Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 21:44   #1

World Passport?

Hi All,

I am in no way endorsing this, but am curious if anyone has heard of or used it?

Apparently this group is attempting to create a passport not based on a single nation's government. Interesting thing is they claim to be getting successful results from surprising countries.

Link: http://www.worldservice.org/docpass.html

Has anyone seen this before?

Andy
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 23:58   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: World Passport?

Interesting thought, I've heard of it now:
Quote:
Notable rejections

Many countries [including USA and Canada] and territories have stated that they do not recognize the World Passport because it is not issued by a competent government authority, and thus does not meet the definition of a passport. As a result, travelling on a World Passport has never been easy. By 1975, Garry Davis [the guy who runs this scam] had already been imprisoned 20 times for his attempts to cross international borders with nothing but a World Passport.[26] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Passport

Would be an interesting concept were it legal, though!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 00:13   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

This was around back when I was a teenager, 1960's, interesting, but useless, since vey few places will let you in with only this. in these terrorist fighting times, I suspect you have your ass thrown right back aboard the airplane if you tried to enter with this.

The sua requries an ESTA registratioin before even attemtping to come tot he us. I suspect they will not accept this "passport" in your ESTA application.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 01:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

there was a backpacker lodge/bar in the cape province,south africa during the 90's issuing "REPUBLIC OF HOUT BAY" passports,quite a few south african backpackers traveled all over europe on them!!!

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=rep...9,r:2,s:0,i:88

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=rep...r:20,s:0,i:148
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 01:42   #5

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Passport Website
No one has the right to tell you you can't move freely on your natural birthplace
Actually, they do.

I am very thankful that some individuals are not allowed to enter my country. Border control is important for the safety of all citizens.

There some strange people on this planet, and the people who thought up this world passport are strange also.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 05:57   #6

I'm old enough to remember when there were still people trying to get the entire world to adopt Esperanto as the universal language. This reminds me a bit of that... Nice idea, but rather naive and ultimately certain to fail.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 06:14   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I wish we had a USA cruising permit that could be purchased annually that allowed one to roam freely between all the coastal states without potentially incurring local sales, use, excise, or property taxes. As it is now, theoretically, you get anywhere from 30-90 days of reciprocity between states, and then you are supposed to re-register. Florida doesn't even grant any reciprocity unless your boat is state registered--if it is just documented, no reciprocity.
Old 18-02-2013, 06:25   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
As it is now, theoretically, you get anywhere from 30-90 days of reciprocity between states, and then you are supposed to re-register. Florida doesn't even grant any reciprocity unless your boat is state registered--if it is just documented, no reciprocity.
Now there is an issue.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 06:26   #9

Quote:
I wish we had a USA cruising permit that could be purchased annually that allowed one to roam freely between all the coastal states without potentially incurring local sales, use, excise, or property taxes. As it is now, theoretically, you get anywhere from 30-90 days of reciprocity between states, and then you are supposed to re-register. Florida doesn't even grant any reciprocity unless your boat is state registered--if it is just documented, no reciprocity.
Good point. We can't even get Full Faith and Credit enforced in the US.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 06:42   #10

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Good point. We can't even get Full Faith and Credit enforced in the US.
Not to get political, but it is unfortunate that coastal states don't see the advantages to allowing extended stays within their states without having to go through the hassle/expense of reregistering. For example, when I lived in South Carolina I knew of many big boats that would leave the state each year before some date when the local property tax, which was huge, kicked in. So, all the marine businesses lost that revenue from big boats moving away each year. Similarly, I don't spend as much, but I might be interested in keeping my boat in Maryland for a few years in order to cruise the Chesapeake, but I won't do so because I would have to pay the sales/use tax and reregister.
Old 18-02-2013, 06:50   #11

Quote:
Not to get political, but it is unfortunate that coastal states don't see the advantages to allowing extended stays within their states without having to go through the hassle/expense of reregistering. For example, when I lived in South Carolina I knew of many big boats that would leave the state each year before some date when the local property tax, which was huge, kicked in. So, all the marine businesses lost that revenue from big boats moving away each year. Similarly, I don't spend as much, but I might be interested in keeping my boat in Maryland for a few years in order to cruise the Chesapeake, but I won't do so because I would have to pay the sales/use tax and reregister.
Blowback is real.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 07:21   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

that and regularizing visa issues for foreign passport holders wanting to visit by yacht,many caribean cruisers would spend the summer on the east coast usa if it wasn't nearly impossible due to lack of embassies,waiting period and other hassels to get a full b1/b2 visa in the caribean.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 09:07   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

The "World Passport" idea (Scam!) has been around for decades. Probably not illegal to issue or to hold, just could be illegal depending on how used (i.e. if used to bluff way into a country that you are not entitled to be in, by Visa or by birth! - waving your way in may be fine, but in trouble if checked on the way out!). Downside is that of no use as a travel document!

Even having a passport from own country does not entitle you to (re) enter! - what gives you the right to re-enter is simply you being you. A passport (issued by home country) is just a handy way of evidencing that, and other countries will use that to decide whether to let you in (and for how long) based on home passport as an indicator that you will f#ck off back home!

IMO should save yer money - would be cheaper and more use to get a note from yer mum.....
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 09:24   #14

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The "World Passport" idea (Scam!) has been around for decades. Probably not illegal to issue or to hold, just could be illegal depending on how used (i.e. if used to bluff way into a country that you are not entitled to be in, by Visa or by birth! - waving your way in may be fine, but in trouble if checked on the way out!). Downside is that of no use as a travel document!

Even having a passport from own country does not entitle you to (re) enter! - what gives you the right to re-enter is simply you being you. A passport (issued by home country) is just a handy way of evidencing that, and other countries will use that to decide whether to let you in (and for how long) based on home passport as an indicator that you will f#ck off back home!

IMO should save yer money - would be cheaper and more use to get a note from yer mum.....
Business selling fake passports with some "human rights" bs excuse.
We got fake id's to get into bars when under 21. It is our human right!! The sellers of fake id's at least were honest they were not legal.
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 09:29   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Are there any countries that also accept Monopoly money?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote