Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2010, 12:39   #1

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
When Does a Motor Boat Become a Motorsailer ?

I understand that sailboats under motor power, even with sails up, must show a black conical shape, pointy-end down, during daytime on waters subject to International rules.

Would this apply to a recreational trawler with a short mast carrying one or both smallish steadying (boomless, fore-and-aft) sails. For the installation I'm looking at, the boat might appear as a strange-looking sailboat from a distance, but such a signal would probably be indistinguishable that far away.

I'd say "no," but would appreciate and consider your input. Thanks.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 13:04   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
the answer is Yes. The rules do not really define what sails are , merely defining a sailing boat as a vessel propelled by sails, since in theory yours could be that, I say yes

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 13:51   #3

If the engine is not considered an "auxiliary", and the idea of pulling it out and only using the sails is absurd.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 14:07   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
whats the issue anyway, just rig a cone up anyway. its all a bit academic. Colregs are fairly broad rules, they didnt make them very specific. Given that in my experience, Ive seen hardly any cones being used anyway. Your a pleasure boat nobody cares.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 14:15   #5

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
I'm beginning to wonder if ANYONE, particularly sailors while motoring/motorsailing, uses the cone signal. Going through the West Marine catalog, I found a daytime anchoring signal, but not the cone. Where would anyone acquire one anyway?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 14:46   #6

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I understand that sailboats under motor power, even with sails up, must show a black conical shape, pointy-end down, during daytime on waters subject to International rules.
I don't know if you meant to use the word "even", but in actuality the cone is only required if the sails are up. If the sails are not up no day shape is required.

(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downwards. A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is not required to exhibit this shape, but may do so.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 15:18   #7

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
[QUOTE=Captain Bill;512155]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

QUOTE]
I don't know if you meant to use the word "even", but in actuality the cone is only required if the sails are up. If the sails are not up no day shape is required.

(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downwards. A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is not required to exhibit this shape, but may do so.
A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is not required to exhibit this shape, but may do so

The part in italics is U.S. Inland rules only.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 15:21   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Would this apply to a recreational trawler"
The only sail on a traweler is usually a steadying sail, which is not a means of propulsion. Regardless of that--your traweler is still a vessel primarily powered by an engine, so it is a motor vessel. The engine on a sailboat is normally an "auxiliary engine" which the sails are the main engine (propulsion).

In some parts of the US, like the Northeast, you will find virtually no one uses the day shapes, and the USCG and local water cops are perfectly content to ignore them. For just about everything except fuel barges and other "dangerous cargo" vessels, and even many of them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorsailer