Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2012, 18:51   #91
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Which countries have a reasonable path to citizenship?

Guys, he's not talking about visiting Cuba, or the US. He's talking about renouncing his US citizenship and being admitted as a citizen in Cuba. The US embassy and US visas are irrelevant to that. Only the Cubans can tell him whether they'll grant him asylum, or other Cuban citizenship.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 18:56   #92
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Can you actually renounce ones citizenship. I know that some countries invalidate one citizenship if you acquire another , which is somewhat a different thing.
Dave
Old 17-07-2012, 19:03   #93
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Can you actually renounce ones citizenship."
Of course you can, Comrade. And of course The State may choose to reject your renouncement.

In the case of the US, citizens can renounce citizenship but the IRS may put out a warrant for you if they think you owe them money. Which won't matter, unless you try to cross a border someplace.

Multiple citizenships are a whole other bowl of herring. There are highly paid professionals at the Department of State who will be glad to discuss that with you. (The citizenship, not the herring. They're not trained on herring.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 19:16   #94

Sneak into any country of your choosing. Demand that all social services, civil services, buisness transactions, etc be conducted in your language as well as provide you shelter, free health care and access to their national retirement system.

Every country does it. Shouldn’t be a problem.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 22:25   #95

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

No mention of the Philippines - 7,107 tropical islands, English widely understood on a basic level, friendly people, warm clear water, relatively inexpensive cost of living - I have permanent rsidence via a Special Resident Retirement Visa issued by the Philippine Retirement Authority. The fee was about $1,400 USD and I have to keep $10K in an approved PI bank (I use Bank of Commerce which helped me through the process free - they have current links and info on their web site, and they promptly answer email in Engliish). There is a way to acquire Philippine citizenship - and there are many dual USA/Philippine citizens - there is a Yahoo group, Mag-Anak, where you can ask questions if this info isn't in the archive.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote