Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-01-2011, 13:02   #31

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Pullord. First, there is no REQUIRED, registration in New Zealand for recreational vessels, with the exception of personal watercraft (jet ski), unless you are leaving the 200 mile economic zone limit of the coast. Yes, once a vessel has been imported to New Zealand, it may enter, remain, or leave as many times as the owner so desires. Also, note, that you may still fly the same flag of the country you imported the boat under.

As to your GST & Duty questions, here is the best place to start: www.customs.govt.nz It is my understanding that you can never reclaim the duty portion (approximately 7.5%) back, but there are circumstances where the GST (was 12.5% up to last year, now 15%) may be refunded. It is my advice to get "in writing" from customs or the broker (if one is involved) what would be the case in your individual situation. All the best. Cheers.

Old 19-01-2011, 16:27   #32
cruiser

i assume you lost boat due to divorce not improper registration,,delaware corp. is considered same as us citizen i suspect but doing your homework beforehand is always smart as im sure every state of the usa will take tax if your not on the ball or up to date on recent tax laws,,i heard about these dock walkers in the usa 20 yrs ago but never met anyone who actually had their boat seized by the sheriff for unpaid taxes/duties,,sure its happened though

Old 19-01-2011, 18:47   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
A friend of mine (a fisherman) in Maryland, put the boat and everything in his wife's name so if he got sued, nobody could get the boat.
Another way to accomplish the same sort of thing (as well as lots of other goodies) is set up a trust fund in the boats name with you as trustee.
Old 19-01-2011, 19:19   #34

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
It took about three months for the USCG to process my documentation application for a new boat. This was Oct. - Dec. 2010.
Old 20-01-2011, 07:46   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
Thanks for the forms. Do you know of any reason to select one port of call over another.
The USCG does not care one little bit what port of call you use. In fact, you can make up an imaginary town if you want. When I finally get around to buying my next boat I'm thinking of using Podunk, Nebraska as my port of call.
Old 20-01-2011, 08:17   #36

Lots of garbled information in this thread. I will try to sort some of it out:

1. Only U.S. citizens can obtain USCG documentation of a yacht.
2. You can choose any town, inland or not, as your "hailing port" that must be on the stern of the boat. Some states and localities will use the USCG lists of boats to try to obtain taxes from you, based on both your mailing address and your homeport. You should keep records of things like marina fees, boatyard fees, state registration fees, etc. to prove your own circumstances if the tax man comes calling. In my case, NY wanted sales tax due to my boat having a NY hailing port, and I had to prove that the boat had never been in NY.
3. Some states will require you to also obtain state registration for your boat, even if it is USCG documented. For example, FL requires a state registration, even if your home state does not.
4. There are several states, notably RI, NH, and DE that do not collect sales or use tax on boats. Most other states allow you to be in their waters for 60-90 days before you are supposed to pay sales or use tax. Some states do have methods for determining who has been in the state for these time periods. MD, CT, and NY are well known to chase down out of state boats for sales tax. However, each state is different in how this is treated. For example, some states, like FL, MA, and ME allow you to bring a boat into the state without paying sales tax as long as you have owned the boat out of state previously for some period of time, usually 6 months to 1 year. Most states allow you to subtract any previously paid sales tax (to a different state) from the use tax, but not MD--they want the full amount again.
5. Some states and localities also have property taxes on boats that can be quite high. SC and NC levy property taxes on boats. Most of the New England states do not. Florida does not. Usually you can get away without paying property tax if you do not remain in the state more than 60-90 days.
6. When you purchase a boat some states give you some time to get it out of state before the sales tax is due, usually 30 days at most. Check on this carefully, because I believe some states will consider a sale taking place as proof that you owe sales tax at that time.
7. Best advice to avoid taxes is to purchase boat in RI, NH, or DE, document the boat with the USCG, register it with the state if required (RI requires it), and then don't stay anywhere for more than 60-90 days, or at least until your year or so is up. Then you can keep the boat in Florida without paying sales tax, though you will have to register it. In MA you don't have to register it.
8. Check the laws of each state carefully before proceeding!
Old 20-01-2011, 08:26   #37
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Lots of garbled information in this thread. I will try to sort some of it out:

1. Only U.S. citizens can obtain USCG documentation of a yacht.
2. You can choose any town, inland or not, as your "hailing port" that must be on the stern of the boat. Some states and localities will use the USCG lists of boats to try to obtain taxes from you, based on both your mailing address and your homeport. You should keep records of things like marina fees, boatyard fees, state registration fees, etc. to prove your own circumstances if the tax man comes calling. In my case, NY wanted sales tax due to my boat having a NY hailing port, and I had to prove that the boat had never been in NY.
3. Some states will require you to also obtain state registration for your boat, even if it is USCG documented. For example, FL requires a state registration, even if your home state does not.
4. There are several states, notably RI, NH, and DE that do not collect sales or use tax on boats. Most other states allow you to be in their waters for 60-90 days before you are supposed to pay sales or use tax. Some states do have methods for determining who has been in the state for these time periods. MD, CT, and NY are well known to chase down out of state boats for sales tax. However, each state is different in how this is treated. For example, some states, like FL, MA, and ME allow you to bring a boat into the state without paying sales tax as long as you have owned the boat out of state previously for some period of time, usually 6 months to 1 year. Most states allow you to subtract any previously paid sales tax (to a different state) from the use tax, but not MD--they want the full amount again.
5. Some states and localities also have property taxes on boats that can be quite high. SC and NC levy property taxes on boats. Most of the New England states do not. Florida does not. Usually you can get away without paying property tax if you do not remain in the state more than 60-90 days.
6. When you purchase a boat some states give you some time to get it out of state before the sales tax is due, usually 30 days at most. Check on this carefully, because I believe some states will consider a sale taking place as proof that you owe sales tax at that time.
7. Best advice to avoid taxes is to purchase boat in RI, NH, or DE, document the boat with the USCG, register it with the state if required (RI requires it), and then don't stay anywhere for more than 60-90 days, or at least until your year or so is up. Then you can keep the boat in Florida without paying sales tax, though you will have to register it. In MA you don't have to register it.
8. Check the laws of each state carefully before proceeding!
Wow I wish all of what you said was true on #8 but its not! IN FLorida you will still have topay a sales tax/use tax of 6.5 persent with a cap of $18k in tax
Old 20-01-2011, 08:34   #38

Quote:
Wow I wish all of what you said was true on #8 but its not! IN FLorida you will still have topay a sales tax/use tax of 6.5 persent with a cap of $18k in tax
Not true if you buy and keep the boat out of Florida for six months. Here is the law from here:
Use tax and surtax are not due on boats brought to Florida if you meet all of the following conditions:
• You own the boat 6 months or longer, and
• You have shown no intent to use the boat in Florida at or before the time of purchase, and
• The boat has been in use 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S.
territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the
6-month period
Old 20-01-2011, 13:51   #39
cruiser

boat tax/duty confusion

as with most tax laws keep current on changes and hope no "grandfathering legaslation applies later" as what one considers a done deal is not always so,,many have found out that if you keep a usa registered boat in the bahamas for over a certain time/frame duty/taxes are payable unless the craft has been removed from their terretorial waters within such timeframe,,this double/taxation also applies in other countries and is best investigated with the internet access now available than just word-of-mouth advice which can result in a large bill that could have been used to buy alot of 'cervasa freea"{cold beer} for example,,these forums are great for quick advice but real research is reqiured and often 5-1000 spent now with a pro up on current legeslation can save you thousands done the road or around the corner,, so to speak,,nothing is easier than doing a simple share transfer written ion a barroom napkin to your mate kid etc, to transfer ownership if decided later without any tax liability if you find-out perhaps you have stage 4 lung cancer from smoking or owe the irs a mil or so,,cheers
Old 20-01-2011, 14:13   #40
cruiser

canuck beware

never like to instill fear in my fellow man/woman as i recall roy rogers said i never met a man i didnt like ,,i just didnt agree with,,i should mention that 'beneficial owner" is a term used by revenue canada in respect to yachts brought into canadian waters by residents for tax avoidance,,if you are a canadian taking advantage of free medical,,have canada drivers license,credit card and bank account you will be considered resident irregardless of what bookie{BDO}etc has advised you,,govt will seize your tax free toys and treat you agressively as irs in usa,,just look at revenue canada website and their inmvestigation in offshore accounts in france and switzerland ..info provided by HSBC BANK because of cours even the largest aCCOUNT holder is not worth losing their banking license over,,so all you suckers that ran out to save fees by becoming PREMIER customers just got RATTED out by your own bank,,check rca website for details as their starting at the largest$ balances and working their way down,,just thought i woulkd let you cheapies know,,wow too many goodies for me,,ill pay extra for privacy,,cheers
Old 20-01-2011, 14:13   #41
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Not true if you buy and keep the boat out of Florida for six months. Here is the law from here:
Use tax and surtax are not due on boats brought to Florida if you meet all of the following conditions:
ē You own the boat 6 months or longer, and
ē You have shown no intent to use the boat in Florida at or before the time of purchase, and
ē The boat has been in use 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S.
territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the
6-month period
Iím Sorry, just posting this as fact does not make it Fact- your missing something somewhere- try calling the tax office and tell them that- itís called use tax/sales tax- - I have 3 vessels, 2 of them in Florida one in the Eu- Greece- I want to bring the vessel thatís in the EU back to Fl and avoids paying taxes legally somehow- the vessel is US Documented in Delaware and I have never paid tax yet-and itís never been to the USA- so if I bring it here I have only 90 days before I have to pay-tax-if kept in Florida- I also have to pay an import duty of 1.5%- Now what I have figured out is the only legal way to avoid paying this tax is to register this vessel offshore and come to America as a foreign flagged vessel- So Iím looking for the best/cheapest country to register in- Costs $2-3 k vs. $18k & the import duty- itís a no brainer ,for me I will find a wayÖ legally
Old 20-01-2011, 14:36   #42

Ram, I am just posting as fact information I found on Florida's own government Web sites. Click on the link I provided. You do have to read the fine print and meet all the criteria, such as owning the boat outside of FL with no intent to bring it to FL, etc. Something may have changed since this information was published, but this has been the situation in Florida for many years.

I have found that quite frequently those at the tax offices and law enforcement officers do not know the law and regulations accurately, so it pays to do your own research and bring with you printed copies of the relevant rules and laws. Even then they may give you an argument. Then you have to start working your way up through supervisors, etc. until you get someone who is willing to read and follow the law.
Old 20-01-2011, 15:07   #43
cruiser

fipping?

good advice,, flipped ownership nthru mich.- lorida-deaware-panama-uk tax -free ,,homework is key,,yes,,know laws,,cheerswalk softly and carry a big stick
Old 20-01-2011, 15:23   #44
cruiser

dojt care

got offshore trading account with offshore bank account ,,you really tghink whaT you say matters when i am busy analizing trades etyc,,,, i will not respond for days if distracted by decisicions costing me income,,gossip is gossip and money taLKS,,BULLSHIT DONT WALK,,wherer i grew up,,dont bother me with ypour triviaL BULLSHIT,,DONT EVEN TRYto sucker me into threatening you cause i dont know you,,andf y would i care about you?,,as i said I DONT KNOW YOU,i am using privaTE investigagation to trace your IPO or ISP so buyewr beware as knot gonna happen,l,is my motto,,by byoff then and now
Old 21-01-2011, 12:53   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
if I bring it here I have only 90 days before I have to pay-tax-if kept in Florida...
You have 90 days to register it in Florida. The fees are very modest, only $85 for any boat less than 40 ft, and less than $200 no matter how large your boat is.

If you bought the boat outside of Florida more than six months ago, and have used it in the jurisdiction of another taxing authority during that six months in such a way that it would be subject to whatever tax that authority might impose (even if that authority does not impose any tax!) then you do not have to pay sales or use tax to Florida.

I found specific reference to a case where a man--who was a legal resident of Florida--bought a boat in Washington state, where there is no sales tax on boats. He sailed it up and down the West coast of the U.S. for about eight months. He then brought it to Florida. He did not owe any sales or use tax, because six months had passed and he had documentation of it being "used" during those months. Had he not used the boat outside of Florida--in other words, if he had bought it and then just let it sit for six months--he would have had to pay Florida's use tax.

All of this information can be found on the websites of the Florida Dept. of Hwy Safety and Motor Vehicles, and the Dept. of Revenue. In particular, it is the Dept. of Revenue that has detailed information about the use tax, and the exemption for vessels bought and used outside of Florida.

I don't know about the 1.5% import duty, but the state of Florida is only going to want a piddling registration fee from you for the boat you've been using in Greece if you decide to bring it here.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: