Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2018, 22:16   #16

Re: Why don't Cruisers Fly their National Flags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
I had a US flag that came with the boat, but never flew it. It seems to be a level of pride which I don’t have.

I don’t like labels nor do I care much for the separation of people which flags represent. And specifically the history... when I think about all the events and actions which took place in the name of the American flag I become quite saddened.

I much rather like people to approach me first as a human being on a boat, rather than an American... I image flying a flag would have the opposite effect.

austin
I can't identify with even one word of this, yet I appreciate your honesty. It's good to understand where people are coming from.
Old 18-10-2018, 22:25   #17

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes, from a European point of view it's a bit weird to see national flags all over the place, and particularly when we see images of American suburbs with their flags. In the UK it's illegal to fly the national flag, unless you're the Queen. If your vessel is registered then there's an ensign to fly in the daylight hours. In New Zealand you have a different ensign, but only if you're registered as a New Zealand ship, which is $1000+ for five years and so many boats don't bother. Owning a boat over here is like owning a pair of shoes -- there's no paperwork, no registration unless you want to go overseas (and of course "overseas" is at least a week's journey from here)
Old 18-10-2018, 22:28   #18

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft

I was in Japan (Kyoto) for 3 weeks last year. Saw only 1 Japanese flag the entire time. The Japanese are apparently not very nationalistic.
Old 18-10-2018, 22:44   #19

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We fly 3 flags from the port spreaders at anchor, one for each of us: Hungarian, American, and Moldovan...good to let people know some of what languages are spoken onboard (8 between us) Italian courtesy on starboard, Dutch on transom (soon to be belgian) for flag country. Also have a hammer and sickle (cause moldova used to be part of the USSR and we speak russian), peace/gay pride (cause duh), and hello kitty (sigh, not my choice) ready to let fly, depending on our mood
Old 18-10-2018, 23:44   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I fly our flag. And I am pleased to see flags from all other countries flying, that is real diversity of cultures, traditions, ways of life and competition for varios society models.

That is why we like to travel and visit other countries.

Of course there is one exception. I would not fly the EU blue flag, this is the opposite to diversity, this is about enforced uniformity and equalization leading to loss of culture and heritage.
Old 19-10-2018, 00:58   #21

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I fly our flag. And I am pleased to see flags from all other countries flying, that is real diversity of cultures, traditions, ways of life and competition for varios society models.

That is why we like to travel and visit other countries.

Of course there is one exception. I would not fly the EU blue flag, this is the opposite to diversity, this is about enforced uniformity and equalization leading to loss of culture and heritage.

Our boat was originally French and has on board the Euro Ensign with the upper inner quarter the French flag. So, still shows the diversity.

We’re registered in Jersey and fly the Red Ensign at our stern (BTW, to the poster who wrote illegal to fly the Union Jack in the UK, BS to that. Of course it’s legal. Maybe you’re thinking of the Royal Ensign?), courtesy flag from right spreader (currently NZ), and the Ocean Cruising Club burgee from port spreader. To actually represent us we’ve got Polish, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand flags that we fly from the port spreader when we feel so inclined.

Being from Canada originally I’ve always been envious of the public patriotic pride of our American neighbours.
Old 19-10-2018, 01:22   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Our boat was originally French and has on board the Euro Ensign with the upper inner quarter the French flag. So, still shows the diversity.

We’re registered in Jersey and fly the Red Ensign at our stern (BTW, to the poster who wrote illegal to fly the Union Jack in the UK, BS to that. Of course it’s legal. Maybe you’re thinking of the Royal Ensign?), courtesy flag from right spreader (currently NZ), and the Ocean Cruising Club burgee from port spreader. To actually represent us we’ve got Polish, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand flags that we fly from the port spreader when we feel so inclined.

Being from Canada originally I’ve always been envious of the public patriotic pride of our American neighbours.
Hmm... you might want to read the UK Merchant Shipping Act 1995.
Merchant Shipping Act 1995
This suggests only the Red Ensign may be flown by civilian ships.
It seems the Union Jack (Union Flag) is permitted to be flown by civilians on land but not at sea. More detail https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 19-10-2018, 02:15   #23

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I gladly fly my American flag. I am proud to call the United States my home. I was glad to have served 6 years in the Navy. I have been able to visit many countries, especially around the Atlantic and Central America's, but the U.S. is my home and there's no place like home.

I think diversity is important, and that is why I want to go cruising, to visit places different than home. And maybe I'll even find a place I like more than home. Perhaps. But that won't change my feelings about where I am from.
Old 19-10-2018, 02:34   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Carsten, what I think is the problem, is that people don't understand how quickly national flags wear out! It is that if you think when you leave that one will last, say, for 2 years.

What happens is that you've flown it for one year full time, and it's a lot shredded. So,, one year in advance of your schedule, you put up your spare, then cross from Panama to French Polynesia. And,voila, you're in the Marquesas, and your source of Danish flags is far across the globe, in a place where the tax on imported items is 50-100%. So you wait. Same problem in New Caledonia, nearest EU country, but same import probs.

If the Danish flag can be reasonably reproduced by a modest seamstress, that's the way to go--whether she's on your boat, or a local woman. Appropriate flag material is hard to come by. For years, we used sailmaker's cutoffs from their discard bins, and while spinnaker cloth is unsuitable for National Country flags, it is readily available, if you have the means on board of making your own. If it has to come to hand sewing, spinnaker cloth is reasonably easy to hand sew. Use #16 thread, if available. Mostly for hand sewing, I use #16 crewel needles. Can use thimbles, not sewing palms.

The real problem is that some flags (sorry, but out of China) are being sold, made of material that has extraordinarily little flap resistance, and so our most recent one has failed in less than one month!

Caveat emptor!

It is for me, quite frustrating to think I've ordered 3 yrs. supply, so find they barely go 3 months. Not a happy camper. The last one lasted less than 5 weeks.

So, that's the prob. Flags don't last as long as we hope.

Sorry,

Ann
Old 19-10-2018, 02:39   #25

Boat: Valiant 40

I’ve seen a few boats from Texas that fly the Texas state flag at the strb spreader no matter what state they are in. That’s so Texas lol.
Old 19-10-2018, 02:40   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
I had a US flag that came with the boat, but never flew it. It seems to be a level of pride which I don’t have.

I don’t like labels nor do I care much for the separation of people which flags represent. And specifically the history... when I think about all the events and actions which took place in the name of the American flag I become quite saddened.

I much rather like people to approach me first as a human being on a boat, rather than an American... I image flying a flag would have the opposite effect.

austin
To me, this sort of depends on where you're going. Some countries care more than others.

I see where you are coming from, but as long as you are a US vessel, you should not hide that fact. However, as soon as you open your mouth, you can say whatever seems most appropriate. It is a difficult thing to be seen as a representative of your country at a time when you are uncomfortable with the reality of that.

Ann
Old 19-10-2018, 02:44   #27

I don't fly flags for several reasons. One I don't fancy the thought of drilling holes in my boat after two years of patching previous owners carefree abandon with power tools. Two I'm just plain lazy. Three my voyages are to Canada largely confined to Lake Ontario. Four, After 12 years in the U S Army I think I have demonstrated my patriotism sufficiently. Five, I prefer to blend in, assimilate the local culture and pass through unnoticed.
Old 19-10-2018, 02:52   #28

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

I've found a great way to stock up on cheap flags. Every World Cup the country goes nuts and everyone flies little Brazian flags from their cars and windows. They're cheap and last almost as long as the "marine" flags. I buy them by the dozen (heck, after Brazil is eliminated you can pick them up off the ground). In Brazil you will be fined for not flying a national flag in good condition (frayed flags can result in a fine). It's worth stocking up on your home country flag before setting off.
Old 19-10-2018, 02:56   #29

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Just to offer a different opinion, I dont fly a national flag. It's not that I'm anti anything but rather I don't associate any attachment based on where you were randomly born. I think the whole "my country is the best" thing is way overblown (and historically an excuse for way too much drama).

I do fly the flag of the country on the starboard spreader as a sign of respect (and to avoid drama).
Old 19-10-2018, 04:48   #30

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

Flying our South African flag has had us meet fellow South African's that have either sailed a long route over the Atlantic or bought boats in the area and are now sailing. There are not many sailors from SA compared to other countries, so it's always nice to meet up.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, flags