Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 02:42   #1

Who is the authority of 'the sea'?

I know that the majority of the inland waterways of The United Kingdom have the Canal & River Trust as their authority, with Scotland having its own version of that. And then where their authority ends another authority will take over; maybe there is a harbour or port which does this for their local area of concern, but as the waterway becomes the sea, beyond the estuary, perhaps, and beyond its deep water buoy, then who is the authority then?

I realize that whoever the authority is it will only be for a certain zone or limit until either another authority takes over, or perhaps what is know as international waters is entered, and whatever that actually means.

If you are, say, in The Irish Sea, who then do you answer to? Or what if you are in deep water at the edge of the Solway Firth?

My expectation is that beyond specific authorities, like ports and their area, the sea is under the authority of the national coast guard, until international water which, wherever that begins and ends, is under no authority?????

If anyone could shed some light upon this topic of interest I would be very grateful as it is something, my self as a prospective sea sailor, that I am very curious about.

I mean, say you were crossing The English Channel to France, when would the UK cease and France take over?
duggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Who is the authority of 'the sea'?

AFAIK, the UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency are the authority in your case within UK Territorial Waters.

Here's a PDF which shows the boundaries:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...TS_2015_A4.pdf

Anywhere in international waters, your country of registration still has authority over your vessel.

In the last case, UK would have authority over a UK registered boat until you reach french territorial waters.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:28   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Neptune

or maybe

Aquaman
Old 04-02-2017, 05:03   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Neptune

or maybe

Aquaman
Omg! When we dedicated our boat we named as many sea gods as we could but we forgot Aquaman! Are we "doomed"!?
Old 04-02-2017, 05:15   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Bluestocking has " Shillings and Pence " under her mainmast, as she originated before Bermuda was kicked out of the Sterling area in Feb. '70.

King Neptune has recognised the currency since 1965 in both the Pacific and Atlantic.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:25   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Who is the authority of 'the sea'?

The boat with the biggest cannon..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:50   #7

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggybuggy View Post
If anyone could shed some light upon this topic of interest I would be very grateful as it is something, my self as a prospective sea sailor, that I am very curious about.
Get ready for some reading: http://www.un.org/depts/los/conventi...s/unclos_e.pdf
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:17   #8

Boat: Boatless

Interesting question. Why should it matter?

For many of us it's about leaving authorities.

They have to be dealt with yes, but still ��

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:36   #9

Boat: Ericson sloop 27'

I like the idea of leaving authority, but surely like waters controlled by authority, to keep the bigger cannon in check.
pyroray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:05   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Whoever will respond to your Mayday!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:40   #11

[QUOTE=My expectation is that beyond specific authorities, like ports and their area, the sea is under the authority of the national coast guard, until international water which, wherever that begins and ends, is under no authority?????

I mean, say you were crossing The English Channel to France, when would the UK cease and France take over?[/QUOTE]

Authority of the sea is (in my books) a respect of the person who would come an impose a regulation on you. Therefore the biggest authority, you as a captain, have to respect is your responsibility to your crew, the sea and it's conditions. The height of the waves and the wind and the capacity of your crew to be able to handle those conditions is the highest authority to respect... Captain Roger
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:22   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The boat with the biggest cannon..
LOL!!! Yep. Can you spell U.S. Navy?
varkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:56   #13

seabreeze. That is what I was thinking when I was undertaking the Day Skipper course as I imagined how it would be. I thought that there was so many variables and possibilities that you would have to, even after following any regulations, to look to yourself in all things and simply ask yourself what was the safest course of action for a crew and other sailors out there. I have to say that the course did change me in how I feel about my ability to make choices and carry them out. I think the sea instills this more than even flying because it is riddled with possible dangers which can come at you from any angle and at any time, and as it could happen suddenly and rapidly you are more on your own in having to deal with it so that you are forced to look to yourself. So I'm glad you said what you did.

Lodesman. I haven't read it yet, but will do in the morning. Thanks.

StuM. Thanks for that map. I was surprised that the territorial waters do not extend further from the land. It gives me a good idea about 'how it is'.
duggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:01   #14

I have been questioned, by radio, by a U.S. Coast Guard Patrol Ship deep in the Bahamas. ( Mira por Vos Channel )
The Bahamians also have their own. Apparently on US patrol ships they have a couple of Bahamian National Guards on board.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:10   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I believe in the northern hemisphere it is the US and the southern the Aussies. Probably all by agreement with other nations. To get political not the useless UN.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote