Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2014, 16:46   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

I think the bit about unfit boats is good. Most boats that are in disrepair are not registered. I assume the FWC can impound these boats with short notice. It's a shame they don't. But rest assured the local guys "might" get around to taking care of the boat nearest my house.

I would note the $5 antique rego is a problem here. Who can't afford $5 a year till it sinks or breaks loose? Apparently some guys dinghies become unseaworthy at some stage as I see even expired regos on boats with the antique sticker.
Old 24-11-2014, 16:57   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I think the bit about unfit boats is good. Most boats that are in disrepair are not registered. I assume the FWC can impound these boats with short notice. It's a shame they don't. But rest assured the local guys "might" get around to taking care of the boat nearest my house.

I would note the $5 antique rego is a problem here. Who can't afford $5 a year till it sinks or breaks loose? Apparently some guys dinghies become unseaworthy at some stage as I see even expired regos on boats with the antique sticker.
It's not about derelict boats. That's a smokescreen. I, too, think FWC should be pulling derelict boats out of the water the same way abandoned cars on the interstate are towed in. It's about control of what condo commandos can see from their balconies.
Old 24-11-2014, 17:22   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK, I don't think anyone said all FL waterfront owners are wealthy, although there is nothing wrong with that is there?

But a lot of us are of the opinion that the ones pushing this issue are some of the wealthy water front owners. I think of it this way, they have gated communities to keep the riff-raff off their streets, now they want to keep us out of their waterfronts.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 17:44   #79
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think of it this way, they have gated communities to keep the riff-raff off their streets, now they want to keep us out of their waterfronts.
Sorry. I thought that the ICW was for boats, not for homes with a view? This is a bit like putting in a housing development near an airport, then having the airport shut down due to noise complaints by the homeowners...
The Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) is a 3,000-mile (4,800 km) inland waterway along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the United States. Some sections of the waterway consist of natural inlets, saltwater rivers, bays, and sounds, while others are artificial canals. It provides a navigable route along its length without many of the hazards of travel on the open sea.
Forgive my stupidity. I'm from Texas. I can't understand why folk would by waterfront property if they didn't want to see boats?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 19:49   #80

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
You know that is exactly what I have been wondering all along, how does anyone know or how can they prove how long I've been anchored in a particular spot?
They ask for receipts. Marina, Gas, etc...
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 19:57   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I think the bit about unfit boats is good. Most boats that are in disrepair are not registered. I assume the FWC can impound these boats with short notice.
I agree and have no issue with strict enforcement of derelict vessels... however... suppose the FWC does impound a vessel. Who pays for the towing? Where do you store the vessel? How long do you store it?

Besides, this is already covered under existing law.

I am literally looking at the docks for the training center for US Customs and Border Patrol in Florida right now. I don't know if this is the ONLY training center but it certainly is a large one. However, they keep the vas majority of their boats in a boatel.

I don't think that any law enforcement group here in florida has an impound facility of any size.
Old 25-11-2014, 02:38   #82

Quote:
OK, I don't think anyone said all FL waterfront owners are wealthy, although there is nothing wrong with that is there?

But a lot of us are of the opinion that the ones pushing this issue are some of the wealthy water front owners. I think of it this way, they have gated communities to keep the riff-raff off their streets, now they want to keep us out of their waterfronts.
Good analogy. There are some communities in Florida that have what I used to refer to as "fake gated communities". They had deeded over the streets to the city years before, but later wished they hadn't. So they set up guard posts, and completely illegally stop everyone coming in, pretending to have that authority (on a public street), to take the driver's information down, and then let them through.

Same mentality, just transferred to the water, going on here.
Old 25-11-2014, 02:42   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I agree and have no issue with strict enforcement of derelict vessels... however... suppose the FWC does impound a vessel. Who pays for the towing? Where do you store the vessel? How long do you store it?

I am literally looking at the docks for the training center for US Customs and Border Patrol in Florida right now. I don't know if this is the ONLY training center but it certainly is a large one. However, they keep the vast majority of their boats in a boatel.

I don't think that any law enforcement group here in Florida has an impound facility of any size.
Exactly. If there is no political will and/or funding, to use existing law to haul off derelicts now, so where it is supposed to come from with any new laws or regulations? Again, it's a smokescreen. They know passing a law will stop law abiding boaters from anchoring any place they make it illegal to anchor. It won't do one single thing to stop the people who don't care about the laws and leave derelict boats in places.
Old 25-11-2014, 03:16   #84

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:

I am literally looking at the docks for the training center for US Customs and Border Patrol in Florida right now. I don't know if this is the ONLY training center but it certainly is a large one. However, they keep the vas majority of their boats in a boatel.

I don't think that any law enforcement group here in florida has an impound facility of any size.
The Border Patrol facility you're looking at is actually inside the S.A. Marine Center compound (where Neeltje used to be parked). Impounded boats are kept in a fenced-off portion of the Center. I'm told that over the years, the Center has gratuitously hauled and stored all of the derelicts in the area. They say they do it for the publicity, but I know it's only out of civic-mindedness.

I don't recall ever hearing a waterfront home owner complain about seeing boats anchored out (it gives perspective to the panorama), just as long as there aren't too many of them. But that's the problem. Too many homeowners, too many boats.
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 07:41   #85

Boat: Scout 30

I'm not sure but I believe the landmark Marco Island court case was originally due to waterfront owners complaining about anchored boats ruining their view. Marco Island tried to impose a 72 hour restriction on anchoring which contradicted Florida State & Federal law. They lost in court & on appeal which pretty much stopped all municipalities from enacting their own anchoring ordinances without complying with State law. Obviously their answer is to change State law.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 07:57   #86
Marine Service Provider

I believe the counties pay for the disposal. St Johns county is super cheap. Other counties in SW Florida are willing to pay a marine contractor every few years to round up the problem vessels.
Old 25-11-2014, 08:04   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
The Border Patrol facility you're looking at is actually inside the S.A. Marine Center compound (where Neeltje used to be parked). Impounded boats are kept in a fenced-off portion of the Center. I'm told that over the years, the Center has gratuitously hauled and stored all of the derelicts in the area. They say they do it for the publicity, but I know it's only out of civic-mindedness.
I'm not sure who told you that but I just got done staring at that fenced in area for three months from about 80 yards away. The only boats they keep at that location are the customs training boats. I'm not sure if Florida has anywhere to put a large number of impounded sailboats not involved with a criminal case. I suppose they only impound the boats they intend to keep for themselves or those involved with something more than a felony, I assume the rest go to auction houses or somesuch.

When our dinghy was stolen, and then recovered, my wife went to an impound in Vero Beach but that was our dinghy and wasn't anywhere near the water. I don't think there were any other boats.

I wonder if the state leases property from marinas, like the feds do here in STA.
Old 25-11-2014, 08:17   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
They ask for receipts. Marina, Gas, etc...
I for one don't keep any receipts at all, I don't want the clutter.

No to be enforceable, I believe there is going to have to be some kind of check in system, how else could you know and prove how long some one has been there?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 08:22   #89
Marine Service Provider

I think you sort that out with the judge or pay the fine.
Old 25-11-2014, 08:30   #90

Boat: Soverel 30

Some florida counties actually send a surveyer of sorts around to record fl numbers and lat longs of anchored boats. They did it here for years but come to think of it i have not noticed this happening in a couple of years. I used to go out and in turn record his fl numbers.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
soverel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, current