Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 07:24   #46

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

FWC should inspect the sewage plants and make sure their through-hulls are wired shut.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 07:38   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post

It is true that most municipalities like Tampa & St Pete do not have separate sewer & rain drainage systems. When it rains very hard the sewer systems are overwhelmed & bypass occurs. If every boat in Florida flushed their toilets into the water every day of the year it would not equal the bypass from a large city in 1 heavy rain, which the EPA says has no adverse effect.

Don't drink the Kool Aid.
This is simply not true. You are probably from Boston or NY, both were built with combined sanitary and storm systems and are moving to separate them.

Google "MS4"- you will get a wonderful education. Both of the cities you slander are leaders in effective storm water management (no I don't work there).
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 08:32   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
Just a clarification on the amount of raw sewage legally dumped into the waterways by municipalities everywhere: MILLIONS OF GALLONS PER DAY
Not annually, PER DAY. The industry standard measurement is MGD.
Most of this is when it rains, due to the runoff seeping in to and overwhelming the sanitary system. My .02
Most people have no idea how much residential sewage gets dumped in the ocean and estuaries by accident. My ex-wife was on our water quality board for our county for a couple of years, came away from that assignment telling anyone who would listen that anyone who goes swimming on the beach in the week following a big rain is crazy. The E coli counts after rains would be off the scale, and in a week or so, they would be back down to normal.

A good way to know is to watch when oystering is closed during oyster season (if you live in an area that has oysters). E coli counts are why it gets closed.

Sewage release from boats accidentally, or on purpose, is a drop in the bucket compared.
Old 23-11-2014, 08:43   #49

Boat: Scout 30

It simply is true. The cost for every municipality in the country to develop a separate sewage system is astronomical. Some cities are trying to do it. Most are not. I'm not slandering Tampa or St Pete since this is common practice throughout the country. It's much easier & cheaper to make a symbolic gesture like forcing boaters to pump out. The real point here is that sewage from boaters has literally no impact on the environment & it never has.

By the way, I live in the Tampa Bay area & my family is from the Tampa Bay area. An intelligent person could make his point without getting personal.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 09:24   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by William King View Post
Stay away from St. Petersburg, they are all about advertising one thing and then nailing you with double the quote.
We must be talking to different marinas. I have found them to be accurate. I like the St. Pete's area.
Old 23-11-2014, 09:48   #51

Boat: 1988 Taswell 43 & 1972 Laser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwoodhead View Post
Please see old post regarding article in Cruising World, earlier this year: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-122748.html

See also post from Crusing World Forum (Control-F to search "Florida" in post): Costs Of Buying And Cruising On A Boat

Best wishes
Sorry for confusion above. Please see April 2014 Cruising World, pg.22 "Register in FL, or Beat A Retreat", regarding FL aggressively penalizing out of state boaters in their waters, anchoring or not.

Best wishes.

Chris
ccwoodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 10:07   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Do you remember which paper or news site you read this? We have been moored in Lake Worth (south of Peanut Island) for many years and would be affected by this. I have not seen or heard anything in the news about it.
It was probably in USA Today. The hotel I was staying at had copies for the guests and my partner usually brought one to the room. From what I recall, it was still all talk. No firm decisions had been made at that time, which was about a week ago.

When I'm back there next month, I wave to you from Sailfish Marina.
Old 23-11-2014, 10:14   #53

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
It simply is true. The cost for every municipality in the country to develop a separate sewage system is astronomical. Some cities are trying to do it. Most are not. I'm not slandering Tampa or St Pete since this is common practice throughout the country.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1257666/

Quite right, Scout. This article is a bit dated but seems to cover the subject of combined sewers well.

It's a horrible engineering practice. Thankfully , at least in my state, we are now also treating storm water runoff with sand filters and biocells. Steps in the right direction.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-11-2014, 10:20   #54

Boat: Leopard 40

Thanks much Julie Mor! We really want to keep an eye on any changes coming our way. Take care and maybe see you around. -Mari
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 11:42   #55
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
It simply is true. The cost for every municipality in the country to develop a separate sewage system is astronomical. Some cities are trying to do it. Most are not. I'm not slandering Tampa or St Pete since this is common practice throughout the country. It's much easier & cheaper to make a symbolic gesture like forcing boaters to pump out. The real point here is that sewage from boaters has literally no impact on the environment & it never has.

By the way, I live in the Tampa Bay area & my family is from the Tampa Bay area. An intelligent person could make his point without getting personal.

Please do take a moment to do some research. You are posting falsehoods. I am not impugning your character, just fact checking your info that is wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 23-11-2014, 12:12   #56

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwoodhead View Post
Sorry for confusion above. Please see April 2014 Cruising World, pg.22 "Register in FL, or Beat A Retreat", regarding FL aggressively penalizing out of state boaters in their waters, anchoring or not.

Best wishes.

Chris
Please read: http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/FFFVO.pdf

If you are visiting Florida with a vessel registered in another US state, you are free to roam for 90 days after which you must register the vessel in Florida. Is this too onerous??

A foreign flagged vessel that obtained a US CBP Cruising License is exempt from having to register in Florida.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 12:34   #57
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Please read: http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/FFFVO.pdf

If you are visiting Florida with a vessel registered in another US state, you are free to roam for 90 days after which you must register the vessel in Florida. Is this too onerous??
That is not new. It's been that way. BTW, it's 90 consecutive days and 180 days total for the calendar year.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 12:37   #58

Boat: Her Shine Newburyport 37'

New from Sept 2014 St. Pete sewage spill to linger, fouling yards and streets | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times
Capecoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 12:43   #59

Boat: Her Shine Newburyport 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
This is simply not true. You are probably from Boston or NY, both were built with combined sanitary and storm systems and are moving to separate them.

Google "MS4"- you will get a wonderful education. Both of the cities you slander are leaders in effective storm water management (no I don't work there).
Raw sewage spewing at St. Pete apartment complex

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgo...suites/2153224
Capecoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 13:01   #60
Marine Service Provider

I am exiting this debate since the debate points keep moving.

First the debate was combined systems- they do not exist in FLA. When challenged to provide proof of combined systems, the points moved.

Now being cited is a single sewer spill and a problem in St. Pete Beach where they allowed their infrastructure to fall into disrepair. St. Peter Beach is a fraction of the size of Tampa or St Pete. St. Pete Beach is a small burb a fraction of their size.

From the article about SPB that you cited.... SWEET SAINTS PRESERVE US this is an issue!!!! OMG "The last time the sewer system overflowed was Sunday, when about 50 gallons spilled onto the road."

Fair Thee Well

Tags
anchor, anchoring, current