Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-11-2011, 07:24   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Where Is it Easiest to Register a Boat for an EU Citizen ?

I chose the British over German registry because a lot of the other factors are simpler - from licensing the skipper (zero requirements, whereas a German ship needs a "SBF-See" or better/equivalent); then a lot of the equipment allowed elsewhere isn't approved on German ships (i.e. the ICOM 801 isn't allowed). All one needs for a GB registry is a mailing address.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:37   #17
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Where Is it Easiest to Register a Boat for an EU Citizen ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I chose the British over German registry because a lot of the other factors are simpler - from licensing the skipper (zero requirements, whereas a German ship needs a "SBF-See" or better/equivalent); then a lot of the equipment allowed elsewhere isn't approved on German ships (i.e. the ICOM 801 isn't allowed). All one needs for a GB registry is a mailing address.
And it can all be done online....
https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:43   #18
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
ICOM 801 isnt legal in any EU country, the 801E is.

Dave
Old 11-11-2011, 09:44   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Sorry, the ICOM 801E is not legal on German registered vessels, it is not type approved by the Bundesamt fuer Shifffahrt (using 3 f's in a row is allowed in German)
Old 11-11-2011, 18:05   #20
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sorry, the ICOM 801E is not legal on German registered vessels, it is not type approved by the Bundesamt fuer Shifffahrt (using 3 f's in a row is allowed in German)
The ICOM 801E versions sold in Europe are CE marked and conform to the RTTE regulations. As such under European law they are legal in any Eu country.

The 801E, is not a GMDSS compliant radio. So for vessels that are GMDSS carraige compulsory the 801EGMDSS is required. I suspect that for leisure vessels the Bundesamt fuer Shifffahrt is wrong and would loose the case in law. EU law is superior to nation state laws.

The 801E CE approval was actually done in Germany!.
Old 12-11-2011, 14:23   #21

Boat: Moody 36CC

Hi everybody

Next month I will have to renew the registration of a sailboat (7 m X 2,4 m) and as I do not have a UK address anymore I was thinking of registering it in Germany (or another country if it is easier) as I have no intention of registering it in Spain. Actually the boat is in the backyard as we purchased a bigger one last year but I believe it cannot be without any type of registration. When the economy is better I’ll put it up for sail.

Can somebody let me know where I must inform myself to be able to register in Germany?
Old 13-11-2011, 13:32   #22
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquah View Post
Hi everybody

Next month I will have to renew the registration of a sailboat (7 m X 2,4 m) and as I do not have a UK address anymore I was thinking of registering it in Germany (or another country if it is easier) as I have no intention of registering it in Spain. Actually the boat is in the backyard as we purchased a bigger one last year but I believe it cannot be without any type of registration. When the economy is better I’ll put it up for sail.

Can somebody let me know where I must inform myself to be able to register in Germany?

The Bundesamt für Seeschifffahrt und Hydrographie is your man see Flag certificates

Note that you will need a German person with a german address to act as an agent, Just like UK part 1.
Old 14-11-2011, 01:02   #23

Boat: Transpac 49

Quote:
Off Topic
However using 3 S's isn't. Funnily enough, the 'new' Rechtschreiben allows you too (Straussstrasse) although many DE/CH/AU newspapers choose to ignore the 'new' grammar for obvious reasons.

Just my 2c
Old 20-11-2011, 03:00   #24

I'm heading over to US within a couple of weeks to check out a couple of boats.
Some of the are no problems because they are less than 12m long (and that would make registration easy in Sweden). But...then I have some above, a couple around 13m and one over 16m (53ft)

So...the most interesting is the 53 footer. Where would be easiest for me to register this one? Still Germany? If choosing Germany - what is the size limit to within the easy registration process? Somebody here mentioned that a license was required in Germany. Do you need to have this license to get documents needed for traveling abroad with the boat (proof of nationality of the boat etc)?

I have also seen that Delaware seems to be an option cause they allows non US citizens (and resident) to register. Do I need any certificate in Delaware to drive a boat?

Andreas
Old 20-11-2011, 05:50   #25
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
I'm heading over to US within a couple of weeks to check out a couple of boats.
Some of the are no problems because they are less than 12m long (and that would make registration easy in Sweden). But...then I have some above, a couple around 13m and one over 16m (53ft)

So...the most interesting is the 53 footer. Where would be easiest for me to register this one? Still Germany? If choosing Germany - what is the size limit to within the easy registration process? Somebody here mentioned that a license was required in Germany. Do you need to have this license to get documents needed for traveling abroad with the boat (proof of nationality of the boat etc)?

I have also seen that Delaware seems to be an option cause they allows non US citizens (and resident) to register. Do I need any certificate in Delaware to drive a boat?

Andreas
German registration is like the UK and many other countries, As an EU "citizen" you are entitled to register, however if you dont live in Germany, you must appoint a local agent to act as a documentation person.
Old 20-11-2011, 10:33   #26
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I don't think any state will allow chartering. Both company and boats will need to come to that country. Also, you need serious paperwork for the captains for things like seamanship, medical etc.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Malta - EU is a good place to register a yacht.
FRANCE owns a lot of oversea territories (Indian Ocean, Pacific, Caribean) that are interesting destinations for sailors. Does an EU citizen have any advantage there if the boat is registered in France?? e.g. permission to spend a longer time on a French island?

MM
Old 03-12-2011, 09:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Malta - EU is a good country to register a yacht.
Malta has a fairly complex registration setup involving a change of boat ownership from you to a Malta company, then this Malta company leasing the boat to you. I guess that's their way to avoid majority of VAT.
It doesn't look simple or cheap.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:06   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If you sail in the EU I would not recommend you register your boat on a non EU register under any circumstances.

Dave
What is the reason for your recommendation?
Old 03-12-2011, 09:07   #30

Boat: secondarily boatless

Hi,

I'm just investigating the same stuff since it looks like we'll get our boat before year end. In Germany, the BSH has been very helpful - apparently there isn't much to do this time of year. As far as I can tell:
Below 15 m a flag certificate or something similar issued by the ADAC (Auto club) is sufficient; entry into the ship's registry is recommended but not necessary. From 15 m and up you have to enter it into the "Seeschiffsregister", which documents ownership and actually makes it a piece of Germany on the high seas...

As far as licenses are concerned, Germany is about as complicated as it gets. You need a motorboat license if it is above a ridiculously low limit (3 hp???). You need a coastal sailing license (SKS) for sailboats. You need a short range certificate before they will issue you a call sign. And last but not least you need to pass a test before they will allow you to buy, transport or dispose of flares and red rockets. Nice touch - you are allowed (in case of emergency) to launch them even if you don't have the certificate...

I hope that helps...

Oliver

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: