Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2014, 08:13   #31

Boat: Scout 30
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Here is a link to the survey that the Florida Fish & Wildlife is conducting right now. Everyone that cruises or anchors in Florida should take this survey. Make no mistake, regulation restricting anchoring are not for the benefit of boaters. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AnchoringSurvey
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 08:48   #32

Boat: 1988 Taswell 43 & 1972 Laser

Please see old post regarding article in Cruising World, earlier this year: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-122748.html

See also post from Crusing World Forum (Control-F to search "Florida" in post): Costs Of Buying And Cruising On A Boat

Best wishes
ccwoodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 09:13   #33

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwoodhead View Post
Please see old post regarding article in Cruising World, earlier this year: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-122748.html

See also post from Crusing World Forum (Control-F to search "Florida" in post): Costs Of Buying And Cruising On A Boat

Best wishes
Missing the connection to this thread?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 11:56   #34

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I don't know why but some of these answers in this thread don't seem to be related to fact at this time. It's always a good policy to check for local ordinance but at this time Florida has no laws in place relating to anchoring. I personally do not agree with any type of restrictive anchoring laws except to regulate derilect vessels or protect sensitive areas.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 13:26   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC

Survey just came out with the proposed restrictions
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AnchoringSurvey
Windwalker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 13:42   #36

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I know this has been beaten to death but I can't seem to find a straight answer when I search the old threads. Everyone is too busy yelling! Lol. What is Florida's current policy towards anchoring specifically in West Palm/Ft Lauderdale area? Is the pilot program over? Can you still anchor in behind peanut island or up at the top of Lake Worth?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes you can.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 16:30   #37

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I don't know why but some of these answers in this thread don't seem to be related to fact at this time. It's always a good policy to check for local ordinance but at this time Florida has no laws in place relating to anchoring. I personally do not agree with any type of restrictive anchoring laws except to regulate derilect vessels or protect sensitive areas.
Exactly! However, there are already regulations on the books that handle this kind of thing. There is no reason for new regulations except to line the pockets of local municipalities and satisfy wealthy home owners. Florida is in trouble...

This is all about getting more money out of boaters. We have no state income tax, no state property tax (there is still local muni property tax), no tax on intangibles/investments, an average sales tax (6%), etc... the state and cities get much of their income from things like stamp taxes. So, IMO, this is a way to capture some additional income without having to provide any services. Its free money.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 18:18   #38
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Cape Haze. Lake Sylvia. Delray Beach (shown below). Just north of Linton Blvd. Bridge. We've anchored there twice for a day or two, but probably wouldn't be tempted to stay for weeks. They do have pretty decorations during the holidays!

Click image for larger version

Name:	delray beach anchorage.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	92192

Really can't recall other places where the new regs would be an issue for us. We've been up and down both coasts. Coming from Texas, we're on a pretty fast pace getting south to stay warm. Also, coming back from the Bahamas, we're once again in a pretty big hurry to get out of Florida for hurricanes season and thunderstorms.

We'll be passing through again next year. I doubt we (or other cruisers) will have any problems transiting through Florida. We'll see.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 18:51   #39

Boat: 1979 Hunter 30 Cherubini

People still live aboard in Florida. Just not in the 5 "Pilot Anchoring/Mooring Zones". The 'Pilot' part of the law was to have expired in July, but was extended.

The new proposals are onerous and arbitrary, fostered by cities looking for money and estate owners, like Delray (above), looking for privacy/exclusivity.
Sea7King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 19:36   #40

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Cape Haze. Lake Sylvia. Delray Beach (shown below). Just north of Linton Blvd. Bridge. We've anchored there twice for a day or two, but probably wouldn't be tempted to stay for weeks. They do have pretty decorations during the holidays!

Attachment 92192

Really can't recall other places where the new regs would be an issue for us. We've been up and down both coasts. Coming from Texas, we're on a pretty fast pace getting south to stay warm. Also, coming back from the Bahamas, we're once again in a pretty big hurry to get out of Florida for hurricanes season and thunderstorms.

We'll be passing through again next year. I doubt we (or other cruisers) will have any problems transiting through Florida. We'll see.

Ralph
For many boaters, this is the case - The ICW is simply a highway to somewhere else.

A point that has not been discussed. The FWC survey you may have read is the STATE proposal and is not what is discussed by the cities themselves. Most cities would prefer no anchoring at all - anywhere - in Florida waters.

For those of us who are professionals that choose to make Florida waters home limiting anchoring will put a huge burden on what most would term minority population. In my case, I often travel for a week or two weeks at a time for work. This time frame is squarely outside the time limitation proposed by many cities. Many boaters are not familiar with this situation but in most florida cities, that have easy access to a good airport, marina's are very very expensive; during high season there are no slips available. Same with mooring balls. So even if I wanted to get a slip, the opportunity is simply not there.

So, we need the flexibility to be able to anchor in a place that is safe from heavy weather and heavy boat traffic, which just happens to be the places that the FWC is proposing limiting anchoring in.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 03:08   #41

Thanks for the intelligent response zboss. If you would read and comprehend the Boat US document then you will understand the current law. I did, and I have been visited over 19 times cruising from the Manatee River through Sarasota county and in Venice by the special bureau of marine military taser ops units, the Manatee County Environmental Ranger guy, the Anna Maria Island Lifeguard undercover agents and other special police civilian operations intravenous drug users. Sure you are free to anchor where you like for as long as you like, just as it was meant to be. It is just sad what is happening, the bottom line is that no one has a legal right to interfere with navigation, period. Not that the Constitution means anything at all these days. The other side of the coin is a plethora of idiots who will anchor a 30' boat with a clothesline and a mushroom anchor, who live in the same place for 14 years selling Oxycodone never once pumping out, who don't check on their boat for years and finally decide that it isn't a lifestyle they actually wanted, who anchor out power boats that can easily be trailered away just because they know the laws and can indeed store their boat indefinitely and which, btw, is a sinking unregistered POS anyways (which really makes you wonder) and the list goes on and on. There is a giant clown element on both sides of the issue and good responsible mariners are paying the price with their freedoms. I have started a video documentary which is a comically dark and tragic essay of my own personal experiences navigating the west coast of Florida. Whoever you are, you will understand that you have no rights or expectation of privacy when you approach my vessel. Here is one episode: 4th visit by Marine Unit Officer: "your vessel is a derelict" me: "ummmm not sure I understand, can you tell me more about how or why my vessel is derelict" "well it is not navigable" "well, that is funny I just motored in here recently after sailing around in the GOM" "you have failed to display your sails"
"failed to display my sails????, what are you talking about?, do you think I am going to leave my sails out in the UV so that you know that my vessel is navigable?" long stare session here "can you inform me on the law here sir, do I have to display my sails?" at this point the Officer is visibly agitated as he silently evaluates me, I am now officially uppity. And even more injurious is the fact that this guy just stepped off his Wisconsin lake Pontoon boat and got a job with his mail order law enforcement diploma, employed by the city manager to "get out there and do something about these sailboat bums" We are not concerned with the vagaries of the law here in Nutbush.
Victory 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 05:29   #42

Boat: center console

Just a clarification on the amount of raw sewage legally dumped into the waterways by municipalities everywhere: MILLIONS OF GALLONS PER DAY
Not annually, PER DAY. The industry standard measurement is MGD.
Most of this is when it rains, due to the runoff seeping in to and overwhelming the sanitary system. My .02
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 05:49   #43

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
I don't have the link but I do know there was an ongoing debate about anchoring when I was in West Palm Beach the last couple of weeks. According to the news articles I read, there were some wealthy homeowners who were complaining there were ratty looking boats anchored in Lake Worth and ruining their view. Local politicians immediately reacted and began to propose restrictions on anchorages. The masses got up in arms in a 1% vs 99% battle.
Do you remember which paper or news site you read this? We have been moored in Lake Worth (south of Peanut Island) for many years and would be affected by this. I have not seen or heard anything in the news about it.

For the OP, there are many anchoring spots north and south of Port of Palm beach and you can still anchor for a few weeks without harassment as far as we have seen. We often see boats anchored just south of the mooring field that is south of Peanut island. I have not seen any local enforcement run anyone off *yet*. However, the main issue is dinghy dock access. There really is none but you can use the Palm Beach Sailing club dinghy dock as a visiting cruiser for a fee.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 05:53   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
Just a clarification on the amount of raw sewage legally dumped into the waterways by municipalities everywhere: MILLIONS OF GALLONS PER DAY
Not annually, PER DAY. The industry standard measurement is MGD.
Most of this is when it rains, due to the runoff seeping in to and overwhelming the sanitary system. My .02

And where the hell did you get that "fact" from? Could you please provide a credible source. The reality is very different.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 06:45   #45

Boat: Scout 30

A few weeks ago there was a major break in a sewer line in Tampa. Raw sewage flowed from this break for several days. It was followed by Bay News 9 which reported that millions of gallons of raw sewage flowed into Tampa Bay. They reported that the EPA tested the water in Tampa Bay & that due to dilution there was no adverse effect.

In a related story a person in a sailboat anchored in Tampa Bay pooped & then pumped it overboard. An environmental disaster.

We've become so disconnected with nature that we actually believe our poop is toxic. Everything that lives in or on the water poops in it. Birds are actually the biggest cause of E coli bacteria in the water.

It is true that most municipalities like Tampa & St Pete do not have separate sewer & rain drainage systems. When it rains very hard the sewer systems are overwhelmed & bypass occurs. If every boat in Florida flushed their toilets into the water every day of the year it would not equal the bypass from a large city in 1 heavy rain, which the EPA says has no adverse effect.

Don't drink the Kool Aid.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, current