.
Finally, what was this thread about? I am thinking we might want to venture back there?

Old 23-03-2008, 17:57   #79
Obsfucator, Second Class

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Yes, we should venture back there.

But because I certainly don't want to start a thread about conflict, I'll mention one more thing (and feel free to delete this post since it's off-topic)

I try to just ignore the posts like that. The ones that slightly offend me are the ones that lump all stickpots into one group. I totally agree that most of the jerks and idiots out there have power boats because it doesn't seem to require special talents. But there are actually many of us who try to be good seamen. So far I have managed to let all posts like that just go by, and I intend to continue.

I understand, though, that the mono-multi thing is different. If I said something about the stinkpot posts I'm sure people would come back and say they really didn't mean me, just almost all the rest. Whereas the mono-multi stuff gets heated and sometimes personal. But the people who respond to that irrationally just add fuel to the fire. Use "Love Your Enemy" and re-read their post before replying. And try to interpret their comments in the absolute best light you can. And then give them even a little more leeway. Respond kindly. It goes a long way.

-dan
Old 23-03-2008, 18:25   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: R930
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Use "Love Your Enemy" and re-read their post before replying. And try to interpret their comments in the absolute best light you can. And then give them even a little more leeway. Respond kindly. It goes a long way.
-dan
A very well said comment to finally end the thread drift Dan.

Now back to how wonderfully well us newbie Mods have been at not collapsing the interweb.......so far
Old 23-03-2008, 18:38   #81
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Rick, I got your email, thanks for voicing your opinion. Regarding the % of the moderators who own mono vs multi hull, I don't have that statistic for you. We did not use the type of boat owned as a criteria when looking for new moderators to join the team. Your point has been noted and we might consider that as a factor the next time we look to expand the team. In the meantime please understand that our team works very hard to keep the peace here. Sometimes threads have to be closed before they get of control and that has nothing to do if they are mono or multi hull threads. There is no conspiracy going on...
Thanks Andy, that's all I'm asking. I'm copying my response to HUD3's PM to your PM now.
Old 23-03-2008, 18:56   #82
Obsfucator, Second Class

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Now back to how wonderfully well us newbie Mods have been at not collapsing the interweb.......so far
Don't despair. I have faith. You have plenty of time.
Old 23-03-2008, 19:40   #83

MR Gmac I want to see a pic of the BRB.......I am begining to wonder if its not just somthing made up on the internet.....
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jellybean-hand2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	3074
Old 23-03-2008, 21:27   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: R930
Nothing that easy, sorry cooper.

As we are in training there is a rigid list of steps we must go through before we get to push it. It's just to make sure we don't go bad on anyone by pushing just because we don't like the colour of their squabs (for the ladies) or the type of beer they drink (for the blokes).

Shhh..... don't tell anyone I showed you but it's here Big Red Button
Old 24-03-2008, 18:47   #85
cruiser

Well, so much for the myth about Cruisers Forum moderators being unbiased toward Multihulls.
Old 24-03-2008, 18:59   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Rick,

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I think if you re-read my posts you'll see that I have tried to be reasoned and generous to the other side in my approach. I didn't include the second part of the quote because it wasn't germaine to my point, which was that this was "not a smoking gun." What I did quote in that paragraph, however, directly contradicted your statement that "All mono hulls caught in the center of the storm were rolled and dismasted no matter what course of action the crew took." That apparently was not the case.

In any case, the part of the quote I did not include only suggests that the authors were "somewhat" influenced by their reporting to build a cat (and keep the mono! ) - frankly, that doesn't seem like a bombshell that was omitted there.

I'd like to thank you for pointing out the whole Queen's Birthday storm saga and to some links - I didn't know much about it and your posts prompted me to look it up. Having myself experienced survival conditions once, I find it an interesting exercise to try to dissect the details.
Old 24-03-2008, 19:12   #87
cruiser

I believe this further illustrates that more balance is sorely needed in the forum
Old 24-03-2008, 20:21   #88
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I think you should look up polemicist.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 24-03-2008, 20:49   #89
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think you should look up polemicist.
I think that anyone who infers that monohulls are "beyond reproach" should get out more.
Old 24-03-2008, 20:58   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Thread closed. We have done our very best to address concerns raised in this thread, but continued negative posts are counter productive and in direct opposition to the intent and nature of our community. Our site staff are volunteers and work hard to do a good job. Participation as a member here is voluntary as well. The Cruisers Forum is a great community and there are plenty of other topics to read. Please find one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: