Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 20:01   #1

What licence if any

Hi everyone I am new to sailing and have a dream to sail around the world.
have been trolling the site for a month or so which has answered most of my questions. The one thing I cant find is what licence I need if any. I purchased a book called Around-The-World Sailing Guide Alan Phillips and would use the milk run route. I am an Australian citizen and would be traveling on a Australian passport. any info appreciated Thanks in advance.

Ivan
thewog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 22:59   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: What licence if any

You probably will not need any once you get out of Australian waters. Most states have a requirement for a "speed boat" licence but since the sneaky buggers first bought them in for planning hulls to catch the hoons then switched to a maximum motor horsepower basis you now need one for a three knot scow once the horsepower goes above about five HP.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 23:01   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I doubt that you need any license so long as you aren't charging passengers. Just whatever you need to operate a boat in Australia.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 00:09   #4

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Im on a UK reg yacht with an Australian boat license and Australian radio operators license.
No ones ever asked for them. Ive just dropped a boat off in Gibraltar and didnt even have the license with me..
I did do RYA day skipper years ago but dont even mention it now.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 00:09   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

You probably need one of these for starters.. Maritime - Roads and Maritime Services

Once out of Oz no licence required...
Old 25-08-2016, 00:20   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

As long as you are in Australia, you need to comply with local state licencing laws (they vary - in NT, you don't need any form of registration or licence)

To leave the country, you will need Australian registration for the boat. You will not need any form of licence once you depart.

Edit: This assumes that you are starting from Australia and purchasing your boat there. If you buy it overseas and start from there, you have other options for what country you register the boat in. But the bottom line is that there is no internationally required form of licence or qualification to sail a pleasure boat.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 01:00   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

...typically called a recreational boat license for the states that require one.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 11:25   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

I would say that you are subject to
A. the law of the flag country. Such a country may not require any licence at all (e.g. UK or USA) for boats of 'normal' size. USA up to 80 ft.
Another country e.g. Israel requires full international sailing license issued by ministry of transport.
B. If you stay in any country for an extended period (period will change according to specific country) that country may have laws that such govern such boat operation. If you intend to stay few weeks at most - you do not need anything over point A above.
Old 25-08-2016, 12:35   #9

Boat: Bavaria 46 Cruiser

If you sail around Greece. You will need to purchase a transit log and fill it out from port to port and have it stamped at each port police office. . They want to see crew list, passports, boat papers and licenses for two people on board. It is all paperwork and they write it up in ledger books. It's s joke. We used a NSW boat drivers license and a Coxswains certificate. I think the usually get the RYA licenses from foreigners. They didn't know what they were looking at anyway. I got a lot of greif for not logging a passage and I hate their pointless system , it is s joke. apparently India is a tuff one too.
Wanderlust141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 21:19   #10

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewog View Post
Hi everyone I am new to sailing and have a dream to sail around the world.
have been trolling the site for a month or so which has answered most of my questions. The one thing I cant find is what licence I need if any. I purchased a book called Around-The-World Sailing Guide Alan Phillips and would use the milk run route. I am an Australian citizen and would be traveling on a Australian passport. any info appreciated Thanks in advance.

Ivan
You should at least get your ICC. Some places/countries are asking for it even if it's your own boat. Not hard, but I suggest getting at least your RYA/SA Day Skipper. With that, you can just apply for your ICC from the RYA. Either that or just book for an ICC assessment with one of the sailing instructors (probably means a trip down to Melbourne I know ).

Happy to chat if you want to give me a call anytime. Second suggestion is to go for it - the world is changing fast.

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 04:24   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ivan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc

« Cuba | US Invasion! »