Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2011, 19:07   #1

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Where Is a 'Title / Certification' Required ?

Hypothetical scenario: I bought my boat ,I did my hours exploring and I have learnt in the paddling pool called Sea of Cortez and feel I am ready for the
big wide world .

My question is where can I go as there is no mexican " sailing qualification" and I think not being North American I don't have access to any international certifications from over there . Mexicans will let me go anywhere, only requirement being that I pay the mariachis playing "Las Golondrinas " at my departure from what I understand.

So my question is who would let me arrive or how would I get an international certification of sorts? I know the question is vague, but it influences when and where I buy a boat .

Thank you.
Old 27-01-2011, 19:25   #2

I have not heard of any country requiring foreign mariners to have any type of competency certificate.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 19:41   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
you only need certs. if you are going to have a charter business.
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 19:43   #4

As far as you and your boat,it has to be registered and you a passport.
Old 27-01-2011, 19:50   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
g'day,

When you clear out of Mexico they will issue you what they call a "Zarpe", or oputwards clearance document. Most other nations (other than the US for some reason) will want to see this when you clear into their country. At least in the Pacific, they couldn't care less about your having any personal certification other than a passport (and of course the ships rego). And FWIW, in the 14 countries we've visited down here, our State of Illinois registration has been just fine. The legend that Federal documentation is necessary is not true in this area.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Morning Cove, NSW,Oz
Old 27-01-2011, 20:06   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adax View Post
Mexicans will let me go anywhere, only requirement being that I pay the mariachis playing "Las Golondrinas " at my departure from what I understand.
Los Golodrinas? I can assure you that your understanding of Mexico is somewhat shallow, not to mention potentially offensive, at least in terms of appreciating a culture other than your own.

Calling the Sea of Cortez a "paddling pool," likewise, suggests that you will have failed to appreciate the waters in which you've cruised.

There are no certifications to resolve the difficulties you will have cruising to a place such as the Sea of Cortez. My suggestion is that rather than purchasing a boat, you take up bowling.
Old 27-01-2011, 20:24   #7

Boat: Garcia Passoa 48
The sea of cortez is indeed awesome.

The op's question is still germane to others finding their way around on boats.

Both canada and the eu have boater competency requirements.

There is no international cert.

See the link below for canada.

National Pleasure Craft Operator Competency Program - Transport Canada
andrewsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 20:51   #8

pirate

I live in AL.,U.S.A. I did have to take a required test to obtain a Vessel License.That is the only requirement here,so far.
Old 27-01-2011, 21:01   #9
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey69 View Post
I did have to take a required test to obtain a Vessel License.
What was this for?
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 21:22   #10

pirate

To operate a vessel in Al. waters.It is not required for a boat or sailboat under 20' unless it also has an engine.
Old 28-01-2011, 08:06   #11

Dear CF Adviser Bash,

LAS Golondrinas is a traditional farewell song played for leaving boats and departing dead bodies. And it is precisely that dichotomy that makes it relevant to Mexican culture as Mexican culture is married to life and to death. It does not push death into a corner. It is part of life. I suggest viewing the mural by Diego Rivera where he depicts Mexican society, maybe the concept sinks in pictorially. Ever lived anywhere,where the funeral parlor is next to a rock cafe ? I have.

Now what better song to play for a departing sailor than one that reminds him of home and his mortality at the same time . Is humbleness not one of the best qualities a sailor can have when faced with the elements? This knowledge I acquired living in a traditional Mexican village on he outskirts of Mexico City, away from expat land for nigh on 8 years. So if you are accusing me of perpetrating a Disney style image of Mexico it is you who is wrong. Just because they play Las Golondrinas for tourists does not mean it is pap . Amongst Mexicans it has significance.

In general my post was an attempt at humor as there is precious little regulation in regards to driving or it seems sailing in Mexico. Yes I have a Mexican driving license.
Paddling pool - irony at my expense as I was referring to the time, when I will think that I have outgrown it and consider it thus and I do hope someone has the sense to play me Las Golondrinas the night before I leave, as when you have just convinced yourself that you have "mastered" something your ego is your worst enemy.

As I am not blessed with a US passport, but a mere European one I will have to face the possiblity that I might have to move my boat to somewhere regulated by Schengen and you know that when you cruise European waters you have restrictions . I would not like to get caught unprepared and have to move at a time, when I don't have cash to pay for a delivery captain. At the moment the world is my oyster . I can go to Sweden and buy a boat if I feel like it. So hence the question.

And lastly why do you disqualify someone without asking whether what you have confabulated in your brain is actually what they wanted to express?
Old 28-01-2011, 08:12   #12

Thank you everybody who has answered my question . I now know that there is a lot of room for me to move in on this side of the Atlantic, which was what I wanted to know .

Tags
certification