Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2008, 17:06   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Then they got NZ passports and were waved through.
I'm not clear how this relates to boat registration? Everyone has a friend that ... .
Old 26-02-2008, 17:24   #77
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

So, Paul, if a boat flying an Iranian ensign showed up in, say, Baltimore one day...do you think customs and those nice men in the striped boats would treat it exactly the same way as a boat flying the maple leaf or french tricolor?
Old 26-02-2008, 18:35   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
So, Paul, if a boat flying an Iranian ensign showed up in, say, Baltimore one day...do you think customs and those nice men in the striped boats would treat it exactly the same way as a boat flying the maple leaf or french tricolor?
With passports from Iran, Canada. France or the USA?

Life begins where land ends.
Old 26-02-2008, 19:29   #79

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel View Post
It is a criminal offence for the Canadian Coast guard to go below in a Canadian flagged vessel that is your home , without a search warant issued by a Canadian judge, anywhere in the world. It is a criminal violation of our charter of rights, in our constitution
If you don't want to be thought of as an arrogant yank, fly a smaller flag, not a huge one.
I can understand why someone would be embarrased to fly a US flag. I would.
Brent
Brent,

The Canadian Shipping Act allows boardings and inspections without warrant for a number of reasons; the applicable sections are laid out below. Your last sentence is rude and not called for; our American friends should know that not all Canadians share Brent's sentiments.

Kevin

CSA
135. (1) The Minister may designate any person or class of persons for the purposes of enforcing this Part.

Stopping and boarding a vessel
(2) A person, or a member of a class of persons, designated under subsection (1) who has reasonable grounds to believe that an offence has been committed or is about to be committed under this Part by a vessel or any person on board a vessel may stop and board the vessel and take any reasonable action to ensure public safety or protect the public interest.

176. (1) For the purpose of exercising his or her powers under this Part, a pollution prevention officer or a pollution response officer may (a) board any vessel or enter any premises or other place at any reasonable time;

196. (4) Enforcement officers acting under subsection (2) and inspectors acting under subsection (3) may
(a) stop or board the craft at any reasonable time;

200. An enforcement officer who has reasonable grounds to believe that an offence has been committed or is about to be committed under this Part by a pleasure craft or any person on board a vessel may stop and board the craft or vessel and take any reasonable action to ensure public safety or protect the public interest.
Old 26-02-2008, 19:59   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
OK guy's, this is about to all come off the rails if we aren't careful. I will allow it to carry on as it does pertain to legal requirements etc, but don't go down the route of political crap OK. Keep it all on track thanks.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 27-02-2008, 05:54   #81
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
This thread should be deep sixed.
Old 27-02-2008, 06:01   #82
Eternal Member

Pretty soon there is going to be sniping about customs/visiting policies.

I tried to bring one up about Canada but I guess it died on the cutting room floor.

You will not be allowed to enter Canada if you have an arrest record.....even if it "ancient"
Old 27-02-2008, 06:22   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Pretty soon there is going to be sniping about customs/visiting policies.
I don't think we are going to get into what policies are worse than others. I would hope you won't try to take a thread in that direction. Politics are a part of all these policies but aside from what the rules are I don't see Cruisers Forum as a place to air your complaints about them. We have no political ambitions or desires to do so. It's more the opposite. We really don't want to hear about it here.

If you have political issues to discuss they need to find a better web site. There are a lot of political web sites that want this discussion. They actually need you there.
Old 27-02-2008, 07:58   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A good one is ForumClick.com

Say what you want about politics and politicians.

Old 27-02-2008, 08:41   #85

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
While I agree about the need to leave politics out of "sailing" this question of "what flag" is nothing but politics. Or is the question only about money?
Old 27-02-2008, 09:46   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cruising does involve politics because it involves international travel. I guess the question is how much is too much? At what point do the readers of this forum start getting turned off by it. I would think if the politics is directly related to cruising then it is relevant. If it has very little or no relevance then it should be disallowed. It seems like a fine line open to interpretation but of course THAT interpretation is up to the moderators and not the individual.

Old 27-02-2008, 10:48   #87

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
You will not be allowed to enter Canada if you have an arrest record.....even if it "ancient"
A lot of countries have this policy, including the US. If your record is "ancient" then you should try to get a pardon.

Kevin
Old 27-02-2008, 13:27   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess the question is how much is too much?
It's too much if the tone of the post is just a complaint. It's not too much if you are trying to deal with a political problem you need to solve. Often the question in the initial post is not the problem but the responses that wonder off topic tend to go in a poor direction. Politics and a few other topics seem to be the worst. It's fair to say nearly all posts on CF start out well enough but often wander into areas where they only end in argument. deleting threads is easy enough but asking people to change a little I hope keeps more activity and generates more help for more people. The new folks that come everyday don't need a fight for their first experiences nor do they want to read about one either.

It's too much if you think you can change the world by posting here. No one that can actually change anything ever comes here. This actually includes most all rants, venting, or complaining. If you consider that a cruiser is traveling in almost all parts of the world every day some one will find something that is unfair some time most any day. If you need to know everything will be fair then you are not cut out for world travel.

There are the rules and then there is the politics of the rules. We really don't want the latter but we all need to know and discuss the former. Why things are the way they are is usually more than can be handled in a posting of a few messages.

Cruisers Forum's rapid growth is because we tend to do it better than other past attempts and as we grow more we all have to try a little harder to keep things running the way most of the people here like it. It's why most of you have been here as much as you have. It's primarily due to the quality of the posts that have grown over time that makes people want to come here and come back. We now have 10,200 members with over 133,000 posts. There is a great wealth of experience here and it deserves just a little bit of order to it so it can expand even more.
Old 27-02-2008, 13:54   #89

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post

Cruisers Forum's rapid growth is because we tend to do it better than other past attempts and as we grow more we all have to try a little harder to keep things running the way most of the people here like it. It's why most of you have been here as much as you have. It's primarily due to the quality of the posts that have grown over time that makes people want to come here and come back. We now have 10,200 members with over 133,000 posts. There is a great wealth of experience here and it deserves just a little bit of order to it so it can expand even more.

Thanks,

This forum is truly a pleasure.
Some others may still by in my history but not in "favorites".
Old 27-02-2008, 17:13   #90
Eternal Member

Talk about "Piracy"!!!!!!

This thread has been hijacked and need to be closed.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel View Post
I have never heard of the Canadian government boarding a Canadian yacht outside Canadian waters . In fact only the US makes a priority of harassing its citizens in international waters. The Canadian charter of rights overides all other Canadian laws including the Canada shipping act. To board a Canadian yacht , any country needs permission from the Canadian Ministry of external affairs, which is usually given , leaving the Minister of External affairs liable to a lawsuit personaly for violating the Charter. I'd like to see someone do a test case, and invite the media.
Brent

I think you are extremely unlikely to be boarded by the Cayman navy in mid ocean so why give the US the right to do so. No other registry will harass you far from their waters..
IMHO you probably won't be boarded in int'l waters by anyone unless you give them some reason of suspicion.....Anyhoo I am sure there are Maritime Compacts that allow this sort of thing anf the UN probably has some guidelines in that area.

The thread has gone farther off course than Corrigan
Closed Thread