Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2010, 05:59   #1
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Cruisers Wiki Partnership

I just wanted to let everyone know that we have partnered with CruisersWiki.org to help support the Open Source project. To access Cruisers Wiki just click on the wiki link at the top of every page. If you would like to give back to the Cruising community please consider joining and contributing some knowledge from your sailing experiences.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cruiserwiki.png
Views:	818
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	20411

Here is an overview of what the Cruisers Wiki is all about:
Quote:
The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki (an online world cruising guide) has been established so that all cruisers around the world can have free access to as much information on cruising around the world as possible with information on Countries, Immigration and Customs procedures, world ports, navigation and approaches, marinas, anchorages, ocean passages, maritime warnings, boating tips, etc. A FREE, ONLINE WORLD CRUISING GUIDE!
This Cruising and Sailing Wiki is a resource to which all cruisers are encouraged to freely contribute and thereby help to build a great reference resource for the benefit of all cruisers that are sailing around the world.
  • The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki's objectives:-
    • To provide all cruisers with a one-stop interactive resource which members can annotate, correct and add to.
    • To provide the most current information regarding cruising destinations, boating information and marine news.
    • To provide information that is based on recent factual experience, information and news that is continually updated.
    • To provide information that is easily understood and if possible, is supported by images and graphics.
SINK YOUR TEETH INTO A SECTION AND BUILD IT!
To be able to contribute, Login or Register (top right hand side of page)
You can see examples of some of the outstanding articles which have been written by other cruisers at these links: Mediterranean - Greece - Turkey - Caribbean - (Barbados - St Lucia - Martinique) - South Africa - Chile - Portugal - (Madeira) - Gibraltar - Cruising Narratives - Fiji

On the left hand side of every page you will find various links to help you get to the information you are looking for. A great one to bookmark is the Full Contents page (link) which is an index of all the pages and will help you get to the right section of the wiki.

As part of the partnership with Cruisers Wiki you will find a link back to relevant discussions here on Cruisers Forum from each article.

Click image for larger version

Name:	links to <a title=forums.png Views: 730 Size: 6.2 KB ID: 20412" style="margin: 2px" />

Please link to the wiki articles from your posts here on Cruisers Forum when someone is asking for information on a destination or other article which is available on the wiki. You can also use excerpts from the wiki in your posts here but make sure you credit the wiki with a link back to the page.

Special thanks goes out to Bob Hobbes and the crew over at Cruisers Log who gave birth to this project. They have contributed thousands of hours to get the wiki setup and submitted hundreds of articles. It's time for us to join on them on this project and contribute our knowledge as well.

Together we can build the ultimate up-to-date cruising guide that will allow sailors all over the world to share and access knowledge gained by their peers.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 06:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Super!!!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 06:28   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
now all that is left to do is incorporate the data from the wiki to openCPN and we have the ultimate knowledge base
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 06:44   #4
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
now all that is left to do is incorporate the data from the wiki to openCPN and we have the ultimate knowledge base
The ironic thing is that I just sent Dave an email with the exact same idea. That would be a really great integration IMO.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 10:49   #5
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
A really good idea!
Old 19-01-2011, 02:43   #6
Bob

Bring out that hidden "Cruising Guide Writer" in you.

Go through the WORLD Cruising Wiki CONTENTS page and identify a section/s that you can add or edit/update and be part of the collaboration of world cruisers building this amazing, free, online resource. (even correcting grammar and spelling is a great help). Add what you can to assist cruisers who will follow in your wake.

Take a look at the GREECE section to see an example of how to build a useful page/section. The Cruising Wiki already has over 7,500 pages.

The World Cruising Wiki contains not only a world cruising guide but also technical and information pages of interest to world cruisers (more always added). (Wiki contents)

Grab a page and build it! (Warning: Once you get used to editing the Wiki it becomes addictive.)
Old 19-01-2011, 03:13   #7

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
This is a brilliant initiative. A huge 'thanks' to all involved.
Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 03:13   #8
Mav

Boat: Silverton, 360 Express, 38' Name pending
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Bring out that hidden "Cruising Guide Writer" in you.

Go through the WORLD Cruising Wiki CONTENTS page and identify a section/s that you can add or edit/update and be part of the collaboration of world cruisers building this amazing, free, online resource. (even correcting grammar and spelling is a great help). Add what you can to assist cruisers who will follow in your wake.

Take a look at the GREECE section to see an example of how to build a useful page/section. The Cruising Wiki already has over 7,500 pages.

The World Cruising Wiki contains not only a world cruising guide but also technical and information pages of interest to world cruisers (more always added). (Wiki contents)

Grab a page and build it! (Warning: Once you get used to editing the Wiki it becomes addictive.)
Okay I had a look but darned if I can figure out how to add content.
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 03:37   #9
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Okay I had a look but darned if I can figure out how to add content.
Register first - then spend a little time on the "help" pages (L/H menu). The more you use it the easier it gets.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 19-01-2011, 06:17   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Register first - then spend a little time on the "help" pages (L/H menu). The more you use it the easier it gets.

Thanks for the interest.
I had a look a while back, tried to Register and the site seemed to want a real name & address - no idea why and I have no idea who is behind the site. As I couldn't be bothered to make some details up I simply gave up .

That and it seems that if I became a page "owner" I wouldn't get anything for that time & effort - at the least I would expect a link, if not an advert

Ok, I appreciate that I have not fully got into the spirit of the sharing thing but for me there is a line between chipping in and getting treated like an (unpaid) skivvy

Apart from that I think it's a good idea
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 07:18   #11
Bob

I had a look a while back, tried to Register and the site seemed to want a real name & address - no idea why and I have no idea who is behind the site. As I couldn't be bothered to make some details up I simply gave up .
Real name is only optional. Correct email address is important as login details are emailed to the address supplied when registering on the site.

AndyR is "behind" the site.

That and it seems that if I became a page "owner" I wouldn't get anything for that time & effort - at the least I would expect a link, if not an advert
No-one "owns" a page. All members can edit any page. Links that add value to a section are accepted - provided that relative information is added to the section by the member wishing to add a link. i.e. Add the info to the Wiki section and not simply expect the Wiki to send readers to a 3rd party website to find that information.

Ok, I appreciate that I have not fully got into the spirit of the sharing thing but for me there is a line between chipping in and getting treated like an (unpaid) skivvy
I don't believe that any contributor feels like an "unpaid skivvy". Generally, in my experience, cruisers are very happy to share information (just as they do on forums such as this).

Apart from that I think it's a good idea
Thanks
Old 19-01-2011, 07:36   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Just had a look at Portugal and it seems well out of date.... eg; Cascais is listed as an anchorage with no fuel by hose when in fact there's an excellent marina there with all the facilities you could need including a travel lift....
Guess if I check out Spain I'll likely find the same... may just sign up and contribute... kills time between jobs...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 07:40   #13
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Just had a look at Portugal and it seems well out of date.... eg; Cascais is listed as an anchorage with no fuel by hose when in fact there's an excellent marina there with all the facilities you could need including a travel lift....
Guess if I check out Spain I'll likely find the same... may just sign up and contribute... kills time between jobs...
That is what it is about - sections can be updated by any member, 24/7. Well done!
Old 19-01-2011, 07:46   #14
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Just checked CASCAIS - has quite a bit of info. Where are you looking "boatman"?
Old 19-01-2011, 07:52   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Just checked CASCAIS - has quite a bit of info. Where are you looking "boatman"?
It was just a quick nose as far as this... damn it won't copy n paste....
It's the Coastal Cruising Routes on main page... Portugal - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising guides, wiki