Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 08:22   #361

Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I may be wrong, but I'd bet the current laws involving seizure and disposal of a vessel may be too complex.
I'd propose something like,
1. vessel has no HIN, no registration, ownership cannot be determined, slap the sticker on it, tow to impound 30 days later, dispose of vessel 30 days later.
2. If vessel ownership can be determined, slap the sticker on it, notify the owner by registered letter etc., that if they don't move the boat in 30 days, it will be scrapped.

This for vessels that appear to be not used or seaworthy, now you can sticker any vessel, but it has 30 days to move.
Define move to be what .25 mile? Record GPS co-ordinates on sticker.

Now I have to assume no cruiser has a boat that has no registration, and doesn't move in a 30 day period?
OK, so something bad happens and I have to leave, I get contacted because my boat is registered and this stops the scrapping proscess, or possibly register the boat as stored with FWC, which gives me 180 days?

Make whatever the law is become very well publicized, say one yr before implementaiton, have a signature block on registration that explains you have read and understand the scrapping / impound laws.

This is just my thoghts, but some laws could be written, that would deal with abandoned boats, just like there are laws that deal with abandoned automobiles, just I don't think a mooring field is intended to deal with abandoned boats, it's a smoke screen

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BINGO. You've got my vote on that one.

There are lots of people involved, and they all have different motivations.

I'm all for voting for issues individually, rather than collectively.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:12   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Those are great questions, but it seems to me that the FWC should be enforcing that, as opposed to municipalities getting more authority.
That's really the key to all of this, in my mind. We can quibble over the details of what the law should be, but if it changes every time you move from one city's (or one county's) jurisdiction to another then you are NEVER going to be able to keep up with what is legal and what is not. The rules need to be consistent across the state. It is just too easy, out on the water, to move from one jurisdiction to another without even knowing that you have!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:02   #363
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Care about Anchoring Rights in Florida, and coming soon to an anchorage near you?

Then watch this FREE Webinar on January 6th put on by the SSCA.
In my opinion the price of SSCA membership each year is worth it just for this Anchoring Rights issue alone! Phil Johnson does amazing work.

A Florida Anchoring Update

Duration: 1.5 Hours
Date: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 at 8:00 pm U.S. EST
Presenter: Phil Johnson
Course Fee: Free - SSCA Members / Free - Non-Members
Webinar - Join us live!
Whether you reside in Florida, pass through Florida on your boat or you are just concerned about boaters rights in general, you will not want to miss this presentation. Florida has some real issues with abandoned boats, but that issue should be confused with anchoring regulations.

Phil is the chair of the Seven Seas Cruising Association's Concerned Cruisers Committee and he will update you on the very latest attempts for local Florida communities to restrict your ability to drop the hook in a safe anchorage. Everyone needs to be informed and involved to ensure our anchoring rights are preserved.

After attending this presentation you will:
  • Understand why this issue is important to SSCA members and all boaters
  • Understand the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) plans
  • Understand why it is so important to keep anchoring regulations at the state level
  • Hear the results of the August-September Anchoring Survey and their implications
Phil originally presented this information at the Annapolis Gam in September and now this is a chance to bring this information to all the membership.

Phil plans to bring an update to Seven Seas U and any call to action based on the latest Florida Anchoring Survey when the results are published later in 2015.

The live webinar will last approximately 90 minutes. You will need Internet access to participate in this live session
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:26   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
That's really the key to all of this, in my mind. We can quibble over the details of what the law should be, but if it changes every time you move from one city's (or one county's) jurisdiction to another then you are NEVER going to be able to keep up with what is legal and what is not. The rules need to be consistent across the state. It is just too easy, out on the water, to move from one jurisdiction to another without even knowing that you have!
That's going to be the practical problem if the people pushing this stuff get their way. Cruising through hundreds of small towns in Florida, not knowing exactly where their city limits start and end on the water, not knowing what regulations they have enacted, but knowing that ignorance of the law is no defense, and resulting in a kind of "discovery of the law by violation" as you pass through Florida on your way to someplace sane.
Old 04-01-2015, 16:28   #365

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Unfortunately this is a very big political situation. As a Floridian all I can hope for is that the FWC will rule fairly for everyone.
Mainly, let's get a final decision and move forward.

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin......

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 17:03   #366

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Seriously. I started this thread. This is ridiculous. Shut this thing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-01-2015, 18:03   #367

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Seriously. I started this thread. This is ridiculous. Shut this thing down.
Once you start something, you're stuck with it forever. lol
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:48   #368

Boat: Camano Troll

Yes it is a problem if each town has it's own laws. I think that's why the state stepped in to regulate things.

It's easy to see why boaters get riled up over things like this, but unless you live and vote in Florida, you really don't have a say in what they do except by staying away. You wouldn't want people from Florida making rules in your home town would you?
Old 05-01-2015, 05:13   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yes it is a problem if each town has it's own laws. I think that's why the state stepped in to regulate things.
And the problem at this point is that the state is considering stepping out, and letting cities and counties set their own rules again. Frankly, I would much rather have restrictive rules that are consistent state-wide, over rules that change every couple of miles as you travel along.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:16   #370

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:

It's easy to see why boaters get riled up over things like this, but unless you live and vote in Florida, you really don't have a say in what they do except by staying away. You wouldn't want people from Florida making rules in your home town would you?
The FWC survey was open to everyone, not just Florida residents. So, yes, FWC does care about opinions of all, the legislature on the other side, is crap shoot.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:31   #371

Quote:

I worked in a federal law enforcement agency in south Florida. You might be greatly surprised to find out what states (and countries) some of the people were from who were having a major influence on Florida's laws. The ability to vote is not nearly as important as the ability to write a check, when it comes to getting laws passed. And, yes, they do take out of town checks.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:52   #372

Good points. Tourism is a major industry for the state of Florida. Hence we have an interest in the opinions of people from all over, not just state residents.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:18   #373

Quote:

The state stepped in because the courts overturned municipality rules, as the municipalities didn't have a legal basis for those rules.

A few municipalities (Dade, Broward) are always trying to slip in language that gives them more authority. Florida is a big state, and there are representatives from every corner with a variety of interests. If there is one thing we know, it's that there is always someone with an angle they're pushing in the back room. If there is general legislation being proposed, it makes sense for everyone to pay attention.

I suggest that anyone who boats in Florida feel free to contact representatives there and let their voices be heard. When it comes to boating, everyone who boats in Florida should be weighing in. I'm a Florida resident, but also a boater.

I don't believe that the primary purpose of this legislation is to solve the derelict boat problem. For that, specific legislation regarding derelict boats is all that is required. I also don't believe this is about establishing mooring fields for the general good. It seems to me that this is about trading some benefit (mooring fields) for some control (anchoring legislation), and it makes sense that we all pay very close attention, and keep it transparent and limited.

I joined this thread to learn more about the topic, but there is a lot more opinion than fact available on this topic. I'm looking forward to hearing the SSCA take on things.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:16   #374

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
T............. there is a lot more opinion than fact available on this topic. ...................
That's normal for web forums and especially this one.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:41   #375

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Letsgetsailin3 all of your statement is correct. Like you as a Florida resident, we are not alone when the suffering begins. I too hope everyone will stand up and voice their opinion. Someone once said something "united we stand, divided we fall", all boaters are part of this process.

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin......

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, current