Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2012, 10:01   #1

Boat: TBD
Which countries have a reasonable path to citizenship?

Which countries have the most reasonable route to becoming a citizen of that country, coming from the United States? I saw something about the rules being different for retiring there for some places.

Is it just a matter of giving them money and waiting, or do you need special skills?
hblask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 10:41   #2

Re: Which countries have a reasonable path to citizenship?

Varies. I don't know which is "most reasonable," but I do know that several will allow you citizenship if you are willing to spend enough (usually somewhere between $500k and a million) on a home there, and then live in it as your primary residence for some period of time (typically 1-3 years).

I think instead of just generally asking which is most reasonable, you would be better served by narrowing it down to a handful of alternatives and then checking the specific rules for each of those.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 10:50   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
Which countries have the most reasonable route to becoming a citizen of that country, coming from the United States? I saw something about the rules being different for retiring there for some places.

Is it just a matter of giving them money and waiting, or do you need special skills?
How long is a piece of string?

You better define reasonable before expecting a cogent response.
Old 28-06-2012, 10:58   #4

OK.... by reasonable I mean "not like the United States". I mean something where you can just go there and sign up and wait and pay some fees, or if you need to prove you are not indigent by having a bank account or something.

I've heard some countries require $1,000,000 or more, while others are in the tens of thousands. Some have 5-or-more year waiting lists, others are much shorter.

And some are not possible at all.

I don't really know how else to ask it.. .which ones cost the least, have short waiting lists, and still are possible to get in? If it requires depositing assets in a bank there, that's one thing; actually having to pay out 6 figures or more is quite another.
Old 28-06-2012, 11:06   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

St Kitts & Nevis offers a "Citizenship by Investment" program. You either buy an approved property or make a contribution to the Sugar Industry Diversification Foundation. The fees are not insignificant (see below). Or you can live here for 14 years and apply for a passport for a much lower fee. You still have to meet certain financial, health and character standards.

Government Fees

Required Investment and Fees
US$7,500.00 for due diligence and processing fees for the main applicant
US$4,000.00 for due diligence background checks and processing fees for each dependent over 16 years
Real Estate Option
Minimum Investment required is US$400,000.00
On approval in principle of an application:
  • US$50,000.00 for the main applicant
  • US$25,000.00 for the spouse of main applicant
  • US$25,000.00 for each child of the main applicant under 18 years
  • US$50,000.00 for each qualified dependent of the main applicant over 18 years other than his spouse
Sugar Industry Diversification Foundation Contributions
The amounts below are inclusive of all Government fees payable for the main applicant and his or her dependents with the exception of due diligence background fees.
  • US$250,000.00 for Single Applicant
  • US$300,000.00 for Applicant with up to three dependents
  • US$350,000.00 for Applicant with up to five dependents
  • US$450,000.00 for Applicant with up to seven dependent
  • US$50,000.00 for additional contribution for each dependent above seven dependents
*With the exception of the spouse of the main applicant, dependents over 18 years an additional fee of $50,000.00 is payable to the Government.
The fee for each Certificate of Registration is US$47.00.
Old 28-06-2012, 11:10   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Most countries will "give" you a passport if you bring enough cash....albeit the "Civilised" ones will wrap it up with the term "investment".....numbers will vary, and likely not simply depositing cash into a bank account (for a day?! - before it heads back "home").

Won't neccessarily mean you get a passport the next day (and probably not), but would get you over the hurdle of not having anything else (skills wise) that they want / need, so get into the process for a passport. Downside is likely they will require to actually live there for a few years!

Some Countries do have retirement Visas (Malaysia and Thailand spring to mind, but there are others), no new passport involved and usually a minimum age and income requirement - you are a resource to be harvested!

Of course you can usually also marry yourself into most places, even if you do have to cross someone's palm with silver to at least look like that is the case for a couple of years, until the ink is dry. But "true love" and the internet were made for each other!

I think a couple of countries (Central America? - Belize?) still sell passports / citizenship, but downside is that they alone don't let you in most places elsewhere.

Personally, unless I had a good reason to give up 1st world citizenship (I think the US still counts? ) then I would not swap for somewhere else, or bother getting a 2nd one unless I really wanted to settle forever somewhere - and doing so made my life easier. Otherwise just find somewhere that you liked and the Visa process worked long stay, whether retirement, business or simply extended vacation! - or a mix of all.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 11:48   #7

Boat: Union Polaris 36

Quote:
Personally, unless I had a good reason to give up 1st world citizenship (I think the US still counts? ) then I would not swap for somewhere else, or bother getting a 2nd one unless I really wanted to settle forever somewhere - and doing so made my life easier. Otherwise just find somewhere that you liked and the Visa process worked long stay, whether retirement, business or simply extended vacation! - or a mix of all.
You can be a dual citizen.....

I know Panama is changing it's rules rapidly especially if you are over 60. They are trying (or have) put through a law that you can be a citizen now if you have $5000 cash and have resided here for a few years.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 12:37   #8

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Is there any particular reason you want to become a citizen? You don't have to be a citizen if you just want to retire there. You can apply for permanent residency for most countries.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 12:42   #9

Boat: Union Polaris 36

Some countries only allow citizens to own land, run businesses, ect...

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 13:15   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Get on a plane to Canada ... tear up your passport before you land ...
get off the plane with your hands in the air yelling "POLITICAL REFUGEE" repeatedly.

Within hours you will have an Ontario Health Card, free dental and dentistry care, an apartment and a monthly allowance
Old 28-06-2012, 13:43   #11

From the original poster, I gather you are currently a US citizen and want to get citizenship anywhere else. Just curious - why?
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 13:47   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I can think of one reason to give up my citzenship- taxes.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 13:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
From the original poster, I gather you are currently a US citizen and want to get citizenship anywhere else. Just curious - why?
I don't think this forum likes political fights, so let's just say "just wondering".
Old 28-06-2012, 13:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I can think of one reason to give up my citzenship- taxes.
Yup, but then the question would have been about citizenship in low-tax or no-tax countries.

The original question came across as "I need non-US citizenship as fast as possible. I don't care where it is, as long as it's not US and I can get it fast." Surely there's a story behind it.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 14:09   #15

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Get on a plane to Canada ... tear up your passport before you land ...
get off the plane with your hands in the air yelling "POLITICAL REFUGEE" repeatedly.

Within hours you will have an Ontario Health Card, free dental and dentistry care, an apartment and a monthly allowance
FOR REAL?
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote