Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2011, 16:28   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
If you are in Canada for more than a year you have to register it Canadian
Old 17-01-2011, 16:56   #17

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
We paid cash to a broker in Anacortes for our new (used) boat in September and still haven't received the Docs or a state registration (they won't give us one without Docs). We reregistered our old boat, got new docs in 2 weeks. I was going to Canada during Christmas but decided I didn't want an international hassle. US Documentation transfer takes a lot of time these days, so be prepared. Unless you're buying a new boat.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 17:17   #18

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
capnorv,

Call the USCG yourself (see website below) to check what your status is. Documentation only takes a few weeks.
This is a DIY process. Brokers will charge $500.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/

Go to this post to see the CG1258 form http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post598031
You fill out the form send it to the USCG with a $70 fee and in a few weeks you get your documentation in the mail.
It's that easy and a cheap DIY.
I show cruisers how to do it all the time.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 18:04   #19

Boat: Able 50
If you register with USCG you will be exposed to the various state tax laws applicable to both residents and long term visitors. Some states tax you as a local after a visit of XXX days. The cheapest option is to head for RI and stay there but that may not suit your needs.

With BVI registration you can come and go through the states on a cruising permit and no tax worries. Last I looked you had to leave the US for 15 days minimum after 1 year and then you can re enter.

Unfortunately, all the choices have a down side.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 22:51   #20

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Cotemar, thanks. I check office of science and technology almost daily. USCG status center was at end of September last week...anytime now. Broker didn't pad fee as far as I could tell, unless it was on the sellers end.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 05:35   #21

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
If you register with USCG you will be exposed to the various state tax laws applicable to both residents and long term visitors. Some states tax you as a local after a visit of XXX days. The cheapest option is to head for RI and stay there but that may not suit your needs.

With BVI registration you can come and go through the states on a cruising permit and no tax worries. Last I looked you had to leave the US for 15 days minimum after 1 year and then you can re enter.

Unfortunately, all the choices have a down side.
I think you are wrong about most of this. BVI registration does not free you of any state tax law, and USCG documentation does not bind/expose you to any state tax law.

Even without CG documentation you may be exposed to state tax liability if you keep a boat in that state too long. CT is 60 days (total per year, even if not continuous) and others may be as short as 60 days also.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 05:53   #22

What you say is only correct for an out of state US boat with a US owner. A foreign boat with a cruising permit gets 1 year tax free in every state.

Maybe you forgot that mcerdos is a Brit.
Old 18-01-2011, 06:11   #23

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
What you say is only correct for an out of state US boat with a US owner. A foreign boat with a cruising permit gets 1 year tax free in every state.

Maybe you forgot that mcerdos is a Brit.
If that is so, how is USCG documentation in USVI any different from USCG documentation in a state?

CT has a "use tax" that applies to ANY boat kept in CT waters for more than 60 days per year, and other states with use tax would also have tax exposure once their grace period is expired. I doubt they care whether foreign flagged or not, cruising permit or not. I have read the CT law and don't recall seeing such exclusions. Cruising? "Keep it moving, Buddy"
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 06:47   #24

If what you say is correct then the entire cruising permit system would be deprived of all function and utility at the whim of any individual state.

I has me doubts. Back later.
Old 18-01-2011, 10:50   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
My registration is paid at the local court house (same window as car registration) and if I don't pay I get a ticket from the sherrif (or some such non-uscg agency). Also the sheriff's dept walks the docks to check on out of date registrations. State registration is a state thing.
Old 19-01-2011, 01:07   #26

Try as I might I couldn't get into the CT legislation website. Maybe they want me to pay my use tax upfront or something. This is it. Good luck !

Connecticut General Assembly

I can refer to the Florida equivalent that makes it pretty clear foreign boats are exempt under the "Foreign Flagged Vessels" section.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2010/gt800005.pdf

Quite a few states only impose use tax on tax "documented vessels". That means vessels registered or should be registered either with the USCG or another state. This CT DMV page confirms the "other state" aspect.

Connecticut Boat Registration, Licenses, Forms, & Information - DMV Guide

I can't think of a single country that taxes foreign boats provided they meet their departure deadline under the local cruising permit system. Sure, overstay and you can have a really big problem - you'll pay 20% or so VAT in the EU but leave there or anywhere else on time and you are tax free.

Maybe CT just want to cultivate that badass image. Dunno ? ? ?

And so mcerdos, maybe you should bail out of CT after 59 days lest the taxman be as badass as he wants to look. On the other hand, you might be better off paying the $300 or so tax if you can get a good marina deal.
Old 19-01-2011, 01:36   #27
cruiser

Thumbs up boat documentation

dont want to type specific address as this post might get offed for solicitation,,delaware corporation is easiest and most reasonable method for usa tax pd documentatation then later you simply transfer corp. if you wish to sell anywhere on the planet,,boat never has to return to usa,,fees are cheap compared to yearly fees of other countries and boat easy to insure in uscg patroled waters if you desire such as hawaii etc or the philipines,,many links on internet will take you to firms that can arrange this with payment using credit card,,easy ,safe,trustworthy,and recognized by authorities worldwide,,this is not generally considered questionably ownership anywhere on earth and i would be surprised to hear of anyone being hassled by customs anywhere that had a delaware card matchiung serial number of boat..cheers
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 01:51   #28
cruiser

Thumbs up eh they are canadian

oh yea,,forgot to mention you dont have to be american citizen to do this as your simply non- resident corp,,,also i have canadian relatives and you can indeed travel within canada for more than one year without paying duty/etc ,,,those laws were changed many years ago and i personally met an american fishing salmon in pt. hardy{british columbia} who has been keeping his boston whaler 28 outrage{power boat} in canada for years without any tax?/duty problwems,,,and believe me when i say it is stored wide open in view behind the local hotel if anyone wants to take a look,,noone wants to double tax your boat even in canada so dont hesitate to go to canada and enjoy the great fishing/etc the country has to offer,,cheers
Old 19-01-2011, 02:05   #29
cruiser

some scarary stuff typed here,,hope customs dont scoop me boat,ha,ha, your comment "matauwhi" interests me when you say stay long as you want etc,,,can you send me info about this as i presently am negotiating sale of nz boat and would like to know bottom line of this VAT tax and GST tax of nz registered boats ...can i avoid the tax by immediatiately sailing out of nz jurisdiction and registering hull elsewhere?
Old 19-01-2011, 05:30   #30

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
For USCG both registered owners must be US Citizens, no problem if the boat is just in his wife's name ..... hmmm that's how i lost my last boat.
ChrisClipper is offline   Reply With Quote