Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2013, 22:05   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: World Passport?

Out of ordinary may or may not be perceived as a problem. It may just be entertainment for a bored uniform. I've yet to have a problem when someone asks me "Nature of your visit?" and I usually reply "Invasion and conquest" instead of "business" or "pleasure". (It helps if you are smiling when saying something like that. Or, smiling immediately after saying it.)

OTOH when they see a World Passport, they know either they've found an anarchist, or an outright nut job of some kind. No identity papers from a recognized sovereign state? Your day will get longer.

Out of the ordinary? Sure, any movie star crossing your desk is out of the ordinary. That's only a bad thing if it is Lindsay Lohan and she's wearing an ankle bracelet at the time.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 22:44   #32

This is just another scam, would you want people coming in to your country on this, who are they, where are they really from.
Old 23-02-2013, 22:49   #33

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
This is just another scam, would you want people coming in to your country on this, who are they, where are they really from.
I would like that.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 04:57   #34

It's not a scam, or at least, no more so than
the Beatles' Imagine, or Christianity or well,
a lot of ideas.

It makes me reflect upon how life is now, and how
it should be, or could be organized differently.
E.Newyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 10:55   #35
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Last time I crossed a border the customs officer asked "Is there anything on the boat you don't want me to know about?"..... the question has since given me a tickle.

As far as the World Passport (through the "World Servce Authoiy")being a scam it is legit and has been for 50 years and is recognized by quite a few countries that recognize it(150 at last count), there are possibly scams that are spin offs of that (like people who sell the Brooklyn Bridge or real estate on the moon). If someone wanted to travel for/to illegal purposes they would not attract attention to themselves. Though it might be accepted as a passport, you would still have all the same problems you mentioned earlier with any other passport. You may be considered a "citizen of the world" but that does not mean you will be treated as a citizen of the countries you are visiting....because you are visiting. Because of a treaty between the US and Canada tribal members in Canada can apply for a passport which effectively makes then a citizen of North America and allows passage between (more easily than citizens of the US or CA)nice
Old 24-02-2013, 11:11   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Take a close look at WSA's web pages. Four minor countries have, supposedly, issued official recognition of their passport. All the rest have only "accidentally" recognized the WSA by stamping an entry or exit in some passport.

Scam? Maybe not. Delusional fantasy might be a kinder term.
Old 24-02-2013, 11:31   #37

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

I'm not at all clear on why the location of my birth should define where I can live, work, and travel. I was born in Spain of German parents, raised and lived most of my life in the USA and am now in Panama. I can pretty much go where I want and do what I want and I cannot see any reason to deny anyone the same rights I myself enjoy. It truly disturbs me to know that the people of the world cannot travel freely as I can.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 12:10   #38
Eternal Member

Thumbs up Re: World Passport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
I'm not at all clear on why the location of my birth should define where I can live, work, and travel. I was born in Spain of German parents, raised and lived most of my life in the USA and am now in Panama. I can pretty much go where I want and do what I want and I cannot see any reason to deny anyone the same rights I myself enjoy. It truly disturbs me to know that the people of the world cannot travel freely as I can.
Old 24-02-2013, 12:14   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"It truly disturbs me to know that the people of the world cannot travel freely as I can. "
ROFL. With everything you mention you conveniently forgot to mention what sovereign grants you citizenship. Perhaps Spain, because you were born there? Perhaps Germany, as the child of German citizens?

You cannot and do not travel freely. You travel at the convenience and discretion of the 150-odd various sovereign states that claim boundaries on this planet. If most of them allow Spaniards, or Germans, or whatever you are, to enter their territories, good for you. The same regulation and control apply to EVERYONE on the planet and differences only arise when sovereigns take it into their minds to raise them.

Why? Because neither you nor they are a Sovereign, you're just a Subject, and that's the way it has been for a very long time. As if you don't know that.
Old 24-02-2013, 12:40   #40

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

I'm a citizen of the USA. When I enter another country I may or may not need a passport. If I decide to stay in almost any country I can fill out some paperwork and pay some nominal fees. I just renewed my 6 month visa for Panama by crossing into Costa Rica for thee hours. If I want to become a permanent resident of say Indonesia, the paperwork takes two months and costs about $200. Same for Brazil. It would please me if my friends here in Panama could travel and move to the USA with the same ease. They most certainly deserve the same rights I enjoy.
What was the norm in the past will have little to do with how we all develop in the 21st century with instant communication and increased travel, and I for one will welcome a mind set of one world and one people.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 12:45   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If you were born in Spain of German parents then perhaps you are a naturalized citizen of the US, as opposed to citizenship by right of birth. That would mean you invested some years into becoming a US citizen and your Panamanian friends could change their citizenship the same way you did. If they chose to.

One world, one set of rules? Yes, by all means, convince the Chinese or Iranians that they should simply go away instead of making the one set of rules. Ah, small problem there.

The devil lies in the details, as usual.
Old 24-02-2013, 13:03   #42
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
This is a problem all over the world for cruising boats... In Europe, the EU gives six months to cruise, then if you haven't left the EU (Not the country) you are subject to a VAT. Now that the EU is so big, there are less and less countries to sail to to avoid the VAT restriction impossed by the EU

Many other countries do a 90-365 day import permit then you are subject to tax.

The only one we have found so far that dosnt seem to care is Mexico, which gives a 10 Year Temporary Import Permit for your vessel.
This information regarding the Eu is of course, wrong , out of date and generally incorrect

you get 18 months on VAT, 90 days out of 180 on tourist visas ( or visa wavier) in the Schengen countries, ( all the EU , except Uk& Ireland)

dave
Old 24-02-2013, 13:06   #43
Nearly an old salt

why would any country allow complete freedom of movement in and out of its borders, thats only available to rich white people

Dave
Old 24-02-2013, 13:15   #44
Eternal Member

With the advent of "instant communication", data bases and the such it should allow for individuals to move more freely because the "powers that be" would have better knowledge of who is who and where they are...no reason to restrict movement "just to be on the safe side".
Old 24-02-2013, 13:40   #45
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
With the advent of "instant communication", data bases and the such it should allow for individuals to move more freely because the "powers that be" would have better knowledge of who is who and where they are...no reason to restrict movement "just to be on the safe side".
If youd seen 100s of people crowded into boats frantically trying to get to the Canaries from Aftrica, you'd understand why movement is restricted.

Passports are instruments rich countries use to keep others out.

dave