Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2014, 18:04   #226

Boat: Soverel 30
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

I guess when Lin and Larry left the land behind they became homeless squattors.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
soverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:06   #227

Boat: Soverel 30

And by that defination i will would be a homeless squattor the rest of my life. Happily.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
soverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:20   #228
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Relax my friend. I don't think a lot of these guys actually do much cruising.

Ralph

:-)!!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:25   #229

Boat: Camano Troll

If the states don't have control of the water within their borders I should be able to conduct an illegal business on my boat. Gambling, prostitution, drug manufacturing and sales, etc.

From what I know, I probably shouldn't try it. The states have the right to make and enforce speed limits, no wake zones, etc. and I believe they have the right to construct mooring fields and prohibit anchoring or set time limits on anchoring.
Old 20-12-2014, 18:29   #230
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Be my guest.
Hey, you brought it up. A member asked for you to post the pics you referred to. It's only fair that you post the pics to make your point...

I've taken a slip at Moss Marine, and a mooring for awhile in Fort Meyers Beach. I've got no problem there, because I can anchor nearby at Sanibel Island if I want.

Boot Key - We've spent months there. Last trip back, spent a day at the moorings, then went outside the Harbor and anchored for a couple of days before crossing to little Shark.

Sarasota - I anchor near the bridge and skip paying for a mooring. I've also anchored outside the mooring field, since they have markers outlining the mooring field.

So yeah, I'd like to see before and after photos too.

Thanks in advance
Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:47   #231

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Hey, you brought it up. A member asked for you to post the pics you referred to. It's only fair that you post the pics to make your point...
Please point to where I offered pics.

Don't have any, but seen pics and the real thing.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:53   #232
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If the states don't have control of the water within their borders I should be able to conduct an illegal business on my boat. Gambling, prostitution, drug manufacturing and sales, etc.

From what I know, I probably shouldn't try it. The states have the right to make and enforce speed limits, no wake zones, etc. and I believe they have the right to construct mooring fields and prohibit anchoring or set time limits on anchoring.
What a bunch of dribble, just like much of this thread.

The first time I left Texas heading to Florida, I was a bit worried because of all the nonsense that I read on threads like this. REAL LIFE....Florida was no problem at all. Once, a LEO told me to move because I was anchored too close to the channel at Marco Island. Again, I was told to re-anchor because I was too close to a private dock in Lake Sylvia. In both cases, I really did need to move for the reasons they stated. That's it. Just use common sense, and no one is going to bother you. We've never been boarded, but I always have the y-valve to the holding tank, just in case the potty police arrive at some point. Have your boat papers in order, safety equipment up to date (like flares, fire extinguishers, etc.), and keep the boat looking respectable.

Happy cruising

Ralph
Old 20-12-2014, 18:59   #233
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Please point to where I offered pics.
Post 220, where you said "Look at the before and after of FMB, BKH, and Sarasota. If you don't agree they are 'better', then you'll never agree with the pilot program. "

If you are going to post something, please refer us to your source.

Ralph
Old 20-12-2014, 19:04   #234
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Post 220, where you said "Look at the before and after of FMB, BKH, and Sarasota. If you don't agree they are 'better', then you'll never agree with the pilot program. "

Ralph

I don't think DotDun made it to Boot Key before the moorings were installed. Not sure about FMB or Sarasota.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 19:21   #235

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:

Ralph
Obviously you had to have been there. I suppose Google could be your friend.

I'm not defending Florida law, I'm trying to tell you what it states.

I personally enjoy the mooring fields, I've also anchored close to FMB and BKH and KW and bunch of other places around FL.

As you stated, FL is not a problem. The mooring fields take up less than 10nm of Florida's 1200 miles of tidal coastline. So why is everyone complaining/worrying?

I suppose one shouldn't have to register/pay when anchoring in Dry Tortugas National Park, after all, it's just sand and no mooring balls???
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 19:34   #236

Quote:
What a bunch of dribble, just like much of this thread.

The first time I left Texas heading to Florida, I was a bit worried because of all the nonsense that I read on threads like this. REAL LIFE....Florida was no problem at all. Once, a LEO told me to move because I was anchored too close to the channel at Marco Island. Again, I was told to re-anchor because I was too close to a private dock in Lake Sylvia. In both cases, I really did need to move for the reasons they stated. That's it. Just use common sense, and no one is going to bother you. We've never been boarded, but I always have the y-valve to the holding tank, just in case the potty police arrive at some point. Have your boat papers in order, safety equipment up to date (like flares, fire extinguishers, etc.), and keep the boat looking respectable.

Happy cruising

Ralph
A bunch of dribble?

Followed by a bunch of irrelevant babble that's not related to the thread.
Old 20-12-2014, 19:53   #237
RTB

Yeah, just real life cruising experience. I've anchored from Texas to Georgia. Where have you anchored? Just in case you missed it, here's a map of where we've been in the past two years - and I say the small changes proposed will make no difference to most cruisers. More hype here than in real life. Florida just needs to clean up their own local riff-raff. The cruising community is not a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	94032  
Old 20-12-2014, 21:06   #238
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The class warfare comment came from the rather obvious intent to exclude people that can't pay $15 a night to stay in a mooring. Sounds too much like I don't want that type in my neighborhood to me.
I can pay, but will choose not to as I'm not a person that likes crowds, I do not like parties or busy restaurants either. I'll just keep moving, South Fl is not my idea of paradise.
You know that thread about where to spend Christmas? A lot of people posted about the nice resorts to stay at. One posted about a deserted beach where a couple of friends built a driftwood fire and cooked hamburgers on a discarded piece of steel and drank cheap beer. Well that to me sounded like paradise way more than the resort did.

See, I have lived on both sides of the poverty line, and you know what? I was the same guy then as now.

Ran into a couple of guys from the Annapolis area the other day, they sailed into the fuel dock at my Marina as their battery was dead in what most would consider a derelict, duct tape on the hatches and all. They didn't buy any fuel but pumped out, got water and plugged into shore power for long enough to get enough charge to start their engine. I offered them my little Honda to charge some more but they didn't want to. I commented about a beer cozy one had made from a fishing float, he had hollowed it out to hold a beer bottle, after I left the dock, he hollered at me and threw me the cozy.

Now as we say down South, he didn't have a pot to piss in, nor a window to throw it out of, but he gave me something anyway.

How would they have fared in your community that wants $15 a night to stay? I feel sure they would have been told to leave and if they didn't right away the police would have been called.
That's a really nice post. I like it! Thank You.

You know, the rich Americans throw their weight around in the Bahamas too. I just got sideways with a member on the Abaco Forum. A rich American, with a second home on Treasure island (Abaco, Bahamas). He was all upset -

Immigration and second home owners

A letter to the editor in the 12/01014 Abaconian caught my eye because I've heard numerous similar complaints: Immigration is routinely giving 30 days in the country when second home owners are asking for 3-6 months. That results in our either ignoring the law, which is not advisable, or a significant and unnecessary hassle if we take the time to subsequently go to an Immigration office to secure more time. It is legal to be in the country for up to 8 months.

So why is this happening, and apparently with increased frequency? Is it new policy? Are individual officers not being given the authority for longer stays?

I've been told that if I want a stay longer than 30 days, I should get a homeowner's card. That costs $350 per year and requires, catch this, an annual physical, letter from your banker, letter from your police chief- all annually! We already went through some of that nonsense when we purchased.

I'm in Treasure Cay. Take the second homes away and there is little else here, so why not treat us reasonably. We've already had to demonstrate that we're good people. Just let us come to our homes for as long as the law actually allows. Cut out the hassle."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, he's saying because he bought property in the Bahamas, Immigration should show him special treatment. Funny, what works in the USA, doesn't mean so much in the Bahamas. Hopefully they don't turn Abaco into another Floriduh.

Ralph
Old 20-12-2014, 22:31   #239
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
Yeah, and if all of you "cruisers" put their money where their mouth is, we'd probably be able to deal with the derelict boat issue by 10 AM tomorrow.
Jacques
There you go with the nasty "cruiser" comments again....

Hey, we'll be in St. Augustine again next year. We should meet up at the fort (Castillo de San Marcos), and have a duel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	costumed soldier.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	94037

.........or we could just meet up for a nice late lunch at Columbia Restaurant. Then, I'd love to check out your boat.

Ralph
Old 21-12-2014, 07:31   #240

OK, who won?

Tags
anchor, anchoring, current