Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2014, 17:37   #211
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Are these your definitions or the official definitions . There lies the problem. What about a cruiser that stops for 3-6 months to work to build up there kitty? Would they appreciate being called a squatter?
That's pretty much what they would be. No different than someone setting up a camper on public land.
__________________

__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 17:45   #212
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That's pretty much what they would be. No different than someone setting up a camper on public land.

So they're not squatting if they're using a mooring ball instead of an anchor?

How long are cruisers permitted to stay in one place, before they become "squatters"?
__________________

__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 17:45   #213
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That's pretty much what they would be. No different than someone setting up a camper on public land.

People like you suck all the life and enjoyment out of cruising.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 17:54   #214
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
So they're not squatting if they're using a mooring ball instead of an anchor?
No. They are known to the city and paying rent. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 17:55   #215
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
People like you suck all the life and enjoyment out of cruising.
It's simply reality. Why are you blaming me for it?

I didn't pass these laws.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:03   #216
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
No. They are known to the city and paying rent. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

Why should they be a) known to the city, and b) paying rent to the city? They're anchoring in the sand, which wasn't built by the city, and isn't owned by the city.

If someone is camping in the wilderness, do they owe rent?
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:19   #217
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Why should they be a) known to the city, and b) paying rent to the city? They're anchoring in the sand, which wasn't built by the city, and isn't owned by the city.

If someone is camping in the wilderness, do they owe rent?
Probably.

Nobody is saying you have yo pay for a mooring, only that you can't anchor in the middle of the mooring field. Doesn't this make sense?

You should be aware that FL is not the only part of the country where towns or cities (or marinas) have established mooring fields and prohibit anchoring in the mooring fields.

You really need to take this up with the various state legislatures and/or courts if this bothers you so much. There's nothing I or anyone else on this forum can do to change things.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:27   #218
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Probably.

Nobody is saying you have yo pay for a mooring, only that you can't anchor in the middle of the mooring field. Doesn't this make sense?

You should be aware that FL is not the only part of the country where towns or cities (or marinas) have established mooring fields and prohibit anchoring in the mooring fields.

You really need to take this up with the various state legislatures and/or courts if this bothers you so much. There's nothing I or anyone else on this forum can do to change things.
This is a forum. The purpose is to discuss topics of interest. In spite of my commentary, I can actually see pros and cons to this, but short of a slam dunk, I lean towards more freedoms and less government controls.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:33   #219
RTB
Registered User
 
RTB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Home port Kemah, TX Currently in Brunswick Georgia
Boat: Hunter 36
Posts: 1,509
Images: 2
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
People like you suck all the life and enjoyment out of cruising.
Relax my friend. I don't think a lot of these guys actually do much cruising.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:34   #220
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,432
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Is this really about derelict boats? I don't think that it is. Who's behind it? Nothing you mentioned in your post can't be handled with laws specifically targeted at derelict boats. If a boat is coast guard registered, the owner is easily found. If it's registered in Florida, as it needs to be if it's in the state for more than 90 days, the registration number is right there on the sticker. Again the owner can be found.

What is the problem this program is intending to solve? Maybe we should start there, and come of with a solution to that. If the only answer is dealing with derelict boats, we should have some regulations regarding that.

I didn't make a "strawman" of a large buffer zone around moorings. The argument against giving a lot of waterway authority to municipalities is the concern that they might pull a "Marco Island", and set arbitrary anchoring limits in order to appease a few influential locals, at a significant cost to the cruising community.

No need to get into chest thumping mode. Just tell us what problems you see this law solving.
Look at the before and after of FMB, BKH, and Sarasota. If you don't agree they are 'better', then you'll never agree with the pilot program.
__________________
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:37   #221
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,432
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Why should they be a) known to the city, and b) paying rent to the city? They're anchoring in the sand, which wasn't built by the city, and isn't owned by the city.

If someone is camping in the wilderness, do they owe rent?
This is where you are wrong. The state of Florida gives control of the 'sand' to the muni, so yes, they own it. Same as owning the streets and parks.

And yes, you camp in a park, you owe rent.
__________________
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:48   #222
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
This is where you are wrong. The state of Florida gives control of the 'sand' to the muni, so yes, they own it. Same as owning the streets and parks.

And yes, you camp in a park, you owe rent.
No, I'm not wrong. The 'sand' isn't a park.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:49   #223
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Look at the before and after of FMB, BKH, and Sarasota. If you don't agree they are 'better', then you'll never agree with the pilot program.
Well, how about posting those photos.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:58   #224
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,432
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
No, I'm not wrong. The 'sand' isn't a park.
You need to familiarize yourself with submerged land laws.
__________________
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 18:58   #225
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,432
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Well, how about posting those photos.
Be my guest.
__________________

__________________
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anchor, anchoring, current

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the CF Policy for Seeking Employment ? skeedaddy Boat Ownership & Making a Living 6 28-06-2010 19:41
gray water policy Loith General Sailing Forum 2 16-12-2005 20:41
Ocean Policy Report GordMay Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 0 08-05-2004 03:01



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.